July 3rd, 2009

Palin: ‘I look forward to helping others’

(CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s office released a statement Friday, minutes after she announced her decision to step down from office at the end of the month, listing the “Selected Accomplishments of the Palin Administration.”

Full Palin statement after the jump

July 3, 2009, Anchorage, Alaska – Governor Sarah Palin announced today that she will not seek a second term as Governor of the State of Alaska and will relegate the power of governor to Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell in order to serve Alaska’s best interests. Lieutenant General Craig Campbell will move into Parnell’s current role.

“People who know me know that besides faith and family, nothing's more important to me than our beloved Alaska,” said Governor Palin. “Serving her people is the greatest honor I could imagine.”

Standing outside her home in Wasilla, Alaska, Governor Palin reflected upon some of the administration’s accomplishments for Alaska as she approaches her final year in office.

“I am determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path,” said Governor Palin after the announcement. “Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional ‘Lame Duck’ status in this particular climate would just be another dose of ‘politics as usual,’ something I campaigned against and will always oppose. It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments, and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success. I look forward to helping others – to fight for our state and our country, and campaign for those who believe in smaller government, free enterprise, strong national security, support for our troops, and energy independence.”

The transfer of power will occur following the Governor’s picnic in Fairbanks on July 26. At that point in time, Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell will be sworn in and Lieutenant General Craig Campbell will assume his role as Lieutenant Governor.

Governor Palin will spend July 4th in Juneau.

Filed under: Alaska • Sarah Palin
  1. DBoy

Please "Help us all", Disappear.

July 3, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. Mary - PA

As if we didn't hear enough of her babble when she was "busy" running the state of Alaska, now she's going to never stop talking! Hopefully when she loses 2012 she'll get the hint that we really don't want to hear from her any more!

July 3, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. She's smarter than Obama!

At least she doesn't need a teleprompter like the current idiot-in-chief.

The communist press will now foucus entirely on Palin instead of the communist takeover by the Obama administration.

July 3, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. jt

Good riddance. Can not get over how abrasive that speech was!

July 3, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. KJR

it was a cold calculation

now she can earn as much as she wants writing books and making speeches, and travel the country with no restrictions

the next 2 years will be tough on governors all over the country; they will be running up massive deficits, and either cutting programs (unpopular) or raising taxes (also unpopular)

So, she chose the easy thing ... and quit

now she can criticize the Federal government, without defending the large deficits that Alaska also has

it's always amazing to me these people who claim they want to serve ... and then when they get a chance, they don't do the job

she's nothing more than a beauty pageant contestant who enjoys all the attention

just say no to Fluffy Bunny

July 3, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  6. Palin_is_a_loser

Anyone who thinks that Sarah is smart enough to be our VP (or smarter than Obama) must be really dumb!

The only problem with dumb people is that they don't know that they are dumb! :( But since they have pride (like the rest of us), please accept my sincere apologies for hurting your feelings!

July 3, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. GI Joe

What an insult to her fellow republicans – Leaving it "Lame Duck".

Takes moron mentality to even tolerate this DITZ

July 3, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Tracy

Who cares – begone.

July 3, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. cheryl brooks

I guess Palin will take Obama's cue and do some community organiging door to door.... who do she think she's fooling!!!!!

July 3, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. Hilary

More like she looks forward to "helping herself."

July 3, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. mary

Please Sarah stay away from Illinois, we don't want or need your help. Go back to school and learn how to speak, first of all and then raise your family. Maybe someday, you'll think about having an abortion, you know what you want to take away from other women.

July 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. jay

"I look forward to helping others" at the expense of the "others" in Alaska. Sounds like good logic. Good thing she's not selfish here or anything. //

July 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Julio

She is not telling the true

Revelation

I am here to reveal that Governor Palin is being investigated for something out of ordinary. She was caught doing something that when revealed, will be a deception for most of her supporters. If she keeps her job the scandal will affect the Republican more deeper. Since, she will be forced out of office.

So, for the sake of the party she is stepping down. But the investigation will go forward. In three months the media will have a huge story to sell.

Can't you read her face during the announcement?
    Can't you see the deception on her speech?
    Why you think she doesn't attack President Obama or the Democrats during the announcement?

She is done folks.

Wait and see.

July 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Darth Vadik, CA

I'd rather be fighting against the taliban than accept help from a Republican. Republicans are much more dangerous, bigger liars and only worship greed.

(remeber their biggest hero Reagan said "greed is good", when somebody shows you who they are, believe them).

July 3, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. I Lean

Heads up to Media inlets and outlets: DO NOT COVER HER. No news about SP is Good News.

July 3, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. JR

‘I look forward to helping others’

After I've helped myself of course. I guess the fact that her "governorship" was the only thing that gave her credibility must have escaped her notice or maybe she saw something shiny while looking at Russia and got distracted

July 3, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  17. Michael, Pensacola, FL

Yes with her help, you too can see Russia from your house and skin a Moose with your teeth!

July 3, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  18. RONNIE

Sarah Palin is no longer viable for the office of the President of the United States of America.By quitting her office and leaving Alaska in turmoil she has shown her contempt for office and the people of the United States.Who could cast a vote for her to be President if she can not commit herself to a place as small as Alaska?

July 3, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. Patrick, Lake Stevens, Washington

Yeah, right!

July 3, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  20. Julzzz

I can't wait to see what she does next. She clearly has had something big come through what will be good for her, this will clearly come out soon enough. Who knows what it is, but I doubt seriously she will be sitting at home simply watching Trigg.

As for those of you who think she is out, just sit back. She will return with a vengence, and I loved the direct, cut to the chase, Obama stabs she made. Easily hit the mark they were intended to! Way to go Sarah!! She clearly will be more able to stand up for the true American, that is proud to be Americans, believe in Smaller Government and less taxes, individuality, independence and the American dream. I hope she comes to the main states and shakes things up!

As for what Powell says, we da%! sure don't need the government to FIX things for us. We need them out of our lives, and out of our pocket books!!!! Someone needs to end this bigger than life program that our grandchildren can't even begin to pay for once and for all.

Obama will be out, the Dems will be locked away and the moderate conservatives will get back in there and have to sweep up all the poo left behind from the Dems Derriers!!!

July 3, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  21. Larry

Republican to the core ...

When the going gets tough ... run don't walk, in the other direction

July 3, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. SueG

Well Sarah Palin finally has the full attention of the news media – exactly where she likes to be – wonder what she is up to now -

July 3, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. RUTY

I saw her on TV when she first started telling the story about resigning. I went outside–came back 25 minutes later and she was still talking. Does this "idiot of the centuty" ever stop talking?

July 3, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. Lost in Texas Forever

Gov Palin is quoted as saying she is willing to help people both Republicans AND Democrats alike. Palin help a DEMOCRAT??? Now that I want to see.....Rush might have a heart attack if she would help a Democrat. BTW if she dislikes the media as much as she claims she is in the wrong business.

July 3, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |