June 24th, 2009

Sanford to hold press conference

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, back in his home state after a mysterious multi-day absence that sparked a media frenzy, will face reporters in his office at the South Carolina statehouse at 2 p.m. ET, his office announced Wednesday.

Sanford told The State newspaper Wednesday that during that time he had been on vacation in Buenos Aires, not hiking the Appalachian Trail as his staffers had told the media.

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer, also a Republican, told CNN Tuesday that Sanford would have to publicly answer reporters' questions about his absence. "I think he is going to have to (hold a press conference). There are going to be too many folks...in the media that want an answer," he said.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. rjl1

Will she stand by her man?

June 24, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. Tesap;Savannah GA

Folks in the media that want answers..... how about in the state of SC.......He should disclose receipts... and tell them who paid for his "EXOCTIC" getaway..........seriously, they were thinking of this guy for President......wow :)

June 24, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. linda

Sounds like the guv fell off his trolley

June 24, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  4. Fed Up

Who cares already?? How many stories can CNN run on some Governors secret trip??

June 24, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  5. Dawn in Pa

Is he going to announce an affair? I actually don't care whether he is out of the Country, but lying about it? You have children and did not spend time with them on Father's Day.

How dare the Neo-cons complain about President Obama spending time with his children. He is more of a father than Gov. Sandford will ever be!

June 24, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  6. Cromwell

I'm sure there is a logical explanation for Sanford's secret mission to Argentina.

Maybe he was searching for Nazi war criminals.
    ~~~

June 24, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. Randolph Carter

Governor, what happened to that duffle bag full of stimulus money you took with you? Have a nice day!

June 24, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. Susann

Who cares where he was?? He's alive... If the media doesn't have anything better to report on then they need to be FIRED.

June 24, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. jasonDT

If this happened to a Democrat, it would be treated in the media and by Republicans as a national tregedy and, of course, caused by Obama!

June 24, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. GI Joe

What an irresponsible flake. No wonder SC is one of the poorest states (except for the golf courses for the wealthy).

June 24, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. Star B.

Yeah I think he have some explaining to do. This whole story sounds fishy to me...This should be an interesting story, once it unfoil.

June 24, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. Fair is Fair

Geez... this is getting more press than a Sarah Palin story. Enough already... the guy is more than just a little peculiar. The media has become nothing more than a flock of buzzards around a fresh roadkill.

June 24, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. Craig in NC

Well I don't really care since I'm from NC, not SC. We have our own problems with this gal Bev Purdue. What an idiot and it is frustrating because you know she only won on Obama's coattails... she had a (D) beside her name on the ballot and that's all it took. When I watched the debates she did with the other guys I hardly noticed her because she rarely said anything... which was a good strategy, because when they asker he a question she had no clue how to answer.

June 24, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. CHUCK

what a jerk!!!!!!!!! This guy should have gone to Mt Everett at the top of the mountain and then do the rest--– . he will be toasted in 2010 like Sarah Palin if she runs for another term in Alaska.

June 24, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  15. honest Ab

This doesn't look good; the wife should really question his behavior. I mean really, why would a governor take a five day vacation on the week of Father's Day? Goodness, people these days are just ridiculouos, they think of no one but themselves. I pray for the wife and kids, why can't men just grow and be adults. Take your role as fathers and husbands seriously. Our kids are falling off the cliff, because of idiots like this. Men I don't mean of you, just fools like this one, who seriously believe that what he has done is not wrong. I know many of you are great fathers and husbands, who definitely believe in looking out for their love ones, I am married to one. I just get so angry when I hear foolisness like this, it has been the going thing lately, look like everyone is airing their dirty laundry. This is why this country seriously need to take a look at their spiritual lives, people are living like heathens and just seems to have no fear for God.

June 24, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. Chris Mannoia

Jeez! Come on everyone!

We have MEGA PROBLEMS: healthcare, the economy, N. Korea, joblessness, and lots of others.

Who cares where the Governor goes for vacation!

Chris Mannoia
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Obama 12'

June 24, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. James M. Holmes

It's getting wierder and weirder... there is something very shady going that they are trying to cover up!

None of this makes any sense... Looks like another "family values" Republican is about to bite the dust!

June 24, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. Realistic2

This story is just weird. A governor just disappears and no one knows his actual where about, not his family, not his staff, strange. Most people understand that public officals are under alot of stress and need to"get away", especially after his fight against the stimulus money, must be draining to refuse millions of dollars to help your state just to make a political statement. But for him to go on a vaction to another country, leave his family behind and not informed and his staff in the dark, is just weird,strange. I can not wait to hear more about this, this ought to be good.

June 24, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

He's going to end up implicating himself in too deep. He needs to apologize to the state of S.C. for being negligent.

June 24, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. Melissa

lol. So he thinks we're dumb enough to fall for his lies just because he's going to say them straight to the press. How amusing. Sorry, he made his bed and now he has to lie in it, even though its a bed made of thorns. I don't believe a thing coming out of this mans mouth.

June 24, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  21. chuck

This goes way beyond irresponsibility. For his wife not to know that he was in another country is beyond anything I could ever imagine in regards to my own family. This kind of thing is way out in left field. I would venture to think that most of the couples that I have met in my lifetime would not be O.K. with a spouse disappearing to another country or another county for this length of time. Adding to the fact that he is supposed to be responsible for a whole state is frankly unbelievable. God forbid their was some disaster in the state and he was reading about it from Argentina. There is no excuse for this. I would never want to go somewhere "exotic" unless I had my spouse with me. Maybe leaving her at home was his plan.

June 24, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  22. Hope

You forgot to say a lying conference.

June 24, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  23. Steve/Boston

Agentina? Really?

It sounds as if Gov. Sanford is one of those lone wolves that we ought to be concerned about. What was he thinking? I'm wondering if he is mentally competent? His poor wife and children. She sounds as if she's fed up, and not willing to lie for him, or cover his tracks.

Poor S.C. the sheer narcissistic gaul of this guy is staggering.

June 24, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  24. Donkey Party

Can't wait to hear more lies...

June 24, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  25. Steve/Boston

One more thought. How did he get a spur of the moment visa to travel to Argentina?

June 24, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |