June 30th, 2009

Palin confident she can outrun Obama

Palin says she has the endurance to beat President Obama in a road race.
Palin says she has the endurance to beat President Obama in a road race.

(CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is confident Barack Obama can be beaten - in a long distance run.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate told Runner's World Magazine if it came down to a foot race between the two famous politicians, she'd likely come out on top.

"I betcha I'd have more endurance," Palin said in an interview published on the magazine's Web site Tuesday. "My one claim to fame in my own little internal running circle is a sub-four marathon. It wasn't necessarily a good running time, but it proves I have the endurance within me to at least gut it out and that is something.

"If you ever talk to my old coaches they'd tell you, too," she continued. "What I lacked in physical strength or skill I made up for in determination and endurance. So if [it] were a long race that required a lot of endurance I'd win."

The avid runner also revealed an accident she had only days before the vice presidential debate last fall, when she fell on a trail while jogging at Sen. John McCain's Arizona ranch.

"I was so stinkin' embarrassed that a golf cart full of Secret Service guys had to pull up beside me," she said of the fall. "My hands just got torn up and I was dripping blood. In the debate you could see a big fat ugly Band-Aid on my right hand."

Declaring "sweat is my sanity," Palin also said some of her worst days on the campaign trail were those when McCain staffers did not schedule time for her to run.

"I feel so crappy if I go more than a few days without running. I have to run," she said. "A great frustration I had during the campaign was when the McCain staff wouldn't carve out time for me to go for a run. The days never went as well if I couldn't get out there and sweat."

And the bands that keep her going on the long runs? Palin said she kicks off with "old Van Halen and AC/DC" before going into country and ending with "mellow Amy Grant songs."

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Sandra

This says volumes about her, in her own words, with just a little tweaking:

"What I lacked in political strength or skill I made up for in determination and endurance."

July 1, 2009 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  2. annetally

she's delusional, I almost feel sorry for her

July 1, 2009 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  3. Lucretia Kowalczyk Martinez

Sara Palin lives in her own little world. To even implicate that she could defeat Barak Obama is pure fiction and ego.

July 1, 2009 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  4. Carolyn Cloae

When will Sarah Palin get back to the business of governing Alaska?
    The election is over and apparently the majority of America has spoken...so let President Obama get on his job. If Sarah Palin should opt to make a presidental run in the future I really think the public will be so tired of the ongoing issues there is a real possibility she would not be elected because of over exposure.

July 1, 2009 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  5. John

she would beat him with what a baseball bat or a club
    Sarah get a grip you are not that great at much other than looking good and speaking but the words matter too. not just sounding kind nice etc. Get some new blood in your party but not yours get lost sarah keep looking at russia and stay in ak.

July 1, 2009 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  6. dan

Did she just say her coaches would confirm that she had no skill? Yeah that's what we need. A President that has no clue what she is doing and the endurance to keep doing it....Didn't we just get rid of that?

July 1, 2009 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  7. Lstrm

What a misleading title.

July 1, 2009 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  8. James A.

I know of at least one person who will not be voting for Palin - me.

July 1, 2009 01:48 am at 1:48 am |