June 26th, 2009

Sanford: 'Just trying to survive today'

Sanford brushed aside calls for his resignation Friday.
Sanford brushed aside calls for his resignation Friday.

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford brushed aside calls for his resignation Friday, telling reporters he is just trying to "survive today."

"I'm just trying to survive today is what I'm trying to do," he said in a brief question-and-answer session with members of the media, adding that "my hunch is to continue on."

The embattled governor also praised his wife Jenny's reaction to his admission of an affair with an Argentine woman.

"Jenny has been absolutely magnanimous and gracious as a wonderful Christian woman in this process," Sanford said.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. What Price Argentina Man?

Missing in action and saying he's taking a break from politics = $500.
    Fooling his staff, and keeping them in the dark, with a ridiculous Georgia hiking story = $1000.
    Getting caught coming back from Argentina, druing Father's Day weekend, after visiting his mistress and having to "fess up" = priceless, priceless.

June 26, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Susie

Let me find that little man with the little violin to play him a sad song.
    I applaud his wife for NOT standing by him, refreshing change from usual political wife when husband caught cheating.
    Let them learn there are consequences for their actions. Something most of us learned as children.

June 26, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. JP

Another hypocrite crying crocodile tears, "I've sinned, please forgive me, the lord will forgive me". Yeah, same old song and dance from the holier than thou.

June 26, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. Jeff from Atlanta

for all of you blasting him for confessing and saying he should resign, are you the same people who stuck up for and said leave bill "I'll do anything that moves and deny it" clinton alone although he refused to confess, was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, (unless you somehow think someone stole his sperm and spread it on Monica's dress), committed perjury.

Now I know the real democratic party. I would rather be the party of no, (to idiotic spending and apologizing to everyone who will listen, etc) than the party of hypocrites

June 26, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Jim

Gov. Sanford left his post and his State, had no communication with his staff, and told no one where he was for an entire week. If someone in the armed forces did the same thing (see see a girlfriend or wife or for any other reason), that person would be "Absent Without Leave" (AWOL).

What is the military punishment for being AWOL? Should an AWOL Governor face any less punishment?

June 26, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. Jim in San Jose 2

Ancient Texan,

Clinton's perjury was cause for MANY Republicans to call on him to resign, and when they couldn't generate enough votes to remove him from office, they censured him. And he never left the White House without notification to any of his staffers to get a quickie in Argentina.

I don't think Sanford should quit because he had an affair, but because he abandoned his office and his responsibilities to pursue some personal agenda. If I were to behave in such a way, my employer would not hesitate to fire me on the spot.

June 26, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  7. Jim in San Jose 2

Jeff,

Youre right. Clinton should have been removed from office, because an investigation into his supposedly corrupt finances couldn't turn up evidence, so they decided to go after his personal life. He didn't leave his office, staff, and country leaderless for 5 days while he went out and "did anything that moved". And as to the party of no wasted money and bloated spending, where was that attitude when Bush was doing the same thing? Oh, that's right, you were probably wearing a cheerleader's outfit while supporting him...

June 26, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  8. johnnie

he could not survive this ,if jesse jackson ,al sharpton,or rush limp-pain gave him support

June 26, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. Emma

So sorry for you, Mr. Sanford. You must be experiencing a painful struggle. Despite Rush Limbaugh's implication, Obama did not make you into a cheater.

June 26, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  10. bkinmass

According to Time, adultery is punishable in South Carolina by up to a year in prison and a $500 fine. Although I don't know if it is still enforced, or it is applicable if the said offense happens outside its borders.
    Nevertheless, Governor Sanford could face criminal charges.

June 26, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. bk in MA

South Carolina Code of Laws:

SECTION 16-15-60. Adultery or fornication.

Any man or woman who shall be guilty of the crime of adultery or fornication shall be liable to indictment and, on conviction, shall be severally punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than one year or by both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.

SECTION 16-15-70. "Adultery" defined.

"Adultery" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of a man and woman when either is lawfully married to some other person.

June 26, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  12. Willa

A christian hypocrite...:-) Sanford that is...

June 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. Hopeful Optimist

Usually I'd say that his personal business should be off limits. However, I'm aware that he was very judgmental toward Bill Clinton during his time of trouble, so that makes him the ultimate bottom feeder - a hypocrit. Therefore, he's fair game.

You know, the American people will abide lots of indiscretions - but not hypocrisy.

June 26, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Kate in San Diego

I think Sanford would do well to leave Christianity out of this mess.

June 26, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. Bob Dobb

Your wife sent the e-mails to the press, Sanford.

June 26, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  16. Lana Rollins

I am sure he suddenly confessed because he was going to be exposed anyway. I am glad his wife is not playing "stand by me" with this person. He is an adult and entered into an affair. I would actually respect him more if he was man enough to say he did exactly what he wanted to do, rather than pretending to be sorry. He can never be trusted again publically or in private.

June 26, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  17. B.H.

His wife sounds like a Christian, but he is anything but....
    He should have given some thought about whether his family would survive his lies and betrayal while going AWOL from his job!

What a total low life!

June 26, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. FormerGOP

I don’t know why everyone is surprised the whole GOP has a double standard, “do as I say not as I do” Stanford is just another example of that. The GOP like to claim the are Good and clean, and everyone else is beneath them. Well all I have to say is “Pride comes before the fall.”

June 26, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  19. S Callahan

Many of us are praying for you, and the restoration to you and your family. It's time to get away from the media and focus soley on God and your family since in the long run they are the ones you are truly accountable to.

June 26, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  20. JonDie

"Leave Your Comment"

I did but it didn't get published.

Bitter_American June 26th, 2009 2:14 pm ET
    "I respect Gov. Sanford for the way he the admitted his mistakes. He is taking his lumps and only time will tell if he is a survivor."

Just like a Bitter_American to cling to his guns, his religion and his hypocrisy.

June 26, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |