June 30th, 2009

Breaking: Coleman concedes

(CNN) - Former Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman Tuesday officially conceded defeat in his 2008 reelection bid, hours after the state's high court paved the way for Democrat Al Franken's victory.

"I just had a conversation with Al Franken congratulating him on his victory," Coleman said in a press conference with reporters. "I told him it’s the best job he'll ever have representing Minnesota in the United States Senate.

"The Supreme Court has spoken, I will respect its decision, and abide by its results," Coleman also said.

Filed under: Al Franken • Norm Coleman
  1. Gene

It's about time! Only took him 8 months and multiple court decisions to finally concede.. how gentlemanly of him :)

June 30, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. Minnesotan

@Bill in denver June 30th, 2009 5:20 pm ET
    Clinton didn't resign why should the governor/ this is between the governor his wife and the sate everyon should stay out of it
    ------------------------------
    I agree except for the point that Mr Sanford lead one of the many GOP crusades to impeach Clinton over what he was doing in his private life in order to bring integrity back to the White House. So, he needs to resign or else he is exactly like all those other GOP hypocrits out there. All those do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do Republicans need to just shut their mouths and stop worrying about what happens in people's private lives and bedrooms.

June 30, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Dan

HoooooRaaaaaaay..........

FIREWORKS !! CELEBRATIONS !!!!! :P

June 30, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. Vern

It's about darn time he give it up!!!!! GOODBYE!

June 30, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. David

Hey
    changing my screen name to see if it helps getting my comments posted,

Of course "Some republican guy" isn't a Republican. He's poking fun at the Republicans who still demand to see Obama's birth certificate. If you're a Republican, he's mocking you (or at least the birth certificate fringe in your party). As you pointed out, the whole birth certificate thing is absurdly ignorant and lacking common sense. In other words, it was a joke. See also: sarcasm.

Congratulations Senator Franken.