June 29th, 2009

Obama announces new energy efficiency measures

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama on Monday announced new steps to reduce America's energy use, including tougher standards for light bulbs and expedited investment in more energy efficient homes and businesses.

"We can remain the world's leading importer of oil, or we can become the world's leading exporter of clean energy," Obama said at a brief White House appearance with Energy Secretary Steven Chu.

His announcement came after Friday's approval by the House of a sweeping climate change bill that Obama hailed as landmark legislation to strengthen the economy and battle global warming.

Filed under: Energy • Obama administration • President Obama
  1. bert

This is another example of a great idea from this forward thinking President. Yeah we pay for these changes in the begining but this idea nets return on so many levels. Energy and Health care is where is focus should be because these areas will yeild immediate and quantifible value. If you don't like his plans you are just a hater. You are afraid to share opportunity. Fear and Love cannot exist together. God is Love. Learn to share.
    One thing I would of like to see President Obama do is let GM falll right on their asses. They had their chances. It is time for the young and the hungry to get some. But I am sure he knows better than I do on the matter of GM. God bless the President and the U.S.A.

June 29, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Henry Miller

Obama doesn't care in the slightest how much his super light bulbs or "energy efficient" homes will cost American citizens.

June 29, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. Shibumi

Exactly (or even approximately) how does "tougher standards for light bulbs" strengthen the economy?
    In these dire times, you would think Bo Bo might have more important issues in his top ten list than light bulbs.
    I can't believe I voted for this empty-suited clown. Just proves the power of marketing.

June 29, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Some republican guy

They're going to take away my SUV and make me drive a Yugo!! Oh, the humanity. Have a nice day!

June 29, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. Dave

Listened to President Obama's comments on Fox News this afternoon during lunch and he sounded great and what he said made a whole lot of sense and being a conservative Republican, I would be behind him 100%.

Too bad what he said and what will come out of Congress are two completely separate proposals. I would agree with a "cap & trade" system and would even agree with an increased tax on gas of maybe even $2.00 per gallon, ONLY IF all that money went to developing renewable energy sources and replacing our energy grid. Too bad that is NOT what is coming out of Congress, what is coming out of Congress is simply a new tax to pay for Universal Health Care

June 29, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. Thank you Mr. President

I am so glad we have somebody in office that is actually addressing these issues.....It is beyond time in this country to clean up the environmental disasters, I'm sick of turning the television on and being told the airs to dangerous to work outside..we need alternatives. This is a step in the right direction, but don't lose focus, we need health care that all American's can afford!

The naysayers that scream this will cost to much money...most independent reports place it at possibly costing 175 a year when it goes into full effect, not the 4500 the GOP are claiming (they are oil lobbyists protecting their profits as usual).

It's time we develop alternatives to oil and gas, patent the technology and become the worlds leading producer, he's making steps in the right direction...that is what we need to rebuild America, independence from the middle east!

June 29, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. bert

Some of you people posting are so stupid. Yes we can export clean energy; first we have to get in front of the tech. Whatever works, we need to be the ones trying to figure this stuff out and then we will be the leading exporters of clean energy. We need all hands on deck. 60% of African Americans are not graduating from high school. Help out the small people who are trying to help and the efforts from the top and the bottom will meet somewhere in the middle and the end result will be a better America.

June 29, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Rose

The Obama adm. is meddling in our private lives way too much. I live in the Phoenix, Az area and if he thinks for one minute I am going to turn my thermostat up in the summer months, he has another thought coming. No one is going to tell me how to live and how to control things in my own house.

June 29, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Randolph Carter

Actually, those fancy schmancy lightbulbs contain lots of mercury. Nice try, though. Have a nice day!

June 29, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |