July 3rd, 2009

Palin to step down as governor, not seeking re-election

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month. She will not seek election to a second gubernatorial term in 2010.

Palin, a Republican, was elected governor in 2006. She was tapped as Arizona Sen. John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year.

Palin said she was transferring authority to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in on July 26.

"People who know me know that besides faith and family, nothing's more important to me than our beloved Alaska," Palin said at an announcement from her home in Wasilla.

"Serving her people is the greatest honor I could imagine."

Palin added in a statement that she was "determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path. ... Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional 'Lame Duck' status in this particular climate would just be another dose of 'politics as usual,' something I campaigned against and will always oppose."

A Republican source close to Palin's political team told CNN's John King that it was a "calculation" she made that "it was time to move on."

The governor's "book deal and other issues" were "causing a lot of friction up" in her home state, the source said, adding that he believes that she is "mapping out a path to 2012."

Another source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that Palin "thinks she has accomplished goals she has set forward. ... She sees what a positive influence she has had on people's lives from traveling the country in the last year."

As the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, Palin has been considered one of the front-runners for the next GOP presidential nomination. Her decision not to seek another term as governor is sure to stoke speculation that Palin is seriously eyeing a run for the White House.

In an interview last month with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Palin said she was unsure about her re-election bid because she needed to focus on her state and her family.

"So, no decision yet on either 2010 or let alone 2012?" Blitzer asked.

"No decision that I'd want to announce today," Palin responded.

– CNN's Peter Hamby, John King, Mark Preston, and Alan Silverleib contributed to this report.

(Updated at 4:45 p.m. with additional information)

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Mario Bratfisch from Berlin

Bad decision mrs. Failin',

does she really believe she would have any chance in the 2012 election?
    Come on… a high-profile politician, that had no passport until her mid-40s. A Woman, that didn't know, Africa was not a country, but a continent. A woman who didn't know about the doctrin of her own party's president, and who didn't know, what the bailout does… Come on. America can't afford that joke of a woman. There's so much better qualified women for that job than she is.

And I promise you…the whole world would laugh about the stupidity of Americans, to vote Palin, in the very same beginning of a century, where they were stupid enough, to vote Bush twice…

July 3, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. CAW in MD

@Tami,

Actually, that Hope & Change thing is working quite well, thank you. More kids insured, the beginnings of a rational energy policy, good debate on health care reform, economy starting to show signs of coming back, and a foreign policy that actually looks like the America of old, as opposed to whatever hell we've been in for the previous 8 years. All in only 6 months. Just imagine all the good things that will happen after he's had 8 years...

July 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. dexter

Good thing Palin didn't win the election. She probably would've dropped out of her position like she is now to make a more positive change in the world. Umm...isn't that the goal when running and working for government.

July 3, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Brendose, Oceanside CA

politics as usual?? Finish your job!! Or wait, you couldn't finish college, you couldn't manage your family.

You're right.........you're staying on course Palin.

The epitomy of the American worker: "it's no use, I can win....I quit!!"

July 3, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. cheryl brooks

I guess what she's up to, how about some communiting organzing???? I wonder where she got that idea from Da!!!!!

July 3, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. In-Lite-Ted

To: christine lynn/cristina mann-gleason east
    Answer, Fox News

July 3, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. ginny, new york

I am not a Republican or Democrat

I am just a registered voter

I do not dislike Sarah Palin because of all the obivious reasons

I do not know her personally so I can not say if I like her or not

However, what I can say, is that I want all politicians, especially the
    President to be 1000 times smarter than me

And for all the obivious reasons, I know that Sarah Palin is not that person

People are not afraid of Sarah Palin because she is a republican or because she "tells it like it is...you betcha"

People are afraid of Sarah Palin because she is incompetent to be in any public office

I know that I would never want my son's future in her hands

I cried for three weeks when George Bush got re-elected (or elected for the first time)

I know now that God did not give the world John Kerry, because he wanted to give the world Barack Obama

And I thank God for that every single day!!!!!

July 3, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. William

One doesn't resign a governorship with a 1.5 years left in one's term. Period. If one does, one may kiss any hope of holding a higher office goodbye. Palin just ended her political career - a career that was already questionable because of her bizarre and immature behavior. Ed Rollins of CNN says that people are going to be suspicious of this move. Suspicious is not quite the right word. Let's try that we know that there must be something nefarious behind this resignation. We're going to find out that Sarah was caught with her panties down, has been taking kick-backs from someone, has abused her office is some criminal way, etc. In truth, she's never really been governor of Alaska; more of a spokeswoman who entertained herself on the taxpayers dime. She's certainly spent more time on the road as candidate and GOP sweetheart-of-the-month than serving the people of Alaska over the last two years. And her popularity in Alaska has been plummeting. Is that it? Is it as simple as that? The political landscape got rocky and Sarah can't hack it?

Think you can run for president now, Sarah? Think again. The GOP wouldn't put you up for the job if you were the last Republican left.

July 3, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. In-Lite-Ted

Shoreline, OK to Drive?
    Not a Problem,
    Our State tax dollars are paying the state patrol to drive and fly her and her family everywhere

July 3, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. Nathan columbus ga

this is great news! I hope she takes sanford with her, considering they are both losers

July 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. Elizabeth White

Palin just gave an unscripted 45 minute speech (virtually no notes) from her heart and that will be the initial speech for Pres of 2012.
    How long can Obama talk with no Teleprompter ? Five words before he stammers and stutteres – Mr. O is a groomed "reader" for those who groomed him (you would be shocked if you knew the behind the scenes and who is there).
    Wash POst and their money making scheme this week inc the White House is very interesting. …. $25,000 for access to White house. They will screw up and have to be prosecuted by the end of 2010.
    Jack Carlson
    WA

Forty-five minues of run on sentences and no clear concise message is not what I call a great speech. But hey, what do you expect from republiCANTs.

July 3, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Roger in CA

"Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional 'Lame Duck' status in this particular climate would just be another dose of 'politics as usual,' something I campaigned against and will always oppose." "

Holy cow! (or should I say Moose?) By that logic, if elected president, she would resign the day after her second inauguration. While that would be wonderful, I'd hate to think what sort of dimwit would be willing to be second banana to a prize like Palin....

God save us from any future designs on power this wretched beast has. I PRAY that she is dropping from politics permanently... that someone showed her the goods on something that would destroy her should she try to come back.

I was always taught that there is good in every one. That's not the case with Sarah Palin. She must be stopped.

July 3, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  13. annie against biased news

It is so sad the first time a HONEST politician steps up to bat for the American people and the far left liberal incompetents and the repubbie inbreds slaughter her. No wonder obama got elected – no wonder people are sitting on their behinds letting him destroy our country. You idiots should be more concerned as to what obama and his chicago henchmen are doing not Gov. Palin stepping down. If the government run news media had maligned my family like they have hers, I would have done more than step down.

July 3, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. Jack C

Palin was protecting Alaskans from further expense as the low lifes who have been attacking her (scared of her in 2012) won't stop.
    I predict she will be back w/a vengence and beat the pants off the Marxists in the Whitehouse.
    Jack C
    WA

July 3, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  15. Excuse me?

Yes, Virginia – there is a Santa Claus...IN JULY!! Great INDEPENDENCE DAY present for the people of Alaska, America, and the WORLD! If she can't stand the heat to govern the state of Alaska...who would EVER want her to run THE USA? Oh yeah...some of you bigoted haters and Rush followers. Geez...get a life!

July 3, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  16. Wayne Moore

Actually we DO need a woman President. I'd like to see Condalisa Rice give it a go. A double woman ticket, with Palin, or even better, Michele Bachmann, as VP would be the bomb.

July 3, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  17. Nadine

And we the people of Alaska say, "Hallelujah"! Palin can't move fast enough for us to get off the stage. The lower 48 states really, really, don't know 1/2 the story of the Palins!

July 3, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. techie

I am a conservative and I am mortified that the GOP can't come up with anyone better than Palin to be the party "star". She is everything I have come to hate about politicians....in fact most of the GOP is. When will we wake up and realize a two party system was NOT what the founding fathers had in mind?

July 3, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. annie against biased news

God Save Us From people like Roger in CA.

July 3, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Nadine

Did someone say "Indictment"? Stay tune.

July 3, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Karen - Missouri

If Palin can't handle her job in Alaska she would NEVER be able to handle a position in Washington!!!!!! How could she even think she could handle running for president in 2012 or even a senator in 2010 when she doesn't have the decency and stamina to handle being governor???? She's hiding something for sure. Typical Palin

July 3, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. cobra Montana

A great lady and she will give the left wing ulcers LOL. She will have my vote and financial support also. Go Sarah!!!!!!!!!

July 3, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. John

I don't think she will stay in politics. I don't know about the rest of you but from watching her the last few months, Palin has not been herself. Take a look at pictures from last year and you will see a big difference in her appearance. She has lost weight and is looking older and greyer. I don't think Sarah Palin is quiting over anything other than her health and sanity. I think with a lot of the spotlight on her(which is her own doing) she hasn't been able to achieve what she wanted. Too much scrutiny.

July 3, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. Jane Jaones

PALIN IS A HARRY TRUMAN, AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS STARTING NEXT FALL. We might actually get a "REAL" person and not a fake cold heartless and calculating perosn in the Whitehouse in 2012.
    Palin can give a speech without notes, so could Truman....Obama can't do anything without a teleprompter as he is a groomed person – most of what he says he has been told what to soy – behind the scenes would scare you.
    Jane J
    NY

July 3, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. P

DON"T SAY she's running for President in 2012; the GOP has had enough bad candidates already!!

July 3, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |