June 26th, 2009

Sanford: 'Just trying to survive today'

Sanford brushed aside calls for his resignation Friday.
Sanford brushed aside calls for his resignation Friday.

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford brushed aside calls for his resignation Friday, telling reporters he is just trying to "survive today."

"I'm just trying to survive today is what I'm trying to do," he said in a brief question-and-answer session with members of the media, adding that "my hunch is to continue on."

The embattled governor also praised his wife Jenny's reaction to his admission of an affair with an Argentine woman.

"Jenny has been absolutely magnanimous and gracious as a wonderful Christian woman in this process," Sanford said.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Bitter_American

I respect Gov. Sanford for the way he the admitted his mistakes. He is taking his lumps and only time will tell if he is a survivor.

June 26, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Pragmatic

""Jenny has been absolutely magnanimous and gracious as a wonderful Christian woman in this process," .....

.... good for her. Shame on you ... you pickled "sparking" rather than a wonderful Christian woman who gave you 4 precious children. Whatever you say now rings a bit hollow ... considering who you chose be with on Father's Day.

June 26, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. Chris D.

Who cares.....This guy is sorry b/c he got caught.....Like Larry King stated, was he this sorry in Argentina? Anyway non story now.....Let him work, or make his carrer decisions now.....

June 26, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. yuri

Hey Mark! You can survive better, after you resign. What a worm!

June 26, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. willowood

Is there any chance you would show some character and resign.? Any chance you will stop using your Christian Faith as your roadmap to Argentina and back. Somewhere you took a really bad turn. I vote Mrs. Sanford step in as Governor and HER sons to fill other vacancies.

"Never adopt a philosophy that suppports a lack of courage." You might mull over those words, as your wife certainly already understands their meaning.

June 26, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. carlos

the christian thing again.....evil sinners these CONServatives

Did Mrs Sanford read all the emails yet?....I guess not

June 26, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. Donkey Party

Do the people of SC really want this primadonna as their Governor? What a pathetic excuse for a man, and quit quoting the Bible you shameless hypocrite!

June 26, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. GI Joe

Notice how every republican touts the "Christian" word all the time? I guess there are no Christian democrats to hear them talk.

June 26, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. DawnL,CA

"Surviving today" hopefully will be all you are going to get. Give it up-you are done.

June 26, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Jarhead

Not overly concerned with the governor–he did what he did–but the news media needs to leave his wife alone-she's got enough on her plate as it is. Leave the girl be.

June 26, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  11. Robert Colorado

Mark Sanford, cry us a river. It is a breath of fresh "Air" that your wife can not see "Russia" from her house. Yes, I said her house!

June 26, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  12. Lisa, MS

Who cares about him, what about those boys? He's selfish and doesn't care about anybody but himself. I wish he would go away, but this time for good. The boys need a real man in their lives. Maybe their grandfather could be the best role model for them at this time.

June 26, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. Debra

Resign you hypocrite! Your wife stood up and said her family was her first priority. We all know it was not yours!

June 26, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Leanne, KS

I always thought Sanford was acidic. He would say mean things that he knew were not true about President Barack Obama. He reminds me of a tiny paper cut, annoying as he#@#.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy about his situation. I feel bad for the boys, but their father should not be in a position of power. He makes decisions based on selfish reasons.

South Carolina was voted the most mannerable state, but in this case I hope they will "politely" show the governor the door.

June 26, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. Mike Moderate

Here we go...the lowlife is bringing Christianity into his miserable mess. If had followed the teachings ...he wouldn't be in this mess.

My "hunch" is that you resign you lying cheating two-faced scum!

The state deserves better. I truly doubt he is sorry for the pain he caused....only that he got caught.

Fox News will cover up this mess with Bill Clinton....watch!!

June 26, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. Eric of Reseda

"...as a wonderful Christian woman..." Folks, especially you rank-and-file Christians who want SO desperately to believe in what is and always has been a false ideal, if you haven't figured out yet that your leaders are mocking your good intentions every time they utter the word, "Christian", then I pity you. The Christian ideal more and more diverges from the teachings of Christ. Yet, all some preacher or politician has to do is utter the word "Christian", and your hearts all melt. Fools. Mrs. Sanford, behind the scenes, i assure you, is acting like any furious, disgusted, hurt, humiliated wife would act, and I assure it ain't all pretty, ain't all "Christian". Stop believing in false gods like Sanford, or any of the myriad Christian evangelicals and politicians who cheat on their wives, hire prostitutes, do drugs, steal from the taxpayer, etc.

June 26, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. Larry

Jenny will make a terrific model martyr for all Republican wives.

June 26, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. And We Care, Why?

He's trying to survive? What about those four innocent boys who have to go to school and get teased by their classmates? What about them?

I'm sick and tired of selfish politicians thinking only about themselves. They are sorry they got caught, and now they're apologizing all over the place, just to keep the status quo. I'm done.

Here's a clue, no one cares about Sanford. Let him hustle down to South America and be with his latina girlfriend, and apologize to her. I mean...who cares CNN, really?

June 26, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. WhoCares?

I wish the people who stop quoting the Bible and talking about God and "good Christian woman".

It just make my stomach roil.

June 26, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. Newt

peace keeping??????If she ever actually spoke anything of peace I would be shocked. She is a bad representative for the female species.

June 26, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. F-Dog

What is with these idiotic governors and their selfishness? They want to keep running things even though they are found to be lying fraudsters. Recently we had Blagojevich – now Sanford. It is unacceptable.

June 26, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. Doc

Funny...if his wife is such a magnanimous, gracious, and wonderful as a chrsitian woman...why was he sneaking to Argentina?
    He needs to quit. Follow Eliot Spitzer and go away.

June 26, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. Respect!!!

Sanford plz resign!!!!!

June 26, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  24. gracious as a wonderful Christian woman

does he listen to himself talk?

June 26, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  25. Summer

He is jerk and I am glad his wife did not stand by him. I hope the good folks in S.C. give him the boot. BTW, I am a republican.

June 26, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |