June 29th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Sanford affair is 'private matter'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Meghan McCain wrote Monday that South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's revelation that he had an extramarital affair "isn't relevant to his role as a public official" and called on her fellow Republicans to forgive him.

McCain, the daughter of Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said that she is "mad" about the "hypocrisy of it all," and doesn't condone Sanford's actions, but added that the public needs to "stop requiring that our politicians live at such a high level of moral superiority."

"Above all, the Sanford scandal just makes me sad for my party," she wrote on the Daily Beast Web site. "The GOP is struggling right now to find anyone who looks to be our next leader. Those who have been anointed so far have ended up falling completely short. Going forward, I suggest that the party concentrate less on what goes on in the bedroom and more on what is going on in policy."

Filed under: Mark Sanford • Meghan McCain
  1. Brian

I like Megan McCain. But I feel I should point out the absence of logic in her story. If Sanfords affair truly is a private matter, is it really our place to forgive him?

June 29, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. WhoCares?

How about him being out of the frickin' country without letting anyone know and that some trips have been paid for with taxpayer money?

Is that "relevent to his role as a public official" Einstein?

June 29, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  3. George

Hey Meghan, where were your people when Bill Clinton was in the news? I agree with you, yes its a private matter, but when will America say that. Especially the news media. If this were a democratic gov, Fox News would have it on 24-7. Unfair and unbalanced as I say.

June 29, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. TJ in Tally

I agree that kind of thing is a private matter. On the other hand, his disappearance, seemingly without a trace, is a public matter. For that the Governor must answer to his constituents and they must decide whether they trust his judgement.

I do not hold politicians to higher standads – they are only human. However, if someone is going to preach to me about "family values", he should make sure his own house is in order first. Glass houses and stones come to mind.

June 29, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Roy Arellano (San Antonio)

Very well said. Our own founding fathers would not pass the measures imposed on todays politicians. Yes, what some of them do is wrong, I do not agree, however they are human. What matters is policy and representation of the People.

June 29, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. Daisy

Honey...your party tries to legislate morality and tell others how to live. Therefore, it does indeed directly relate to his job. Repubs made morality and social issues their platform. To say it doesn't matter now would be to abandon a platform when it doesn't suit you.

June 29, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. Jeff, TX

I wonder about her reaction to WJC and ML.....(I don't completely disagree with her here, but mesmells some political expediency...)

June 29, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. No more GOP!

Its not a Private Matter when you are being unfaithful to your wife on our dime!

June 29, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |