June 30th, 2009

Boehner to go head-to-head with Tiger Woods

Woods will tee-off with GOP leader John Boehner Wednesday.
Woods will tee-off with GOP leader John Boehner Wednesday.

(CNN) - House Republican Leader John Boehner, a longtime golfer, will tee off with Tiger Woods and Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo at tomorrow's Pro-Am charity golf tournament at the A T&T National.

The Earl Woods Memorial Pro-Am tournament at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Maryland benefits the Tiger Woods Foundation and is named after Tiger Wood’s late father. Thomas Dundon, the President and CEO of Drive Financial and Santander Consumer USA will be the fourth player, according to Boehner’s spokesman.

Boehner's handicap is seven and a half.

"He's always been a big fan and a big player," Boehner's communications Director Kevin Smith told CNN, but noted that he's had some back problems over the last year. Boehner occasionally combines golfing and fundraising during Congressional breaks, but tomorrow's outing will support local DC youth organizations.

But the GOP leader isn't the only member of Congress spending some time on the course during the Congressional recess. House Democratic Whip Jim Clyburn played in an earlier Pro Am tournament ahead of the AT&T National on Monday, according to his spokeswoman Kristie Greco.

Although Woods is scheduled to play with the House Republican leader, he's kept his political leanings close to the vest.

Woods visited Washington in March 2007 to announce the AT&T National would be played in the area and visited with bipartisan Congressional leaders including Boehner and Speaker Nancy Pelosi. But at a photo op with Speaker Pelosi, Boehner and some other Congressional golfers, Woods was careful to dodge a question about whether he had any plans to get involved in politics.

Late last year Woods hailed the election of President Obama, calling it "absolutely incredible."

"He represents America. He's multiracial. I was hoping it would happen in my lifetime," Woods told CNBC in November. "My father was hoping it would happen in his lifetime, but he didn't get to see it. I'm lucky enough to have seen a person of color in the White House."

Woods also met Obama in the Oval office last April when he was in town promoting the charity event.

Filed under: John Boehner • Tiger Woods
  1. Abby

Oh my, I can only imagine the venom that would have come from the right had this been our President doing this on Wednesday. Enjoy, Rep. Boe-ner…Abstractionism wears one out too. You need some R&R. Stay away from the bar :-)

June 30, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. rand

God I feel sorry for Tiger.

June 30, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  3. BP

I hope Tiger takes Boehner to school.

June 30, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Fear based leaders/crooks

"We're in the middle of a near depression"- Boehner when he passed TARP

I guess it's over and he can go golfing again. Shouldn't he be in his state explaining why he sent all our manufacturing jobs over to communist China? Shouldn't he be explaining why we aren't prosecuting people for torture? I suppose he's got to enhance his sun tan.

June 30, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Steph

I hope Boehner wears sunscreen. But seriously, can you imagine the comments from the right-wing nut-jobs if President Obama were playing golf with Tiger Woods. I hope they have a lovely time and raise lots of money for the Tiger Woods Foundation.

June 30, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. Republicans are the American Taliban

Will Boner wear teabags on his head while he plays, and insist that Tiger do the same, or else he will succeed from the game???

June 30, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. Jerry

This is great news for every one , did you see or read about the great speech Tiger gave at the BHO party in January ? Of course not because none of the liberal media reported on it, Tiger is a class guy.

June 30, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. liberal in maine

why isnt Boehner doing his job ?

June 30, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Nick the Photographer

I've just lost any shred of respect I once had for either Tiger or Tony.

Good Luck Boys!

RIP GOP!

June 30, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. Jack

I bet that boner will cry everytime he misses a put!

June 30, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. joe smith

if this guy has a 7 handicap, it's obvious he is not giving his constituents their moneys' worth..maybe Tiger will ask him why the Freddie Mac report is tucked away in the National archives..great to see the young people benefiting from this prestigious event..

June 30, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Independent in the Land of Lakes

Nice...you mention venom and spew it all in the same breath!
    You two are obvious representations of the "party of hope!"

It's a charity event for crying out loud and if you bothered to read the whole thing, you would see that Clyburn played in a similar event...good on both parties for supporting a worthy cause.
    At least you're consistent...hypocritical to the end.

June 30, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. B.H.

If only we could put Boehner on the golf course permanently !!

June 30, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Dan

I was just thinking Congressman Boehner could use some sun.

June 30, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. Bill

Maybe Rep. Boehner will like the golf course so well he will not come back to Washington and give the country a break!

June 30, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. 60's survivor

some of these comments are a riot!!

June 30, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. Libssuk

Keep pretending Tiger is put out by this. He is a conservative. I'm sure the only reason BOBO is not playing is because he is off for "date night" in NY or Paris on Tiger's and my dime.

June 30, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. Kansan

Another fine example of the hypocritical GOP. If Obama joined Tiger in golf they would be all over it with special Fox News coverage of Obama the playboy. Of course it's ok if the GOP plays...it's not like any of them are contributing to helping out the country anyway. The "Party of NO" can go ahead and golf...maybe we'll get something accomplished while they're gone without the whining.

June 30, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. B

I'm sure It will be great to be with Golfer Bohner as long as it's Green. Not Red or Blue!

June 30, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  20. I laugh at comrade Limbaugh daily

I hope Madoff saves a plate for Boehner.

June 30, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I'm sure Bonehead Boehner won't bring any sunscreen.

June 30, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. Zero.

CNN's Biased News. The Moment! America lost it's way. Lost any trust europe had in the USA...

June 30, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |