June 29th, 2009

Giuliani pondering gubernatorial bid

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that he's thinking about running for governor of New York next year.

(CNN) - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that he's thinking about running for governor of New York next year, but that's as far as he's going right now.

Asked by CNN's John Roberts on American Morning if he's seriously considering a gubernatorial bid, Giuliani said "I'm thinking about it but I don't know if I'm at the point of seriously considering it. It's a little too early."

Giuliani, who spent much of 2007 and the first month of 2008 running for the Republican presidential nomination, is often mentioned as a possible contender to take on incumbent Democratic Gov. David Paterson in next year's contest.

Recent polls of New York State voters indicate that if the election where held today, Giuliani would beat the unpopular Paterson. But surveys also suggest if New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo were the Democratic nominee, Cuomo would beat Giuliani in a hypothetical general election match up.

Last Wednesday Giuliani fueled speculation that he is considering a run for governor with a high-profile op-ed in the New York Times. Giuliani denied the op-ed - in which he proposes a series of measures to fix the state's gridlocked government - was meant to be a signal he is actively interested in running for governor in 2010.

"I know how to send signals, if I wanted to I would do it." Giuliani said. "I am not leaning [in either direction]."

In the op-ed, which Giuliani says is "not a partisan criticism," the former Republican presidential candidate calls for a statewide constitutional convention to institute a series of reforms, including changes in the budgeting process, term-limits for law makers, and campaign finance reform.

– CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: David Paterson • Popular Posts • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Kwesoe

From mayor to governor....UM, from the fryingpan into fire! A republican trademark...

June 29, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. jk

Great.. another adulterous gov. Wow, that's just what's needed now.

And Patterson is no better. SC... Just look at NY politicans... this is where you are headed if you don't hold that man accountable down there and force him to resign. Is this what you want? Think about it.

June 29, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. JayG

Cuomo didnt do anything for the taxpayers, He only said that about AIG for political expediance. Cuomo is the attorney general, the upholder of the law, as slimey as AIG was, they broke no laws. Cuomo should have butted out

June 29, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. WAKE UP AMERICA

HA! H! HA! HA! this is sooooooooooooo stupid on all levels. Rudy as Governor of NY? His side-kick was a criminal, many of his other staffers were corrupt beyond belief.

Oh please, I hope and pray this fool runs so he can get his ass kicked royally, maybe just maybe, he'll fade into the sunset forever!!!

One can only pray right?

June 29, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Adam

to lucy and all the rest of you who think that giuliani turn anything around in NYC – it's the economy that turns things around not a joker who is in the office at the time. and if you want to talk about how qualified this guy is -look into the off-site emergency command center. giuliani was told multiple times to move it to Brooklyn – yeah – that the guy you want in charge of NY city or state. Think again.

June 29, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. S. Palin

Hey, I'll take him on!
    yea...it will keep me in the spotlight, plus I could use the new clothes the GOP would buy me. I'll parade my kids around as campaign props and then complain about how the media won't leave my family allone.

Ouch...Todd just ran over my foot with his snow machine...Between you and me, it really is time for him to get a real job. I mean sooner or later we'll have to stop living off of the tax payers of Alaska.

Bye...wink...wink

June 29, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. Brian from OK

DREAR......... I feel sorry for the people of new york having to listen to Rudy bring up the ghosts of 9/11 all over again.

June 29, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Pee Wee

I think in his elected capacity, Rudy had a pretty good track record as mayor of New York. If running a failed campaign is grounds for disqualification, Bill Clinton should have joined the private sector back in '78.

Most folks carping on here with the noun/verb/9/11 mantra are just looking for an avenue to be spiteful.

June 29, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. gt

now the next gov. . form the state of new york is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rudy ... rudy....rudy.....

June 29, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. KEL

Mr moun,and vreb and 9-1-1 is off and running there was a old song everyone waiting for their big day to come.

June 29, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Fla.

Guiliani ran one of the worst campaigns in history, politicizing a national tragedy for his personal agenda. Rudy rightfully lost after Americans saw through his nonsense.

Guiliani should never hold public office again after misusing public funds towards his indiscretions & other shady affiliations, but that is for the people of NY to confirm by their votes.

June 29, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  12. Eileen

Well that will be alot better than Patterson. Go Rudy.

June 29, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. Dan

Rudolf (9/11) Giuliani is running for (9/11) governor. After his (9/11) great campaign in (9/11) the primaries, I'm sure (9/11) he won't go very (9/11) far. New Yorkers are (9/11) tired of this one trick (9/11) pony, who basically invokes 9/11 as much as possible. If Cuomo runs against him, he will get destroyed.

June 29, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. Sean

Giuliani earned a lot of respect from me in the aftermath of 9/11, and then he destroyed every ounce of that respect and then some with his behavior at things like the Republican presidential convention last year. I hope he never finds himself in another position of authority.

June 29, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  15. JA/TN

PLEASE, is that all we got

June 29, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. SlowGun

@Tom Paine June 29th, 2009 4:20 pm ET

Run, Rudy, Run. NY has been run by idiot Dems long enough.

----------------------------

It just amazes me how little people actually know.
    New york is in the shape it is in after 12 years of Republican Governor George Pataki, and 40 years of republican control over the legislature.
    Please take some time to learn what you are posting about.

June 29, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Dennis

Why didn't Bush (I'm sorry, I meant Cheney) give him a respectable post in their administration?

June 29, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Jack in Florida

Your time is up........retire gracefully with Judith, unless she is spending you out of house and home and you have to work!?!?!?!

June 29, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. MrManhattan

Rudy can be Governor if New York City can secede.

8 years of that jerk was enough for us!

June 29, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. changing my screen name to see if it helps getting my comments posted

@ JayG,

Wait, New York wasn't a tourist attraction until Rudy was Mayor? So no one traveled from around the world to see landmarks such as the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, or the Empire State Building or to experience the rich culture of the city before he was mayor?

I did not know that.

June 29, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Al-NY,NY

Here's some advice Ghouliani....forget it. It ain't gonna happen. Your blatant opportunistic publicity grabbing after 9/11 exposed you for the fake you really are

June 29, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. John Black Hills/SD

Just because Giuliani was mayor when crazy Arabs attacked the city doesn't automatically make him the hero media built him up as. Anyone who would've been mayor had the go ahead to forget budgets, and do what ever it took to bring order and calm to the residents. Don't expect something special, ask the people who he stepped on if he is the super mayor media sold him as. He's really a creepy little man, a Bush with a good Italian name.

June 29, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. j

god, i hope not. I will not vote for this guy. My vote would go for Cuomo.

June 29, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Mike

He couldn't run NY city how is he going to run NY state

June 29, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Tracy

Say it ain't so Joe – plz.

June 29, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |