June 26th, 2009

House holds moment of silence for Michael Jackson

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The House of Representatives held a moment of silence Friday morning to mark the passing of legendary singer Michael Jackson.

"His heart couldn't get any bigger, and yesterday, it arrested," said Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. "I come to the floor today on behalf of a generation to thank God for letting all of us live in his generation and in his era."

Filed under: Jesse Jackson Jr. • Michael Jackson
  1. Kymberlee

Michael Jackson was more than just an entertainer. He has influenced several generations of performers that have come after him. It was his music videos, and the desire of millions to hear them, that forced MTV to reconsider their stance on not playing "black music". He also helped to launch BET into the major communications arena because faithful fans of all ethnicities flocked to the network to view his incredible videos. He changed the face of videos. Opting for videos with short story lines, themes, wardrobe, and intricate choreography instead of just standing on a stage and singing, which was the standard before him. Michael Jackson was an ambassador for the USA throughout the world. It is more than appropriate that the House of Representatives chose to acknowledge his passing with a moment of silence. They represent the people and the people are grieving.

June 26, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. seebofubar

KD
    Quite honestly, to many of us Farrah's passing is more disturbing, She was a good honest person unlike Jackson who was nothing but a high profile pedafile.

June 26, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  3. tex guy..

who the heck was Michel Jackson????????????/

June 26, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. prince of ontario

they both died same day, same hospital..they are both celebrities, taking Hollywood as Umbrella now they are gone... gone to soon.... May they both seek Heaven Amen.... can somebody shout Amen

Amen...

June 26, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Independent

Why is being a "giftted entertainer" the standard for recognition now? Perhaps our world and especially our country worships celebrity (just look who we elected president). Gotta fill that empty whole in our head and heart somehow I guess.

I grew up listening to MJs music and enjoyed it but something is wrong with our country when we pay "special tribute" to entertainers above others. What utter immaturity that our elected officials act like they can't deal with the loss of a celebrity without some very public display of cartharsis.

His life is no more valuable than yours and IF he damaged a young persons life it is certainly much less valuable. No matter how many records sold or money donated NOTHING can make up for the damage done to a young life.

June 26, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. David

Michael Jackosn brought more love and peace to this world than most world leaders (i.e. Bush!). God Bless our MJ. Teach the angels how to sing and dance.

June 26, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. steveandhiscat

A classic example of skewed priorities....gimme a break will ya.

June 26, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Connie

What about Farrah Fawcett its like she just got pushed out of the news because of Michael Jackson who was a very strange individual -I mean I will give credit where credit is due and in his younger years he was the best but in his later years he turned into a strange ole white woman that was also a child molester & pedifile she was a sweet down to earth girl not a diva she was an icon in the day and millions of people LOVED her unfortunatly Jackson died on the same day which made her seem less important-how about some sort of truibute to her? Thanks Connie

June 26, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. dj

Hey Traj-interesting you call someone else the EPITOME of stupidity and can't even spell the word correctly.

June 26, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Anthony In Miami

I can't believe what I'm reading here! This is crazy to read some of the hateful tones and silly comments on here. Let's see, they took what 30 seconds, a minute and provided silence for one of the most transformational figures in our history. Farrah, as much as I loved her on Charlie's Angels was on a TV show and made the Playboy photo op of probably all time. Ed McMahon, I thought was an even bigger figure than her. He also was a veteran and a two-service commissioned officer who will be recognized appropriately by the Air Force and Marines in a flag draped coffin and 21 gun salute. Michael, was the greatest performer of our time or maybe even history. He changed our music, our culture and our belief. We complicated him by trying to make him equal to who we are. But it's sad he died lonely wanting a love he could never feel because he lost his childhood to make us happy in his music. It's too bad our hatred, bigotry, small mindedness, need to be better than him and failure to understand he never could feel love ruins our perception of how great he really was. Every generation has something they hold dear. Michael Jackson was a special talent! He sometimes healed the world in places we couldn't touch. And if that is deserving of a moment of silence, I don't know what is.

June 26, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Steven

-Funny how all these critics remark on a moment of silence when this may actually bring a world wide attention to self-health and abuse of man made pills which destroy the body which many Dr."s dont advise their consumers of.
    – He made more money and impacted more people then the other 2 entertainers. His was my Elvis and my Beatles and he outperformed them all!
    -His kids do not need this either, their being robbed from their childhood even more now due to this.

June 26, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. Jason

I haven't heard a peep about Michael Jackson in the media for at least a year and its literally been that long since i've heard him on any radio station... but its chic to say he was the greatest pop star alive and its hands across America, in honor of someone whom everyone actually forgot about.

I hear a song written by John Lennon at least once every two or three days, possibly more. He's the true "king of pop" if there ever was one

June 26, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  13. debbie

I can't believe they did this, are they also going to hold a moment of silence for Farrah Fawcett?? She was an ircon as well.

June 26, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. MJ Fan

Nobody complains when white entertainers are mourned while black entertainers pass without recognition, or barely an honorable mention i.e. Gerald Levert, Luther Vandross and many more!

For the record, I wanted to be Farrah Fawcett, but the fact remains that MJ had a bigger impact world wide.

June 26, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. dana monagan

I can see why it was done, while I agree with others about our soldiers deserving their due as well.

When I turned on BBC and the Euro news, I was surprised how people are reacing worldwide.

I feel for Farrah and Ed McMahon as well, but they did not have the massive world impact that MJ did.

I think most people are focusing on the entertainer and not the tabloid king he became in later years. For now I am okay with that, I am not blind to the other aspects of his life I would just rather focus on the entertainer

June 26, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. SGJ

I was sorry to Farrah Fawecett passed away – But she is no comparison to Michael Jackson. But then again some people think Sarah Palin is a real politician or a presidential contender.

June 26, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. Kelly

You all are pathetic!!! Get a life and get off the blog with such negative comments. If you're life were required of you tonight, meaning, if you died today, would you waste such time sharing such negativity? Get saved through the Lord Jesus Christ, and do something with your lives besides commenting on a blog about a man who deserves some level of reflection and respect. At least his life did impact the world and his legacy will remain for generations to come. What about your life? Meditate on that!!!

June 26, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. Pat

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sorry he's passed away but 48 hours. There must be other things going on in the world.........

June 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. America is so Angry -Y-

All of you hateful disrespectful low down dirty DOGS are lower than Ahmadinejad ... Like it or not Michael Jackson was a World ICON **** We have had a moment of silence for many Americans, especially those that effected so many around the world.

Sometimes it is best to keep your Mouth shut and let people think you are Stupid than to open up your Moutjh and remove all DOUBTS

God Bless his family!!!

June 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  20. don corpier

oh please-this is outrageous. the idiots in congress have nothing better to do than hold a moment of silence for mj. this guy was a child molester pure and simple. political thumping for votes-how disgusting. mj was a bubble gum entertainer and nothing else. he was not GOD.

June 26, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Obama for Prime Minister

He was a gifted performer who saw unparralleled success and broke the colour barrier. That's why he deserves a moment of silence.

June 26, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. jeff jackson

Great. Our House of Representatives held a moment of
    silence for a child molester.
    Something just isn't in sync in our country !!!

June 26, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Patrick, Lake Stevens, Washington

Well said, Mr. Jackson and a very nice thing to do.

June 26, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. skyhawkdriver

You are kidding me,right??..I mean I feel sorry for his family..but give me a break..I hope they held a moment of silence for ed mcmahon also..at least he served his country..I have thought of comparing congress to the three stooges but I to much respect for Moe Larry and Curly

June 26, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. honest Ab

I too offer my condelences to the Jackson family, and realize that he was a great entertainer and humanitarian, but putting the flag at half staff is disrepect for our fallen soldiers. As mention before I am a military spouse of a serviceman, who has served diligently for 24 years in our armed forces. For those of you, who are putting your flags at half staff, please no the proper protocol for doing so, this is only done when brave men and women have made a sacrifice of their lives to serve and protect this country, not because you were a great entertainer or barrier breaker. Though people become great entertainers or make a great historical impact in this country, they are not in the same category as those who have lost their lives to protect this country.

June 26, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |