June 24th, 2009

Sanford says he was in Argentina, not on Appalachian Trail

(CNN) - Gov. Mark Sanford did not spend the last five days hiking the Appalachian Trail - as his staff had indicated - but was instead in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the South Carolina Republican told The State newspaper Wednesday.

Spotted returning from the trip in the Atlanta airport Wednesday morning, Sanford said he had considered hiking the Appalachian Trail after his state's busy legislative season came to end but instead decided on a more "exotic" trip.

"I wanted to do something exotic. It's a great city," said Sanford of his five-day getaway that appeared to leave his entire staff and family in the dark about his whereabouts. Sanford also said no one else accompanied him on the trip.

Sanford wouldn't tell the newspaper exactly what he did in the South American country, besides take a drive along the coastline.

The South Carolina governor also said he hadn't planned to return until Thursday, but came back earlier after his chief of staff contacted him to say the story of his whereabouts was drawing widespread media attention.

Sanford expressed surprise the story was attracting such attention, saying it's not unusual for him to take such trips.

"I would get out of the bubble I am in," he said.

In a short interview with CNN Tuesday, Sanford's wife Jenny said she still has not talked to her husband since he left last Thursday and did not know where he went.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Bob

Who cares? He went on a holiday and all some on this board can do is spew their hatred. PATHETIC!!!! People on this board who have nothing better to do than hate, get a life.

June 24, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. Larry Kraus

I can't believe the Republican party just seems to shoot itself in the foot week after week. I don't buy Sanford's story for one minute. there is no way I would leave the country over fathers day weekend and not either take my family or at the very least tell my wife where i was going. this is just not a believable story we are getting.

June 24, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. korkea aika

I suspect a love affair. Poor guy, I'm with him....anything to get out of South Carolina.....but let's get real. Who drives 5 days alone along the coast of Argentina with apparently no one knowing his whereabouts?

June 24, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. Tony

This story really does illustrate how pathetic progressives/liberals are. This is a completely innocuous and unimportant story that the crazy leftists are trying to make a big deal out of. Is there anything more pathetic than trying to smear someone over a vacation?

June 24, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. Zion

There's something wrong here. I smell affair.

June 24, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  6. Just My Opinion in Texas

Um ... mmm-Kay???

Maybe it's the caffeine insufficiency this morning ... but does this sound REALLY fruity to ANYONE else??

June 24, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  7. Reinstate Darwinism

One more thing. Did it ever occur to the media or the general public that they KNEW exactly where he was. It's just they knew he was there ALONE and it was a security risk to tell anyone?

How can one "get away" if tehy ahve body guards and cell phones around them at all times?

June 24, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  8. Steve from Florida

Another holier than thou right wing conservative probably doing the humpty dance with a fine looking senorita!

June 24, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Steve

This sounds an awful lot like the manic behavior of an un-medicated (possibly undiagnosed) bipolar. Extreme impulsive behavior is text-book.

June 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  10. Vanessa

EXCUSE ME? What is going on with this guy? South Carolina, vote more carefully next time. You cannot believe anything this man says.

June 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  11. Ron In California

Clinton didn't have to leave the Oval Office to lie.

June 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  12. MLH

Sounds like the voters (and maybe his wife) should reconsider Mr. Sanford. Argentina is a lovely place and we all need to get away sometimes to unwind, but generally we let someone know where they can reach us.

June 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  13. Chinook

He should run for president, every body knows him now.

June 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  14. Native NY

Hmmmm, if I left my job for 5 days and didn't anyone where I was going or how to reach me, I wouldn't have a job to return to!

June 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  15. Real Change

"I told them Agentina, they heard Appalachia, and boy from there everything just got all fouled up. It's no big deal though."

June 24, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. karma

What a kook...worst thing about this is that the Lt.. governor is even more of a kook.

June 24, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. Shari, NY

This story is getting weirder by the day. By the way the flight to Argentina from Columbia, SC is no less than 20 hours one way (including the change of plane). You mean he spent just about two days? Please pray for him!!!

June 24, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. Big John

Was Larry Craig absent too??? Or maybe Sarah ? Something stinks.

June 24, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. Joe Terrogano

How many Republican Presidential hopefuls that have disintegrated does this make? This is an unstable man who is covering up something. No fears of losing thew White House here.

June 24, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. Tomas E

Something sounds fishy here. I have a feeling there is more to the story than is being told or reported.

June 24, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  21. George

Cue the Twightlight Zone Theme song.

June 24, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |