June 26th, 2009

House holds moment of silence for Michael Jackson

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The House of Representatives held a moment of silence Friday morning to mark the passing of legendary singer Michael Jackson.

"His heart couldn't get any bigger, and yesterday, it arrested," said Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. "I come to the floor today on behalf of a generation to thank God for letting all of us live in his generation and in his era."

Filed under: Jesse Jackson Jr. • Michael Jackson
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

American flags in Washington D.C. should be raised at half-staff today. Michael Jackson just wasn't an American icon, he was a World icon.

June 26, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. Michele Westminster, CO

What a sad day for his family and the world! I watched and loved Michael from the first time the Jackson 5 performed on TV. He will be missed by the world!

God Bless his children and family!!!

June 26, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. strong

A moment of silence?? Isn't this getting out of hand?

Michael was a gifted performer, not a messiah. Not being insensitvie, but let's keep things in perspective.

June 26, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. Ron

Why don't they hold a moment of silence for our military members that are dieing in combat? What about a moment for every other person that dies? Give me a break and do what we paid you to do!

June 26, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. MJ fans

May he finally rest in peace. My prayers are with his family, especially his 3 little ones. A sad week indeed.

June 26, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  6. TM of CO

The conservatives are going to rip this one apart......................................

June 26, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. Glennis

You have got to be kidding.

June 26, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. John

Nicely done.

June 26, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  9. Shawn - GA

You do not have the right to say hate filled things about other people. I wonder if you are like this all the time in your life or only when behind a keyboard. I hope it is the latter. I am praying so much that the hate will stop, we as people have the ability for so much love and kindness. However for some reason too many people choose hatred.

It is easier to choose hate and anger, it is harder to be the better person and rise above. I beg you, aim to be kinder and more supportive not destructive.

Please note this is not a Red or Blue thing so do not make it out to be, I am speaking to all people who choose hate.

June 26, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  10. Shari, NY

This is befitting. Michael might have had his trials and tribulations towards the latter part of his years but his contribution to entertainment was unparallelled. I think that he was just about the only one whose music effectively spanned the globe and broke barriers. RIP!

June 26, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  11. Delaware Girl

Was there a moment of silence for Farrah Fawcett too?

June 26, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. Abby

Some of you just don’t understand what a BIG part of many people’s lives he was. Particularly if you were pre-teen or in your teens even a young adult in the 80s like I assume Rep. Jackson was. This is a big loss for a big part of America so let us mourn without ridiculing just like we don’t ridicule you for having once mourned Lenin/ Elvis etc.

June 26, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. simp

To all the haters Michael Jackson was the most amazing entertainer EVER!!!!!! there will NEVER be another like him, period.

June 26, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. Lifelong Obama Supporter

Good for them! Everyone should have a moment of silence for M. Jackson and Farrah Fawcet.

June 26, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  15. makesUwonder

OMG............what has it all come to....................................hey, I'm a great person, I have a big heart, I donate and volunteer as much as I can to shelters...............I pay my taxes.............I work hard and pay my bills................I'm not worth millions...........I don't hang out with little boys............and I don't pay off their families to keep them quiet..........when I die will........."The House of Representatives held a moment of silence" for me.

With that being said, Michael Jackson a a great entertainer, but this moment of silence in The House of Representatives for an entertainer has just gone too far. I don't think they even did that for Paul Newman and he was a great entertainer and a great man that gave so much to people that had nothing by giving millions to charities.

June 26, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  16. Republican

Come on really... soldiers are all over the world dieing to protect people.. yet we hold a moment of silence for MJ.. yeah he was great but really, what is this world coming to?

June 26, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  17. Jason

This is stupid...are they having a moment of silence for Farrah Fawcett, too?

How about holding a moment of silence for the thousands of Iranians being murdered by their own gov't?

June 26, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  18. Island girl

It is not just about the music and dance people, listen to some of his lyrics! He was trying to reach out to a world of people who have been beaten down. He wasn't belting out some gutter garbage like a few of these singers do. Some of you should listen keenly to "Man in the Mirror" you might learn something, i.e, before you cast stones at other people you could take a good look at yourself. Remember – the stone that the builder rejected is the corner stone.

June 26, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  19. Shirlee

Michael gave his wonderful music to the whole world. He was loved by
    people of all nationalities. Yes, he is a world icon, and a musical genius.

Thank you Michael for the music that I, and so many others, grew up with.
    You were a gentle creative soul, and so many people were out to exploit you, sue you and get money out of you.

Your fans will remember you for talent and your music. Rest in Peace, and we will always love you.

June 26, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. Traj

Yes, they are serious and I am glad and proud of them for doing so. Some of you people are the epidemy of Stupid.
    Ron, I see your silly butt on every blog just saying stupid stuff. Your day will come one day, and none of the republicans that you idolize so much will even care. They will probably be glad that one less person they have to worry about. With your Stupid self...

June 26, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  21. Obama 2.0

How about Ed McCMahon and Sarah Faucet and everyone else that died?

June 26, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. DC

I enjoyed Michael Jackson's talents and was a fan, but a moment of silence at the US Capitol...no way! What about a moment of silence for Farrah Fawsett and Ed McMahon??? This is ridiculous. I guess the representatives were happy, now the media spotlight will be off of them for awhile.

June 26, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. T.R.

This is called respect.

This respect is for one of our citizens whom was known all over the world. I can hardly think of nation where the majority of its population does not know who Michael Jackson is or was.

We have had a moment of silence for many Americans, especially those that effected so many around the world.

Whether you like him or not he was a unique US citizen that effected many.

These people who do not like a moment of silence are out of touch. As a christian everyone deserves a moment.

June 26, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. Alonzo T. McZephyr

[Delaware Girl June 26th, 2009 12:15 pm ET said: Was there a moment of silence for Farrah Fawcett too?]

I was wondering the same thing.

June 26, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. Traj

Much love Mike... R. I. P.!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless us all, and we send special prayers for the insensitive numbskulls on the blogs today. R. I. P. Ed Mcmahon and Farrah Fawcett.. And for you other people, R. I. P. Elvis Presley.

June 26, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |