June 26th, 2009

House holds moment of silence for Michael Jackson

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The House of Representatives held a moment of silence Friday morning to mark the passing of legendary singer Michael Jackson.

"His heart couldn't get any bigger, and yesterday, it arrested," said Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. "I come to the floor today on behalf of a generation to thank God for letting all of us live in his generation and in his era."

Filed under: Jesse Jackson Jr. • Michael Jackson
  1. doug

Wacko Jacko, Tiller The Baby Killer, These passings leave the world a lot less polluted and safer place for the innocent children (born and unborn). I celebrate these passings!!!
    That the house (notice no caps. because they deserve no respect for this) should hold any aclnowledgement is a disgrace. They should, if anything, celebrate this event!

June 26, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  2. Angel

I am not a Michael Jackson hater, and I believe death should never be taken lightly and anyone who passes out of this world should do so with some common respect, however Michael should not be treated as some sort of fallen hero, the man was a known pedophile that held his own child over a balcony and endangered its life. It is a fact he touched a lot of people's lives, however some of those were young boys who's lives were destroyed because of him, that being said the only fame Michael should have seen in his latter years was a jail cell and a mug shot on the national sex offender web site.....Now to all those people who claim they are so emotionally upset about his death that they feel warranted into making public scenes, trying to break into the hospital where he died, etc. If you really have or have ever had any respect for Michael now would be a good time to be an adult go away and allow Michael's children and family some time to grieve properly without his death and funeral being a three ring circus.

June 26, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. James

As usual, not a word from Obama.

Just like Iran elections, we will need to wait 7 days for an Obama response.

June 26, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. jean

what a waste of taxpayer money. I liked his music but come on, this is just a man and a very troubled man from the looks and sounds of it. If this is what we are paying our elected representatives to do in session than where may I ask is the moment of silence for the icon Farrah Fawcett who fought a very hard and dignified battle for the past 3 years and struggled to bring out the story of how hard it is to get certain types of cancer treatments in the US? Why is the FDA not on top of some of this stuff? Why must American citizens go to foreign countries (if they can afford it) for some treatments – the FDA needs to get its act together as well as the politicians. Let's put some of the same effort into getting cancer drugs approved for use in the US as they put into getting tobacco regulated. Farrah's struggle deserves the same respect Jackson is accorded.

June 26, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. Yepper

Oh good I was afraid we were about to run out of things for people to get indignant about. Carry on.

June 26, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Marc in Virginia

Some of you people are cold-hearted. Remember the outpouring of grief with Princess Diana? I certainly think MJ deserves the same. He was hero to many, many millions of people. I guess you would have to grow up in the 80s to understand.

June 26, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. God Bless America

Dear Micheal, God used you to help unify not only America but the whole entire World. We LOVE you and will MISS
    AMERICA"S #1 AMBASSADOR.
    Our prayers go out to your children and family.

June 26, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  8. Rachel

I am embarrassed that our legislature held a moment of silence for Michael Jackson. People die all the time – better people, too. Yes, he was a music legend. Yes, his music was popular – but he wasn't changing the world for the better. He wasn't running a charity like Bill and Melinda Gates. He wasn't donating millions to organizations like Oprah. I mean, come on, there are soldiers out there dying fighting for our country that aren't given a moment of silence – and they should be. There are really good people who aren't child molesters or addicted to narcotics that aren't being given consideration. Our government having a moment of silence is too much.

June 26, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. jack

wow, how utterly inappropriate. perhaps they should hold a moment of silence for each of the children he molested. shame on you, jesse jackson! you're on the wrong side on this one.

June 26, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. slowgun

Did they also hold a moment of silence for the kids he molested?

June 26, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. independent Jim

News of this child molester brings Twitter to a halt, which completely blocks the people of Iran from orgnizing the opposition to their oppressors, also on Twitter. I guess pop icons are more important than the lives lost trying to gain freedom.

June 26, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. ME AT FL

MJ was a world reknown entertainer and we will all miss him specially those of us that grew up with this songs.
    I am deeply saddened by this loss and my prayers are with his family.
    Michael you will be missed but not forgotten!!!!! RIP

June 26, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. slowgun

@inofritzn June 26th, 2009 12:56 pm ET

TO CANADA: you're right, it's an embarrassment.. Jesse and the likes will use this for a political bump and some photo ops.. he can't make the news on his own, has to leech off of others to keep himself relevant
    =======================================

Like Sarah Palin does on a daily basis

June 26, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. Dave

LINDA – your say "personal problems aside... " but that's the trouble, Michael Jackson was as defined by his problems as his talent. I, for one, can say nothing but good about his music and his charity work, but I cannot condone what he did "off stage". If he had tried to stay private, I'd have had more sympathy, but he fed off the publicity and it bit him hard.

While I understand the comparisons to Elvis, Elvis didn't spend his life in and out of court of child molestation charges...

June 26, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. gl, From Pittsburgh

I notice some people are just plan evil. It is appear to be white people who are the most hateful and evil face of this world. When I was young, white people where referred to as Blue eye devil and now i see why. Never have nothing nice to say, but claim to be a christian.

June 26, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. slowgun

Sean June 26th, 2009 12:55 pm ET

You know when the republicans are out in force when the negative garbage starts to roll out. Funny how they weren't crying for a moment of silence for the troops over these last 6 or 7 years or so. Michael Jackson was more than an entertainer. He was an Icon, Legend, Inspiration, groundbreaker, transformer, and a WORLD figure. You don't have to like the person, but you MUST RESPECT the legacy he has left behind. But of course this is america, so some people just don't have it in them to do that.

---------------------------
    Sean, you left out "child molester". And No I don't like child molester s and no you can't tell me I have to respect him

June 26, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Dave in PA

To: KD in Houston- I dont recall the President of the USA or the governor of TX declaring that the flag should be flown at half staff.

June 26, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. stevegee

Now how about a moment of silence for freedom and liberty? Obama and the Liberal Democrats are well on their way to killing The American Dream.

June 26, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  19. Ali

MJ deserv more than silence. I think he deserv a national day. He was face of the America and the world.

June 26, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. The Unshrub

And may the lord have mercy on his pedophile soul.

June 26, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. norb

Never a good day when a family member dies. However, this guy ended up turing into freak, a wierdo. He supposedly gave millions in hush money to a family to quite their allegations of sexual molestation. So now we give a moment of silence to the weird? God Bless America.

June 26, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. Ali

MJ deserved a national day. He was face of the America and the world.

June 26, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. gl, From Pittsburgh

White people can you answer my question. Why are you guy so hateful toward black people? Give if a break all ready. I am tried of you racist pigs.

June 26, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. Inconvenient

I will be writing to all of my elected representatives to protest this obscene honoring of a PEDOPHILE. So incredibly offensive to all, espcially those of us who spend their lives fighting this very evil.

June 26, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. norb

Never a good day when a family member dies. However, this guy ended up turning into freak, a wierdo. He supposedly gave millions in hush money to a family to quiet their allegations of sexual molestation. So now we give a moment of silence to the weird? God Bless America.

June 26, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |