July 2nd, 2009

Jenny Sanford speaks out

Jenny Sanford released a statement Thursday about her husband’s affair.
Jenny Sanford released a statement Thursday about her husband’s affair.

(CNN) - Jenny Sanford, wife of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, is speaking out in a new statement about her husband's affair.

"Mark showed a lack of judgment in his recent actions as governor. However, his far more egregious offenses were committed against God, the institutions of marriage and family, our boys and me," Mrs. Sanford said in a statement. "Mark has stated that his intent and determination is to save our marriage, and to make amends to the people of South Carolina. I hope he can make good on those intentions, and for the sake of our boys I leave the door open to it."

Full statement after the jump

Statement from First Lady Jenny Sanford

Columbia, S.C. – July 2, 2009- The last week has been very painful for me, my family and for the people of South Carolina. However, throughout this terrible ordeal, the incredible outpouring of kindness, support, and prayer I've received from countless friends and folks I have never even met has been truly uplifting. I appreciate that more than I can say. Please know that my sons and I are doing fine, given the circumstances. We are surrounded by friends and family, and we will make it through this. I believe it is how we respond to the challenges we face in life, and what we learn from them, that is most telling about who we truly are.

There is no question that Mark's behavior is inexcusable. Actions have consequences and he will be dealing with those consequences for a long while. Trust has been broken and will need to be rebuilt. Mark will need to earn back that trust, first and foremost with his family, and also with the people of South Carolina.

The real issue now is one of forgiveness. I am willing to forgive Mark for his actions. We have been deeply disappointed in and even angry at Mark. The Bible says, "In your anger do not sin." (Psalm 4:4) In this situation, this speaks to the essence of forgiveness and the critical need to channel one's energy into positive steps that uphold the dignity of marriage and the family, and lead to reconciliation over time. My forgiveness is essential for us both to move on with our lives, with peace, in whatever direction that may take us.

Desmond Tutu said "forgiveness is the grace by which you enable the other person to get up, and get up with dignity, to begin anew." Forgiveness opens the door for Mark to begin to work privately, humbly and respectfully toward reconciliation with me. However, to achieve true reconciliation will take time, involve repentance, and will not be easy.

Mark showed a lack of judgment in his recent actions as governor. However, his far more egregious offenses were committed against God, the institutions of marriage and family, our boys and me. Mark has stated that his intent and determination is to save our marriage, and to make amends to the people of South Carolina. I hope he can make good on those intentions, and for the sake of our boys I leave the door open to it. In that spirit of forgiveness, it is up to the people and elected officials of South Carolina to decide whether they will give Mark another chance as well.

Filed under: Extra • Mark Sanford
  1. Anonymous

What a class act.

July 2, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  2. Billy J in Texas

And now for something a lot more relevant to everyones lives here in America and around the world. We are going into the poppy fields of Afghanistan and chasing those miscreants "taliban" out! FINALLY! Good Job to our warriors over there! Thank you. Here's hoping they can keep those bearded dress wearing woman hating knuckledraggers out and get some food growing there again. What a boon to the area physically (food) and politically (Iran would have helped us do this long ago, both the mullahs and the smarter modern civilians are no fans of opium next door)

July 2, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  3. Blondie

Some men just want to be humiliated. Why else get caught? This is enjoyable for them. They also are too chicken to ask their wives for a divorce and expect to manipulate them into solving the problem for them. Look at Edwards, now Sanford. Both are chickens. Neither wants to stay married to the family he has. Both would like nothing better to slink off, marry their paramours, and blame everything on the wife. There ain't no difference between North or South Carolina!

July 2, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. sginva

Pease...... will these people just go away and spare us the details.
    They deserve each other!

July 2, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. Bill

Two Natures beat within my breast.
    One is evil. One is blessed.
    One I love….. One I hate…
    The One… I feed…. Will dominate.
    Unknown

There are no higher aspirations than to garner the faith and trust of the citizens of this country.
    We don’t expect perfection from those who lead us... But it is to be the mark to strive for.
    When you fall we will help you up…dust you off…
    Your willingness to stay the course. Only shows your lack of RESPECT. For the OFFICE.
    You’ve proven your lack of respect. For your God… your Wife… your family.
    Do the right Thing….. Heal your family…before you try to heal your State.

July 2, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Todd

Hey overbearing Christian politician, abide by your holier than thou code. Quit ASAP.

July 2, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  7. SC Voter

First let me say I NEVER voted for Mark Sanford!

Couple of points:
    1. Admittedly, Mark Sanford has not been able to stay away from Maria for more than 2-3 months since they first slept together in June 2008, so how many times will this be repeated in the next 18 months?
    2. If he will cheat WITH her, he will cheat ON her – so who's next?

GIVE IT UP SANFORD – WE ARE TIRED OF THIS CRAP!

July 2, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. NVa Native

Seems to me this guy is typical of the current Republican Party. And exactly why I stopped voting Republican when Gingerich and Hyde were cheating on their wives as they promoted the Clinton/Lewiski scandal. Hypocrites and wanna-bees who want to control our personal lives and destroy our civil liberties. Not that Dems are without hipocracy, they just seem more comfortable with their own and our humanity.

July 2, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  9. Pat

He is in love with his mistress. Let him go and get on with your life. Stop with the statements. We've all heard way to much.

July 2, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. gtallo

Strange, I did not read anywhere in her statement that she is taking him back. She will forever have a relationship with him, whether married or not. New movie, "Diary of a mad governors' wife".

July 2, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  11. angrysob in VA

For once I'd like to see one of these doormat wives throw the bum out and file for divorce. Maybe they're just as bad as their good for nothing husbands.

July 2, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. GOP4Life

judge not, lest ye be judged

July 2, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. John Welch

The scripture quotation is inaccurately cited. The reference to Psalm is wrong. The verse is actually from Ephesians 4.

July 2, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  14. Billy J in Texas

GI JOE sez:

"Can't imagine tryiing to make up ==== at my in-law's house.

Ouch."

You got that right. I think "Ouch" would be followed by an phone call to an ambulance service at my in-laws if I had the guts to walk in their house after saying the stuff that guy has been saying in public.

July 2, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. HJA

Tom Casey July 2nd, 2009 4:03 pm ET

"Hello, It doesn't surpise me that a conservative Bible state would ask for their governor to resign on moral grounds even though there is no evidence that he abused his office"

He should resign for just that reason. The GOP rants about everyone else while thumping their chest on how moral they are. They judge others so it's their turn. Just another reason why I'll never vote for a GOOPER again. Any group that can lie as effortlessly as they do doen't deserve any votes.

July 2, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  16. LoLo

Both of these people are crazy. They need to really get a grip. This man is in love with his mistress no doubt and the wife does not hear or see it. Trust me if she lets this man return she will regret it the rest of her life. The whole family will be miserable. It is not worth it. Kick him out. I want him to resign because he left his job for a week, and went out of the country at that with out letting his staff know. The affair is definitely between him and his wife.

July 2, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  17. myra

jenny sanford should leave this man...he professed his love for another woman..not his wife...he wants to fall in love with his wife again? she is a fool to go back to him....most politcal wives are fools....and their husbands keep lying to them. who should pitty this woman? no one if she goes back to him!

July 2, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  18. petena

Whatever happens between the governor and his wife is their private matter. However, he should resign for abandoning his state for 4 days and not leaving anyone in charge. Excuse me, but I don't know of anyone that can not show up for work without telling the boss for four days and then show up with a sob story like this one. PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>

July 2, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. linuxphreak2600

You try to patch things up. And it may work but when your the Governor things should be perfect because people will always remember the mistakes before the good stuff.

July 2, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  20. MJHS1967

It's time for Mrs. Sanford to shut-up. -This is getting a little boring! :(

July 2, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  21. Canadian Girl

I truly feel sorry for Mark Sanford. The media has plastered private and personal messages from one human being to another all over the television, radio and newsprint. From what I can gather, Mark had a true affection for this woman. It is unfair of us to judge what we do not know.

Can a man who has compromised his marriage with infidelity still lead a state? Of course he can. Other men have done worse and lived to write books about it...not to mention make millions off of their autobiographies.

We would all be hypocrits to remark on his deeds and then hide our emails, phone calls and text messages from the prying eyes of the rest of the world. I'm willing to bet most of us would be mortified if our phones or computers fell into the hands of someone else.

To thine ownself be true. Funny...marriage has a way of squashing that ideal.

July 2, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  22. genek1953

Sounds more like she's saying she's made her decision as to whether to give hubby another chance but isn't trying to tell the voters what decision they should make.

July 2, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  23. John

So Republican!. Put the spin on a story with a prop from religion and feed it to the public. So typical of Carolina hypocirites. Lord, save us from these religious fanatics.

July 2, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. Lynn

These two should be discussing this in private; the more they speak the more ridiculous they appear. All of this is being absorbed by their sons. What kind of example are they setting for them.

July 2, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. JWB94596

This is a textbook case of "battered wife syndrome"

July 2, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |