July 1st, 2009

Poll: New Jersey gubernatorial race tightens up

A new CNN poll shows New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine facing a tougher battle with Chris Christie.

(CNN) – A new poll of New Jersey voters suggests this year's gubernatorial battle between incumbent Democrat Jon Corzine and Republican challenger Chris Christie may be tightening up a bit.

Just one in five of those questioned in the poll say New Jersey's on the right track, and only one in four say Corzine's doing good or excellent job as governor.

Christie, the former U.S. attorney for New Jersey, is trying to become the first Republican to win statewide office in New Jersey since then-governor Christie Todd Whitman won re-election in 1997.

"Even though it's early in the campaign, it is remarkable that a Republican is running ahead in New Jersey," said Peter Woolley, director of the poll.

Christie, considered a moderate Republican, led Corzine by 10 points in a Quinnipiac University survey released earlier this month.

National Republicans are gunning for victories in New Jersey and Virginia, the other state with a gubernatorial contest this year, as they try to rebound from their poor showing in last year's elections. In Virginia, the Democratic governor is term-limited and can't run for re-election.

The Fairleigh Dickinson University poll was conducted June 22-29, with 803 registered New Jersey voters questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Chris Christie • CNN Polls • Jon Corzine • New Jersey
  1. Nick

There's not a ton of difference between Corzine and Christie; it's just two big-government advocates from different parties. The GOP should have nominated Steve Lonegan.

July 1, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Willy Brown

Bye, bye tax man Corzine.

July 1, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  3. Joe in NJ

This campaign is going to be ugly and by the time it is over, both candidates will look worse than they already do. No one wants to vote for either one of them. I'm hoping for some sort of miracle and that a worthy Independent will enter the race.

July 1, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

What Christie plans is unrealistic to be honest; to either bully or convict everyone that has done even the smallest amount of corruption won't save the state nearly as much money as he thinks. Besides, the governor doesn't do any prosecutions.

Corzine has done okay in the state. He started to clean up the mistakes from Whitman and McGreevy (among others) when the recession hit. If it hadn't happened, then it would have been likely that there would be less of a problem for his re-election campaign.

July 1, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. tinger

At what point will the Dems decide to take ownership of the direction that our nation is heading? The Dems cannot continue to blame everything on the last eight years. How about some leadership and stop whinning.

July 1, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. TShea

I voted Republican once in my life - Whitman – and regretted it. But Corzine stinks, and Christie is no better. Notice not one proposal from Christie about what he'll do about property taxes. No matter who is elected, nothing will change. It will be crony politics, just different cronies. Every NJ politician is in it for themselves and nothing more. I'm 55 and have lived in this state all my life. Since i was a teenager I've been reading letters to the editor in the newspapers from people saying that property taxes in this state will force them to move once they retire. Believe me, it will not change unless we turn out the entire government, and that's from the local level up through the state level, and start over again. I've given up on seeing positive change in this state in my lifetime.

July 1, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. Eric

Not sure how Robin was able to get three comments into this thread, but at least Robin is well informed!

Just a side note for those outside of NJ making comments here... just a bite of the big picture... Jon Corzine introduced a TAX on GYM MEMBERSHIPS. This is the same party that wants to nationalize healthcare.

It seems to be the liberal way to do do NOTHING to promote a healthy way of life, but at the same time use taxpayer dollars to fund a healthcare program.

July 1, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. VB Lincoln Park NJ

So many of these comments are from those who have forgotten that the mild depression we are in now is the fault of the BUSH (worst ever) administration and its misshapen cronies.

July 1, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. panem et circenses

Some of you posters don't even bother to READ the article before spewing your party-line tripe.

"A Fairleigh Dickinson University survey released Wednesday indicates that Christie has a 6 point lead, 45 percent to 39 percent, over Corzine, with 15 percent undecided. Christie had a 9 point lead over Corzine in a Fairleigh Dickinson University poll in April."

The main point is that the Christie lead has DECREASED by 3 points.

July 1, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. Mike Cooper

It will be very interesting to see how the Republican Party will react if Chris Christie pulls this off. He is a solid moderate; exactly the kind of candidate that Limbaugh, Boehner, Steele, McConnell, Inc. would refer to as a RINO. His victory would give strength and legitimacy to Bush (Jeb that is), Powell, Christ, Snowe, Inc., in their push to make the Republican party more moderate and inclusive. Will the Party applaud the rare and welcome victory, or will they deplore the ideological "impurity" that Christie represents?

If I lived in NJ, I would definitely vote for Christie. Just to see what happens!

July 1, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  11. Ted

doesn't matter which party wins, being governor of NJ is difficult. Tis not the Garden State in reality with such picturesque places as Jersey City, Newark and Croxton. Lived in NJ for two years and will never live there again.

July 1, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. Archie Lee

Who cares, Obama will be our president until 2016, then Sen. Mark Warner (VA) will carry the Democratic Party into 2020.RIP in peace GOP it will take at least 10 years for yall busters to get back right.

July 1, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. Nate

For the doubters, the Governorship in NJ will be in Republican hands in 2010. Residents are fed up with high taxes, high deficits and incumbent Dem bums.

And by the way 'Lori reminds the GOP that Obama's ratings are still higher than 2 term idiot Bush's!!!'

Bush had higher ratings than Obama does at the same time in his Presidency, and I am not even a Bush supporter, get your facts straight.

July 1, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Educate yourselves before you open your mouth and just let the words fall out

@ Mitchell from MS July 1st, 2009 11:59 am ET who said:

Odd cnn that every other poll has the GOP winning… could you be trying to misreport a news story here???

What's even more odd, is that you obivously didn't read the article or you would see that it says that Christie is a Republican and has a six point lead in the poll. Could you be trying to "misreport" the report????

July 1, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. Tom Brown

The fact is, most New Jersey residents vote Democrat and will vote for Corzine even though he championed the most regressive and anti-poor taxes. The fact that Corzine is not down by 50, and will probably win, only proves that there is a reason why there are so many poor, uneducated New Jersey residents. If people in Newark, Camden, Patterson and Irvington want to know why they don't have better lives, just look at their votes for McGreevey and Corzine. The poor have been bought and paid for by Corzine. That's why they are poor and he is governor.

July 1, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. shane

Good bye republican party

July 1, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  17. bob in LA

9 of 10 poll quesitons are poorly worded, so they never really reflect the view of the participant

July 1, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Wait till Obama starts campaigning for Corzine

Its amazing that the GOP really believe that they can win the office of the governor in NY, NJ, IL and CA and also Senatorial office in IL, Connecticut among others. This is living in a world of illusion.

Now we hear that NJ race is tightening and Dodd is moving up in his race. Once Obama starts traveling like he promised to do with helping Dodd's re-election and to help with the governorship races if he chooses, the re-election will be a sliding scale for the GOP.

Its amazing that a party that lost NY-20 race and MN re-election race to a comedian thinks they are still a credible party lol. Just cant stop laughing.

YES WE CAN 2012

July 1, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Educate yourselves before you open your mouth and just let the words fall out

@ Proud Member..Party of No July 1st, 2009 12:36 pm ET who said:

Whaaat? How can this be? I thought the republican party was dead and that would never win another election? Oh my, this will not go over well with The Messiah.

It CAN be because Christie is a MODERATE Republican. Key word: MODERATE, not NEOCON as you obviously are! And I don't see how you can take "pride" in anything you say!

July 1, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. KT

I understand Mr. Corzine had to address the state budget when he came into office....I get that, he had to make cuts. But, he lost my respect when he chose to make cuts in higher education. Many of NJ's top high school students go to college outside of NJ. Cutting funding to the higher education system was the wrong way to go. We should be encouraging our high school students to continue their education in NJ, not outside of it. I was lucky that TCNJ honored my Bloustein Distinguished Scholar award for the rest of my college tenure.

If Mr. Corzine has to make cuts in education, how about we finally end the practice of throwing money at the Abbott school districts? Clearly, pouring money into those troubled schools for so many years has done nothing to help.

Lastly, how about we cut some of these bloated pensions for state workers? There are people in my county drawing on 2-3 pensions. It's absurd!

July 1, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. Dallasite

Robin,

I consider myself well informed as a Democrat–I am an avid current events and news reader–but I agree. Voters should be required to inform themselves on the issues before voting blindly.

Putting a D before someone's name doesn't necessarily make them Dumb or Dashing, nor does an R make them Ridiculous or Reinvigorating. Investigate thoroughly, people. Put Prudence before Party or Politics.

July 1, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. mimi

GO Christey ! the only thing CorIne did for the state in New Jersey was to put more money in his pocket......... I've live in NJ for 25 years and if thing don't get better I'll have to move out can't afford the taxes..I did have the american dream to own a house and work for thing I want but thanks to Corzine I will have to do that in another state as soon as I get the money to pay the EXIT TAX......he gets you coming and going....time for him to go

July 1, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. lucy2

I live in NJ, and will most likely voting for Christie. It has little to do with party (I'm an Indp. but tend to lean Dem) and everything to do with getting Corzine out. I think he's been terrible.
    I don't agree with everything Christie stands for politically, mainly on social issues, but at this point I just want someone else to give it a shot and bring some new ideas to the table. Corzine didn't create by himself all of the problems the state has, but he hasn't done anything to make them better and in some cases has made them worse. Enough is enough, and I know a lot of people here who feel the same way.
    However, I won't be one bit surprised if when all is said and done, there's the typical low turn out and Corzine is re-elected.

July 1, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. brian

Dont let this be a sign of the GOP National having gains on the Dems.

Everyone I know is voting for Christie in a hope of cleaning up the corruption in NJ State Government.. Its not viewed as illegal, but how business is done.

This is not indicative of the GOP party. In NJ if you are not pro-choice, it will be very difficult to win a seat.

July 1, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  25. Goreful

No matter who gets elected New Jersey will remain a garbage dump. That place should just be left to rot.

July 1, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |