June 29th, 2009

Giuliani pondering gubernatorial bid

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that he's thinking about running for governor of New York next year.

(CNN) - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that he's thinking about running for governor of New York next year, but that's as far as he's going right now.

Asked by CNN's John Roberts on American Morning if he's seriously considering a gubernatorial bid, Giuliani said "I'm thinking about it but I don't know if I'm at the point of seriously considering it. It's a little too early."

Giuliani, who spent much of 2007 and the first month of 2008 running for the Republican presidential nomination, is often mentioned as a possible contender to take on incumbent Democratic Gov. David Paterson in next year's contest.

Recent polls of New York State voters indicate that if the election where held today, Giuliani would beat the unpopular Paterson. But surveys also suggest if New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo were the Democratic nominee, Cuomo would beat Giuliani in a hypothetical general election match up.

Last Wednesday Giuliani fueled speculation that he is considering a run for governor with a high-profile op-ed in the New York Times. Giuliani denied the op-ed - in which he proposes a series of measures to fix the state's gridlocked government - was meant to be a signal he is actively interested in running for governor in 2010.

"I know how to send signals, if I wanted to I would do it." Giuliani said. "I am not leaning [in either direction]."

In the op-ed, which Giuliani says is "not a partisan criticism," the former Republican presidential candidate calls for a statewide constitutional convention to institute a series of reforms, including changes in the budgeting process, term-limits for law makers, and campaign finance reform.

– CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: David Paterson • Popular Posts • Rudy Giuliani
  1. d1120

Run, Rudy, Run.......and stay out of national politics.

June 29, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. TEH

Oh c'mon.. seriously?? This guy still thinks he can run after his scam with the Florida-only campaign despite millions in funding? Seriously? Will he be campaining in RI only? Ando how many times will he bring in 9/11 in every speach? The GOP has no one better to play than this? Oh brother...

June 29, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Verbalpaintball

Giuliani has proven himself in the last few years to be a spiteful, nasty human being. This last election cycle displayed his true colors, especially the demeaning "snicker" at the expense of community organizers.

Lets be done with Giuliani. For a moment (quite a long time ago) he was a competent mayor for NY. Once he was there too long his true nature emerged and it wasn't pretty.

June 29, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Peter E

For YEARS polls also showed Giuliani beating all fellow republicans in the primaries for president. Guess how that turned out!

June 29, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Bleeding Heart

Giuliani–Your nine-eleven response was great, but what have you done for NYS lately?

June 29, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. ThinkAboutIt

Guiliani did great on 9/11, but his performance during the presidential campaign really left me scratching my head. I think he's another Republican who believes he has to turn himself into a policy pretzel to appease the religious right that currently runs the GOP.

New York needs real leadership, not some blow-in-the-wind mouthpiece who'll say and do anything to get elected.

June 29, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Your daddy

NY needs a governor with vision!

(couldn't resist!)

June 29, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. tom

He's a transdemorepub. He likes gays and abortion and gun control,has no family values, sounds like a liberal. He kissed up to every conservative he could find to get the Republican nomination. Some people might call him the ultimate politician. I just think he's a liar

June 29, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Republicans are the American Taliban

I remember Mr. Giuliani at the Republican convention mocking President Obama because he had begun his political career as a community organizer. According to Mr. Giuliani these people are worthless. Why is what he thinks or considers news? Why don't we wait till he decides, then report it so we can all laugh. Hey CNN anyone elses thoughts out there that you can report as news?

June 29, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Steve, NJ

Rudy Giuliani would make a great govenor for the state of NY. Much better then Paterson.

June 29, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Henry, WV

Mark Sanford said that resigning would be the easiest thing to do and so he's not going to do it.

Well, I hope the citizens of South Carolina, helps him resign. He is a waste of the taxpayer's money and time.

Any lowlife who uses taxpayer dollars to meet his mistress in ARGENTI NA, needs to get a clue. If South Carolinians keep him on, they will be laughing stocks too. They'll have to join the Blago/Burris Clueless Club of whacko state politics.

June 29, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Chris

I'll give 9 to 11 odds that he'll run. ;)

June 29, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Kathleen

If he can do for the NYS senate, what he did for Times Square, then I am all for it. Pulease, someone, come get a handle on Albany!!

June 29, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. Shari, NY

Giuliani's private life is just as morbidly colorful as Sanford's. I vividly remember his ex-wife, Donna Hanover, crying during a TV interview about his infidelity which he flaunted. He too had some issues with the children. Anyway, that's in the past and he now seems to be happy with his new life.

Despite his arrogance as NYC's mayor there are some things that you have to give him credit for, e.g. crime reduction, affordable subway fares and elimination of clothing tax (for items costing less than $110) which to this day remains in tact.

June 29, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. Rick McKinney, Texas

You can't run for Presidency ...

you are too liberal!!!

We don't want another moderate liberal out there screwing us all.. Bush was very much fine.. he might have made one mistake but that is not true GOP

June 29, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. blue stater

he needs to run against chuckie.

June 29, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Bill, Bloominton IL

He should run for president. Obama is showing all style no substance does work.

June 29, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. andrewstl

i hope he seeks some speech therapy before he makes a bid.

June 29, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. ron

The man's a loser and couldn't win if he were running for dog catcher

June 29, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. Dennis

I think Rudy would be very popular in upstate New York.

June 29, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. Mississippi Mike

Giuliani would be a great governer. He'll absolutely be better than Paterson.

June 29, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  22. Bill/CA

I'd support Rudy for governor, and I'm a Democrat. I supported Spitzer, and think Rudy is in the same mold, a no-nonsense guy with a mess of a personal life. In the end, the quality of a man's personal life is fairly irrelevant to his ability to lead in government. I think Rudy is qualified for governor, and would probably make a good one, but I wouldn't vote him for any higher office than that.

June 29, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. Ahhh I needed that.

After all the depressing news over the weekend- I needed a good laugh. Thanks CNN.

June 29, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. diogenes

He needs real experience.
    Still needs to figure out how to run a campaign.
    (Humble yourself and ask Mr. Obama mayor!)

June 29, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. P. Y.

I love NY and I think they deserve better than this bozo. I recently read where he is now dumping this wife. What a jerk!

June 29, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |