June 24th, 2009

Sanford's wife: He's earned a second chance

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's wife Jenny released a statement Wednesday afternoon.

Full text:

Statement from First Lady Jenny Sanford

I would like to start by saying I love my husband and I believe I have put forth every effort possible to be the best wife I can be during our almost twenty years of marriage. As well, for the last fifteen years my husband has been fully engaged in public service to the citizens and taxpayers of this state and I have faithfully supported him in those efforts to the best of my ability. I have been and remain proud of his accomplishments and his service to this state.

I personally believe that the greatest legacy I will leave behind in this world is not the job I held on Wall Street, or the campaigns I managed for Mark, or the work I have done as First Lady or even the philanthropic activities in which I have been routinely engaged. Instead, the greatest legacy I will leave in this world is the character of the children I, or we, leave behind. It is for that reason that I deeply regret the recent actions of my husband Mark, and their potential damage to our children.

I believe wholeheartedly in the sanctity, dignity and importance of the institution of marriage. I believe that has been consistently reflected in my actions. When I found out about my husband's infidelity I worked immediately to first seek reconciliation through forgiveness, and then to work diligently to repair our marriage. We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.

This trial separation was agreed to with the goal of ultimately strengthening our marriage. During this short separation it was agreed that Mark would not contact us. I kept this separation quiet out of respect of his public office and reputation, and in hopes of keeping our children from just this type of public exposure. Because of this separation, I did not know where he was in the past week.

I believe enduring love is primarily a commitment and an act of will, and for a marriage to be successful, that commitment must be reciprocal. I believe Mark has earned a chance to resurrect our marriage.

Psalm 127 states that sons are a gift from the Lord and children a reward from Him. I will continue to pour my energy into raising our sons to be honorable young men. I remain willing to forgive Mark completely for his indiscretions and to welcome him back, in time, if he continues to work toward reconciliation with a true spirit of humility and repentance.

This is a very painful time for us and I would humbly request now that members of the media respect the privacy of my boys and me as we struggle together to continue on with our lives and as I seek the wisdom of Solomon, the strength and patience of Job and the grace of God in helping to heal my family.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Vincent Davino

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envious. Love does not brag, it is not puffed up.
    It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered or resentful. It is not glad about injustice, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

You are a Real Lady Bless you
    Vincent

June 24, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. TMarie

I just have to say one thing....It's really between the two of them and should not be judged by outsiders!

June 24, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Hypocritical s^%$

Yet another right-wing hypocrite.

June 24, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. Jane

This is so silly and pathetic! He needs to remember how he gave Clinton grief. He should resign and get out of the political arena. What is with these politicians who put themselves on such a pedestal? They make me sick!

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. HgFlow

As husband and father, yes; as governor, no.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Pepper from California

If Mrs. Sanford feels her husband deserves a second chance at their marriage that is their business. I would point out that while she asked him to leave two weeks ago Mr. Sanford chose to visit his lady friend and not seek marriage counseling. I think the media should leave Mrs. Sanford alone and her children. However, Mr. Sanford does not deserve a second chance as a Gov for leaving the people of SC at risk. In addition, since it was his choice to run for public office the media has every right to continue their investigative reports.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. mytabloids

So she uses this opportunity to give us her impressive resume, from Wall Street to philanthropist? Puh-leeze lady! You and you hubby are so far gone, you don't even realize how ridiculous you sound!

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. esblofeld

She just doesn't want to vacate the upper reaches of society. None of these supposedly regretful and pious women deserve any sympathy; obviously the lifestyle matters more than being married to leches or sociopaths.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. Sari

Clearly, Jenny Sanford has drunk the Kool-Aid.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. The Game

Hmm, looks like the 'trial separation ' did its job, now i understand , if a man loses a good job , his good wife , would try anything to get him reinstated .. I can never find such a woman , oh well...

As for the wisdom of Solomon, ;;he cheated with foreign women in the end too;;;Doesn't she read the book of Kings in the Bible, oh well..

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. DBY

Only a MOTHER will do, what you are doing.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  12. Father of Four

Dearest Jenny and the Sanford family – know that you will be in our prayers and that He will carry you all through this wilderness. When we are weak, He is strong. To Mark – rest assured that none of us will cast the first stone for we have all fallen short.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. karuna

It is time for all of us women to say "ENOUGH" and not try and cover up for their husbands. Sure, there was love but when a husband becomes such a slime bag, it is time to take a real hard look and wonder whether there is anything worth saving, after the disrespect shown. For the sake of what??? To remain first lady? Kids are better off without this kind of parent. And the same goes to the likes of Edwards, Spitzer and Ensign and others everywhere. Women should respect themselves more and know that they can survive without all the 'perks' of being someone's wife, even as they are cast aside for someone else.

June 24, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. Scientific

Now it's evident why she didn't seem all that concerned. Wow. I hope she can fashion a better life for herself and her kids, away from Sanford.

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. Jane

Wow. "Sons are a gift from the Lord." Sons. And who wrote this book? Men. Mrs. Sanford obviously knows her place.

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. AMN

That's a strong, Godly woman. Can't be mad at that. Go on honey and get your life together out of the prying eyes of the media.

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  17. Anonymous

I admire her reaction and attitude far more than those of many of other political wives who have been cheated on.

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  18. Kurt

Remember how so many Repubs were talking about how much the Democrats have a lack of morals, etc? All the while they were having their flings. Well, well, well...that's a shame....

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. D Bori

Another Republicrat, representing the party that wants to maintain the "sanctity of marriage," playing hanky-panky on the side in his own.

The Demopublicans have their skeletons. But the Demopublicans are not feigning moral superiority and branding everyone else with scarlet letters for not following their Taliban-esque interpretation of Wahabbi Christianity.

Hence the key difference between the two sets of dubious individuals from parties that are essentially identical in most aspects.

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. jules

look l admire your dignity in protecting your household or what it remains and your sons as well. Gods bless you. l'm not a republican and never will be l hope that this story call for more humility from our republicans friends.

it is a shame

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. Josh

She wanted to work things outs... The narcissistic politician, despite seeking forgiveness from his wife, went for another taste of this Argentinian lady. Nice guy.

Why are all conservatives huge hypocrits?

June 24, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Andie

Ummmmm. Mark just got back from spending a week in Argentina with another woman. How exactly has he "...earned a chance to resurrect our marriage."

June 24, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Maureen

Another dirtball "conservative" Repub who can't practice what he preaches. I assume the tax payers have been funding his international booty calls?

June 24, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Helena

PLEASE – we need to place our efforts on world peace and the curing of all diseases – these people are a disgusting example of why the USA has the reputation it has.

June 24, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. makesUwonder

Kelly June 24th, 2009 5:25 pm ET

She deserves the right to either stay with her husband or leave him. That is not for me or any other outside person to decide.

End of story
    -----------------------------–

Perfect comment and I couldn't agree with you more.

June 24, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |