July 2nd, 2009

Bennett: Sanford needs to stop 'embarrassing himself'

(CNN) – Mark Sanford is "embarrassing himself" and needs to resign as governor of South Carolina, conservative talk radio host and CNN contributor Bill Bennett said Thursday on CNN's American Morning.

Bennett, the latest high profile conservative to call for Sanford's ouster, said it's time for the onetime Republican rising star to ditch politics and focus solely on getting his life back in order.

"I know Mark Sanford. I know him quite well," Bennett said. "He needs to get his life back in order, his marriage back in order. He is embarrassing himself."

"There is the old notion of indecent exposure, usually that refers to somebody showing some skin, and there's another form of indecent exposure. He is telling us way too much," Bennett continued. "We're not interested. He needs to stop and take care of his life."

Bennett also suggested the GOP can easily fill the gap Sanford would leave.

"We have other people," he said. "We have other people who are not only fiscally interesting and sound but also can keep their lives together. "

Bennett's comments come as more than half of the Republicans in the state senate have now called for Sanford to step down, as well as a host of other GOP leaders in the state. Sanford has indicated he does not intend to resign.

"The whole thing is pretty ugly. It needs to stop," Bennett also said.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Ken in Pisgah Forest

If it needs to stop, then why is Bennett not keeping his mouth shut and talking to Sanford in private? A lot of Republicans pols are getting a lot of milage off of this and the last thing they really want is for it to die down. They are all a bunch of hipocrites.

July 2, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

The TOP REPUBLICAN title goes to Rush Limbaugh. He is their King.

July 2, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Jessica

Jefe "Has The Leader spoken on this yet? Until Rush has ruled on Sanford's resignation, it isn't likely to happen."

Yes he has, he basically says Sanfords reason for cheating was because of Barack Obama and the ruining of this nation, so Sanford just said "who cares, the worlds falling apart, might as well have fun"

Rush fails to apparently accept or realize this started in 2001 – oops, i guess Sanford though Dubya was ruining the world (and he was right!)

July 2, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. andrewstl

sanford is telling all so his wife will leave him. no otehr reason to be a big mouth. he does not have the guts to end the marriage. saying these things only make situatuiion worsr and he wants to be with other womea

July 2, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Jamie from Riverside

I have to admit that a week ago when this story broke I was pretty gleeful about another Republican hypocrite falling but since then I have to say i'm sorry for my original impression and feel bad for this guy. He clearly needs professional help and I hope he gets it and rebuilds his life. I never thought i'd say this about a Republican but my best wishes to him and his family.

July 2, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  6. Carole

Bennett needs to just shut up and sit down. The party of family values was a lie. Period. Are they apologizing to President Clinton for people like Sanford and Ensign who were blasting what they were doing.

What a hypocritical party the Repubs are? Now, after they smeared President Clinton they want this to be private. I say no put it out there. But Sanford and Ensign are no where near as tough as President Clinton is.

I think Sanford is having a nervous breakdown.....I think he is more than love happy. Hope he is getting help. Atonement helps! Apologize to President Clinton.

July 2, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. You had your window Repubs, and you blew it!

david, CA,

On top of the fact that they don't mention on FOX that he is a Republican a few times they put a (D) in front of his name.

They are so embarased of Sanford that next week they will most likely label him a RINO.

Now that's just sad!

July 2, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Since the GOP, and even dems made a mockery out of Blago, it's only fair we do the same with Sanford. Sit back and enjot the show. You can't pay for this kind of entertainment.

July 2, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. Slappy White

Careful what you wish for, Blackjack Bill.

I can't think of anything that could turn South Carolina into a blue state faster than that little kook Andre Bauer sitting in the governor's chair for the next 18 months.

July 2, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. Gary Jaussaud

Gary's comment is:
    Bill Bennett like alot of people to include Sandford need to get their
    lives togeather and stay out of the way of those trying to help the
    peope of the United States get back on their feet.

July 2, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. irma

Shouldn't Bennett be dead from some coronary problem by now? I hated this two faced, gambling adict since the Clinton Administration. He was all "Family Values" on TV and the complete opposite in life. He even went as far as publishing a "Book of Virtues" that I was forced to read for a Republican Professor. I received a page length, red D, over my Title page, for focussing on the idiots hypocracy rather than doing the assignment. It was the best D ever! As for Sanford, I would never stoop to Republican Party tactics. The Republicans who side with Bennett are doing typical Republican, cannibal gestures in order to mislead the public and the little support they have.

July 2, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. Bill

I recall Mr. Bennett did not use these kind words for President Clinton. He was stating he should be impeached. I forgot President Clinton was a Dem and Sandord is a Republican.

The Republicans are a JOKE!

July 2, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Steve

This is the first–and will probably be the only–time that I agree with Bill Bennett. I'm sick of listening to Mark Sanford's juvenile wailing. Shut up about the affair or get a divorce and marry the mistress already!

July 2, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |