June 26th, 2009

House holds moment of silence for Michael Jackson

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The House of Representatives held a moment of silence Friday morning to mark the passing of legendary singer Michael Jackson.

"His heart couldn't get any bigger, and yesterday, it arrested," said Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. "I come to the floor today on behalf of a generation to thank God for letting all of us live in his generation and in his era."

Filed under: Jesse Jackson Jr. • Michael Jackson
  1. LINDA

Personal problems aside Michael was a great talent. He will be missed!

June 26, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  2. RICO

I don't understand how people can be so hateful, the man was more than just a singer, he was loved by the entire world. I hope when bitter people like some of you die no one cares, nor remembers you.

June 26, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. JT

Its because of people like Ron shows that their is still change that is needed in this country. For this idiot to say something like this make me sick to my stomach. One human life is not more valuable than another. I truly and highly respect and admirer the men and women that sacrifice theri lives for this country that doesn't they should me celebrated more than any one of us that live and breathe. Michael Jackson life should be remember because he was somebody just like Farah Fawcett and Ed McMahon, not just because they are entertainers.

June 26, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Laura, Boston MA

I wish they had done a moment for Ed McMahn and Farrah Fawcett also.

June 26, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Independent from a Red State

Is this what our Congress is worried about?? Please tell me this is a joke. Yes, he was a great performer at one time, and I grew up watching him, but I don't think our government should be worrying about having moments of silence for people who die, unless they are going to do it for every soldier that dies that they put in harms way too.

No wonder our country and the world is so screwed up. Politicians are so busy grandstanding to make themselves look good that they don't have any time to do any real work.

June 26, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. Neutralizer

Michael Jackson was the REAL CHANGE. MJ is well known all over the world, his fans came from different culture, different colors. Michael Jackson BROKE all the BARRIERS thru his music, his message was always: LOVE ONE ANOTHER, STOP THE HATE, MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Michael and Lionel Ritchie wrote the lyrics for WE ARE THE WORLD.

Obama can't walk in the shoes of Michael Jackson, too big for him to fill- THE REAL CHANGE PASSED AWAY YESTERDAY, we all mourn for his loss, a great loss.

Rest in peace brother.

June 26, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Steve

This is absolutely absurd. He was a great entertainer, sure, but it's not like he was an American hero deserving of Congressional recognition – like oh, I don't know, the thousands of troops that have died in Iraq the past few years? But they never made Thriller...

People die every day. Some famous, most not. Is Congress saying that he's better than everyone else? Ridiculous.

June 26, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  8. ozzie c

Michale Jackson was a great performer, but people please lets keep things in perspective. Where in the world is the grief and the moments of silence for the men and woman who die fighting for the rights for people like Michael Jackson to do what he did. Any to suggest that we lower the flag to half staff is a joke. That should only be done in honor of those who gave up there lives not for some performer who die from a hard attack. Who in the past years his biggest rise to fame was his lifestyle not his music get a grip people.

June 26, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. bj

I agree with Ron....... what about all of the military men and women who are dying? We should have all of the American Flags at half-staff EVERY DAY!
    My prayers are with his family and children, but we should not show MORE respect for a person who had never served our country as our solders do.

June 26, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. GI Joe

What a strenuous job. Guess they'll make a long week-end of it now. God forbid they should do OUR work (which we're paying them for).

June 26, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. Sara Supporter

That's nice. I"m glad to see Michael Jackson finally getting the respect he deserves. Too bad these guys couldn't have respected him when he was alive.

June 26, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. Middle man

I respect all three celebs who passed away within 24 hours of each other. What a whammy! I remembered Ed from Star Search and loved that show. Anyway folks, if you put those three names to the entire reading world, I am sorry to say that half of them will draw a blank on Ed and Farah. Michael? Take a guess!

June 26, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. SN in MN

American "Pop" culture is shallow, effete, and decadent. As the "King of Pop" he was the perfect symbol.

June 26, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Canada

Really, come USA???

What about Ed McMahon that died on Monday, how about Farrah Fawcett?

What about all your family , friends and loved ones that you have lost in the war?

When do they ever take a moment of silence for those people. I thought better of you USA.

June 26, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. Geo

Just because we think that a moment of silence in the house of reps was inappropriate doesn't make us haters...my god people can be so blind and so stupid. I loved MJ and his music, but really, this is just so wrong.

you know so many people throughout MJs carrier mooched off his success and here it is continuing after he has passed...have some respect for him and let him go and stop this grandstanding and riding his coattails...it's tremendously embarrassing.

June 26, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. Tesap;Savannah GA

Not sure why so many people on here are so mad over the reaction over MJ's death.. probably the same people who mourned Elvis for years. he was an AMERICAN ICON and LEGEND,a moment of silence if respectful. Thank you

Please people for God sake the man is dead.... if you don;t like it move to another site or blog............

June 26, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. ThinkAboutIt

It's called the House of Representatives because that's what they do: They represent their constituents, many of whom were shocked and saddened by Michael Jackson's death.

I don't have a problem with the House taking a moment out to recognize his talents and acknowledge his passing and the effect he had on people around the world.

June 26, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Jenifer

Michael Jackson wasn't just a celebrity, he was the world's all-time greatest entertainer. Millions around the globe loved him, myself included. He gave many of his millions to charity. He was an inspiration to tons of people and totally reinvented pop music. I think this warrants a moment of silence on the House floor. He will be greatly missed and I hope that his children will be OK.

June 26, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. KD in Houston

MY American flag is flying at half mass today. Not only was Michael Jackson a World Icon, but he was an abmassador for so many causes. He was a bright light in this country of ours. If people can't see that then they are stupid. And we do recognize those who die defending our country. They get a holiday EVERY YEAR. Can't we give Michael Jackson half of a flag pole for just one day. Get over yourselves. You people can really be an embarassment to this great country of ours.

June 26, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  20. Todd

It was just a moment what's the big deal!! It's not like they took the week to go to Argentina!!!

June 26, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. Island girl

One last thing. My ancerstors used to say "be nice to people, for when you die you might have to carry your own coffin".

Let's be nice to someone in death – even if you were not a fan or you don't agree with the moment of silence.

June 26, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. KD in Houston

AND for those askign if Farrah Fawcett is being recognized too, I am in no way intending to disrespect the dead, and my thoughts are with her family, but she and MJ are in two totally different leagues, which is why her passing was completely overshadowed by MJ's sudden death. I am not saying it's right. Every life is important but they are on two totally different pages as far as WORLD impact. Period.

June 26, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. RNC = DNC = politics as usual

@Delaware Girl "Was there a moment of silence for Farrah Fawcett too?"

What are you thinking DG?
    #1 she was not the right color
    #2 she was a woman

I resent JJ Jr. making a photo-op PR momonet out of Michael Jackson's fine life and accomplishments.

June 26, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. TruthFighter

People forget about the good things he did like writing, composing, and performing "We Are The World" to raise money for Ethiopia children. He should be mourned by everyone.

June 26, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. Kent

Please tell me this is a joke... If this is what the leaders of our country feel is worthy of recoginition in the house chambers than God help us all!!!

June 26, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |