June 30th, 2009

Palin confident she can outrun Obama

Palin says she has the endurance to beat President Obama in a road race.
Palin says she has the endurance to beat President Obama in a road race.

(CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is confident Barack Obama can be beaten - in a long distance run.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate told Runner's World Magazine if it came down to a foot race between the two famous politicians, she'd likely come out on top.

"I betcha I'd have more endurance," Palin said in an interview published on the magazine's Web site Tuesday. "My one claim to fame in my own little internal running circle is a sub-four marathon. It wasn't necessarily a good running time, but it proves I have the endurance within me to at least gut it out and that is something.

"If you ever talk to my old coaches they'd tell you, too," she continued. "What I lacked in physical strength or skill I made up for in determination and endurance. So if [it] were a long race that required a lot of endurance I'd win."

The avid runner also revealed an accident she had only days before the vice presidential debate last fall, when she fell on a trail while jogging at Sen. John McCain's Arizona ranch.

"I was so stinkin' embarrassed that a golf cart full of Secret Service guys had to pull up beside me," she said of the fall. "My hands just got torn up and I was dripping blood. In the debate you could see a big fat ugly Band-Aid on my right hand."

Declaring "sweat is my sanity," Palin also said some of her worst days on the campaign trail were those when McCain staffers did not schedule time for her to run.

"I feel so crappy if I go more than a few days without running. I have to run," she said. "A great frustration I had during the campaign was when the McCain staff wouldn't carve out time for me to go for a run. The days never went as well if I couldn't get out there and sweat."

And the bands that keep her going on the long runs? Palin said she kicks off with "old Van Halen and AC/DC" before going into country and ending with "mellow Amy Grant songs."

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Bob

Yes, Sarah, please please please run. Does she forget how hard and drawn out the 2008 Democratic Primaries were? This past election the GOP attacked Obama on his lack of experience vs Sarah's experience and knowledge of running a State government. Even then "her knowledge" became the butt of jokes and skits that in come cases surpassed thos about W.

This time around she can add her trip to Kosovo to her foreign knowledge expertise but how will that compare to four years as President of the United States dealing with a list of foreign and and domestic challenges.

Yes, Sarah please run and even break a sweat as short of Obama really screwing up the Obama landslide in the last election will seem like nothing compared to the results if you are the GOP candidate in 2012.

July 1, 2009 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  2. Lorraine

There's no way Palin could beat Obama. She's not as smart, as likeable, as diplomatic, as friendly. There's just no way.

July 1, 2009 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  3. Bob H.

Good Grief!
    Where, oh, where is the REAL GOP??
    This crowd is whacked out; it's filled with Limbaugh-style hate and mis-information. Why can't the mature, sharp thinking GOP-ers come to the fore and save this Grand Old Party? We, who have ever voted a Republican ticket do NOT, repeat do NOT need Palin as the standard barer! She's weak, un-informed, and really, a joke! Please, someone find a mature, non-hate spewing Republican to lead the party. So much appeal to the mindlessness that emanates from the Rush-crowd is causing this party to rot from within! Please, someone, come and save the GRAND Old Party!

Soon!

rsh

July 1, 2009 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  4. Dave R

Gotta love the Republicans. They've completely lost their focus, given everything up to the Democrats, the country is falling apart around them, and all they can think is to boast about their athletic prowess.

July 1, 2009 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  5. John

I can't even begin to imagine the smoking crater that will be left when she leaves office should she ever become president. It's scary to even consider. I can't imagine she has one thought in her head that wasn't put their by someone else.
    She seems to me like the type of person who would lose her shirt in one of those pyramid schemes selling vacations or jewelry. But not before harassing all her friends and family to join up.

July 1, 2009 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  6. maripil

Poor Sarah!! She truly is in La La Land!! She blabbers and that is all there is to it in that little head above her shoulders. Perhaps her only asset is her physical appearance and nothing else!!

July 1, 2009 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  7. The Dude

Go away already!

July 1, 2009 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  8. Sally

Palin has grandiose ideas about herself. It's downright embarrassing!

July 1, 2009 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  9. WHO CARES

Cant this woman just go away ?

July 1, 2009 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  10. Donkey Party

I hope the "coaches" she's referring to are speach therapists. She's already dangerous, just think if she had a brain. Women should be disgusted by the fact that Sarah Palin is singlehandedly setting back the women's movement by decades. No rational individual, male or female, should ever consider voting for this illiterate, emotional train-wreck. Even McCain has zero faith in her.

July 1, 2009 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  11. ss

does she run to russia and back?

July 1, 2009 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  12. maria

I'm sorry.

Is there a reason people are still writing news reports about her? Is it because there is nothing else to write about. Well there is.

July 1, 2009 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  13. nadeem

Sub 4 hour marathon? She is proud of that? jeez...she is totally out of touch.

July 1, 2009 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  14. KathyC in MInnesota

"I can see Russia from my house! ThereforeI I have Foreign Policy credentials!"

Like that is going to convince the nation that Sarah Palin can whip President Barack Obama??? Who does she think she is kidding???

President Obama can wipe the countertop with ease with the likes of Sarah Palin without breaking a sweat and witha smile on his face. Who does she think she is kidding???????

July 1, 2009 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  15. John

This isn't a celebrity contest... I don't want a beauty pageant for president. A wink and a smile isn't going to get the Iranian government to talk with us... Oh God, protect me from your followers...

July 1, 2009 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  16. Out yonder

Hoho ho - hee hee hee -ha ha ha!

I think Americans are past the idea of having a folksy, "I-ain't-concerned-with-details" type of Commander in Chief now. We've seen the worldwide damage it could have.

July 1, 2009 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  17. bozo the obama

your chances will be good if you don't take McCain as your V.P.

July 1, 2009 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  18. Gregory Cera

Does Palin even realize that it would have been to her benefit to turn the fact that she runs into a bit more of a transitional metaphor by demonstrating she's capable of formulating coherent thoughts about actual national concerns...and can handle the pressure...of thinking...

July 1, 2009 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  19. Out yonder

And by the way Palin, keep running. The farther the better.

July 1, 2009 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  20. abraxis

How about running that long distance race back to Alaska?

July 1, 2009 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  21. NWisconsinboy

You go run, Sarah! Run, Sarah, Run! Run far, far away from any future chance of ever being in political office ever, ever again.

July 1, 2009 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  22. Ricky

Who cares? Leave this incoherent train wreck alone so she can go away.

July 1, 2009 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  23. Fenarkleman

Sarah: There's a door somewhere. Why not run through that and not stop?

You have been mercifully spared the ravages of intelligence. Your 15 minutes were up long ago.

Start running. Don't stop. Don't come back. Oh, yah! You betcha.

July 1, 2009 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  24. jessboldt

its nice that she thinks she can win a foot race. she knows she has no chance in a political race.

July 1, 2009 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  25. KJ

Someone should politely remind Sarah that Obama went to Harvard and she forgot that Africa was a continent.... ooops.

July 1, 2009 01:39 am at 1:39 am |