June 29th, 2009

Gibbs: No decision by Obama on a Washington-area church

The Obamas attended Easter services at a church near the White House but have not settled on a new church in the Washington area.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Will he or won't he? President Barack Obama still hasn't decided if he'll join a church in the Washington area, his spokesman said Monday.

Obama is concerned that his presence would disrupt regular Sunday services for other parishioners, spokesman Robert Gibbs said at his daily news briefing.

"I think he believes that might take away from the experience that others might get," Gibbs said.

Obama, who is Christian, has attended services at Evergreen Chapel at Camp David, Maryland, and enjoys the pastor there, Gibbs said. But he said Obama would not formally join the Camp David church.

Filed under: Obama family • President Obama
  1. Pee Wee

If the press could exercise some restraint and allow him to do so without the political paparazzi in tow I don't think it would affect the parishioners at all. I went to the same church in Florida as Rep. Dave Weldon, his membership there didn't affect my decision to join or go. True believers will be in services to worship God. I spoke to Dave on occasion on political matters, only because my profession is in the nuclear treaty monitoring community. But, more often than not we spoke of our common interest, guitars!

Have a great day!

June 29, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. rachel

He is not going to find one. He is just going to be a vistor to other people's churches so he doesn't have to answer for anything.

June 29, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. D. Tree

After the way his religious affiliation was aggressively questioned during the elections, he probably has to watch thousands of hours of past sermons first!

June 29, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Educate yourselves before you open your mouth and just let the words fall out

Who cares???!!!!!! Keep your religion out of my government and that goes for where, or IF, the POTUS chooses to attend. I'm SO sick of religous zealots mucking up my country!

June 29, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  5. Randolph Carter

You guys do realize that the notion that a big, invisible man in the sky created everything 6,000 years ago is totally absurd, right? Nyarlathotep, on the other hand, is real. I met him once. Once was enough. Have a nice day!

June 29, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Jimmy the Greek

Gibbs stated,

""I think he believes that might take away from the experience that others might get."

I would agree... yelling ALLAH AKBAR during a Christian service might not go over very well. Obama should just stop "faking" it and quit going to church all together.

June 29, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. malclave

I imagine it's hard finding a preacher who can measure up to Jeremiah Wright's hatred.

Sasha and Malia deserve to have the most corrupting, immoral upbringing possible, don't they?

June 29, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. eric

Remind me again which church Bush joined? Oh, that's right, he never did join one. Remind me also how many times he was asked about it.

June 29, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. Daniel -- Mesquite, Texas

Barack Obama might want to get to know the Rev. first :)

June 29, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. Dieter Zerressen, Denver, CO

I just wish one President or politician had the guts to say religion is all hocus pocus.

June 29, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. ib

Why should the hyprocrite even go to church. Every thing he says and does is against what the church teaches.

June 29, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  12. David

Atleast we dont have to hear anymore Rightwingers claim " Obama hasn't been to church since coming to office." I get sick of hearing about it.

June 29, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. Homer Jay

So, attending the church of one of 435 House members is the same as the President of the US? Seriously, run that through your brain again, and if you still don't see a difference, seek help.

The better question: why does it matter what faith, or none at all, he is? He's President of all Americans, not Pope. Get a grip.

June 29, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. frank

these guys don't go to church....they are fake, a joke, a shame!!!!!!!!!!!
    they pray at the bedside for all of us..........yeah right!
    they have time to pick a date location but not a church?
    FAKE,FAKE,FAKE

June 29, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Keep Your Religion Out of My Government

slp June 29th, 2009 4:58 pm ET

I have heard it all now. Can this president think anymore highly of himself? I guess he has been told so much that he is on equal footing with God that he now believes it. He believes that it might take away from the experience others will get. Whatever! All of you who voted for this man, this is your president. I didn't vote for him.

are you so mentally challenged that you are not able to see that having the President , secret service, etc would be disruptive to the other members of the congregation? What an idiot. "I" have heard it all now.

June 29, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  16. bozo obama

it looks like he will have to settle for a muslim church with a guest deacon Rev. Wrong.

June 29, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. deb

All you GOP nutcases just can't leave it alone, can you? You'll find anything printed about President Obama and twist it all around to suit your hateful, pathetic comments. Unbelieable!

June 29, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. Kana

The only ones that care are those that want to critisize his choice. Or those that have no life other than the BS in the tabloids.

It has nothing to do with overseeing our nation.

The rest of you elected officials, get back to work!!

June 29, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. LacrosseMom

Amazing some of the comments by the far-right. Pathetic.

How many of you belong to a church? And attend regularly? How many read the Bible?

Jesus said, "do not judge" until He was blue in the face, and here are the holier-than-thou GOPers, doing what they do.

June 29, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Zora La Rousse, Lugano CH

Jimmy the Greek June 29th, 2009 5:18 pm ET
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It is clear that the Muslim call to prayer frightens you very very much. What does it frighten you? Educate yourself, and you won't have to live your life in such fear.

June 29, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. makesUwonder

Jimmy the Greek June 29th, 2009 5:18 pm ET

Gibbs stated,

I would agree… yelling ALLAH AKBAR during a Christian service might not go over very well. Obama should just stop "faking" it and quit going to church all together.
    -----------------------------–
    GREAT COMMENT and I'm still rolling on the floor laughing.The "yelling ALLAH AKBAR" was the best. THANKS for the much needed laugh!

June 29, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. Obama Victim

what ady of the week do Muslims attend services?? Obozo may have scheduling issues...........on the othet hand...if there is a camera there..........

June 29, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. LacrosseMom

@ Zora La Rousse......... Great post! That's right, SO what if a president would be Muslim?!

The Three Great Abrahamic Religions: Judaism, Islam, Christianity.

We are all God's children. Peace.

June 29, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |