June 29th, 2009

Giuliani pondering gubernatorial bid

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that he's thinking about running for governor of New York next year.

(CNN) - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that he's thinking about running for governor of New York next year, but that's as far as he's going right now.

Asked by CNN's John Roberts on American Morning if he's seriously considering a gubernatorial bid, Giuliani said "I'm thinking about it but I don't know if I'm at the point of seriously considering it. It's a little too early."

Giuliani, who spent much of 2007 and the first month of 2008 running for the Republican presidential nomination, is often mentioned as a possible contender to take on incumbent Democratic Gov. David Paterson in next year's contest.

Recent polls of New York State voters indicate that if the election where held today, Giuliani would beat the unpopular Paterson. But surveys also suggest if New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo were the Democratic nominee, Cuomo would beat Giuliani in a hypothetical general election match up.

Last Wednesday Giuliani fueled speculation that he is considering a run for governor with a high-profile op-ed in the New York Times. Giuliani denied the op-ed - in which he proposes a series of measures to fix the state's gridlocked government - was meant to be a signal he is actively interested in running for governor in 2010.

"I know how to send signals, if I wanted to I would do it." Giuliani said. "I am not leaning [in either direction]."

In the op-ed, which Giuliani says is "not a partisan criticism," the former Republican presidential candidate calls for a statewide constitutional convention to institute a series of reforms, including changes in the budgeting process, term-limits for law makers, and campaign finance reform.

– CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: David Paterson • Popular Posts • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Laughing

I hope he does run – it would ensure victory for whatever Dem runs against him. Another fine move by the GOP if they allow him to run.
    If the GOP wants a shot – put Rudy back in the closet.

June 29, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. Give the people what they want

Giuliani, running for governor ? NO
    Giuliani running for Miss Drag Queen of New York? Yes, Not a site to see, but he would definitely be in the running!! lol

June 29, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. jfs Memhis, Tn

Lets hope that he keeps pondering until after the election. Just another hardcore politician that went from being a democrat to a republican for his own objectives.............he has no more concern about the average voter than he has for a homeless person.

June 29, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. JonDie

Why not? Giuliani's an adulterer who actually forced his wife to either live in their home with his lower or abandon her home. He'll make an excellent "family values" Republican candidate.

June 29, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. Lucullus

God help us, that's all we need. Rudy's complete disregard for the Bill of Rights and the Constitution almost ruined NYC. Now he want's to destroy the rest of the state?

June 29, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Matt

Rudy will ensure more republican leadership in this country, something with which I totally agree.

June 29, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. chutchin

Hey Bill in Bloomington, IL:

He has already "run" for President and made an utter fool of himself. Don't remember that?

June 29, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. slowgun

Steve, NJ June 29th, 2009 3:23 pm ET

Rudy Giuliani would make a great govenor for the state of NY. Much better then Paterson.

-----------------------------

I'm not sure what Patterson has done wrong. To my knowledg he is the only one I know of who called a conference and said...the state has no money...we are all going to have to suffer...adjust your budgets accordingly...so by saying this, everyone hates him, why because everybody talks about cutting spending until it's their peice of the pie that is being taken away. Keep pissing people off Gov Paterson...that way I know you are truely cutting spending.

June 29, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. Boytjie

Maybe he will decide to just campaign in Buffalo...

June 29, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. Island girl

Like another poster, I had a bit of respect for Rudy who despite his cancer, put 100% into the 9/11 scenario forgetting the toxicity and stress. However, during the presidential campaign he really "socked it" to Obama (more than McCain did) and I found his mannerism rather distasteful.

June 29, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. Tim

Most new Yorkers remember that Rudy Giuliani was all washed up as of September 10, 2001. Rudy Giuliani would have been completely lost without 9/11.

I forget, what exactly did Rudy Giuliani do after 9/11 ... oh yeah, that's right, nothing except stand in front of an incompetent governor at the microphone.

Here's hoping Rudy Giuliani runs for Governor and gets roundly beat.

June 29, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. Kevin

I'm old enough to remember what New York City was like in the 70's into the 80's, and it wasn't pretty. Movies like Taxi Driver and Midnight Cowboy got it pretty correct, the way it was. Guiliani changed all that. New York City is now a city that is safe to walk the streets, fun, vibrant, and alive again, and Guiliani was the guy most responsible for the change. Any politician that can actually cause positive change, instead of just claim it or make it appear so, should be in office as much as possible.

June 29, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Jeff, Huntington Beach, CA

At least he has the experience... lying, cheating, slimey, grandstanding, self righteous adulterer.

Do as I say and not as I do... the new banner for the Republican Party.

June 29, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. Derrick

Okay, seriously?! It is time for the older timers to sit out and let someone give a try at being a politician. This is ridiculous!

June 29, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. rob

he'd be better as running for drag queen of NY. He was a bad mayor in NY- he only got his act together barely for 9/11 and that wasn't that good either . There's no way- everyone here remembers

June 29, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. Carl Benefield

America's Mayor will be a great governor of NY.

June 29, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Amazed

If it were possible to run in NYC again, he wouldn't even win that race

June 29, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. rob

funny how everyone not in NY thinks he would be good as Governor – good for nothing is more like it

June 29, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. Randolph Carter

Steve wrote:
    Why not? New Yorkers were dumb enough to elect Clinton governor, weren't they?

Um, no. Have a nice day!

June 29, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Peter E

I can see Canada from my house!

June 29, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. New Yorker

Go for it; practically anyone would be better than what we currently are dealing with. Not because of the handicap...well, unless you consider liberal a handicap. Now that's a possibility.

June 29, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Dina

I really hope he sits his ridiculous self down and retires from trying to be a prominent public figure. I'm embarassed for him.

June 29, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Frank, Las Vegas

I'm just really happy I don't live in NY, that way I don't even have a chance of Mr. a noun, a verb and 911becoming my governor.

June 29, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Lu

hahaha...

June 29, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. zippy

Rudi is a beter person than obamma' he shold have ben pres
    zippy