July 3rd, 2009

Republicans react to Palin news

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican Governors Association released a statement Friday in response to the Palin announcement:

RGA Statement on Governor Palin’s Announcement

Republican Governors Association Executive Director Nick Ayers issued the following statement in regards to Sarah Palin’s announcement today that she will not seek reelection in 2010 and will step down from the governorship on July 25th.

“While we regret the news announced by Governor Palin today, Alaska will continue to have a Republican governor through 2010 and we are confident the state will elect a Republican in next year’s election.

The RGA’s focus remains firmly on the gubernatorial elections in New Jersey and Virginia this year, and the 37 gubernatorial elections that will take place in 2010. We know that winning these races is the most important task facing our Party over the next two years.”

Filed under: RGA • Sarah Palin
  1. Ted D

I see that several Republicans here are trying to celebrate Palin's announcement as a good contemporaneous speech without a teleprompter. Are you people serious?! She could not have been more meandering and disorganized if she tried. I would give a student in my class an F for this sort of effort. Get a clue, you hapless buffoons: this woman is an embarrassment to anyone with a three-digit IQ, and your party will go down in a blaze of glory if you make her your nominee in 2012.

July 3, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  2. bella

Ah, the 'Dead Fish' good bye speech – kind of appropriate, dontcha' think?

July 3, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  3. MC

Hopefully she'll just fade away from memory and take all you "old school" republicans with her. Until you all realize you have to change with the new culture of the country you will continue the downward spiral!

July 3, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  4. God Bless America

Its not suprising to me that Sarah Palin is jumping the ship....Only palin realise that she can never get her re-election so run run run...

July 3, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  5. TM in CO

Everyone keeps saying they want her to just fade away. Well, each time there is an article on her and someone posts, it just makes her bigger and bigger. She is probably quitting to learn more about national affairs and how to speak proper English so that she can make a bid for the WH in 2012. Hard to hold an office and run for another polical post at the same time. Look at our current President, John McCain GW Bush and the list goes on and on.................................

July 3, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. Steve

I can't say that I'm surprised that she's resigning.....since she landed in the national spotlight she has struck me as the type of person who will always opt for what will further her own agenda and need for self gratification. I am ashamed for her that she has put her own ambitions ahead of her commitment and responsibility to the people of Alaska.

July 3, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  7. elvera

I hope very much that Palin will finally shut up and just disappear. What a pathetic, demagogic and stupid woman! What kind of person can like or, God forbid, love this woman? It is a scary thought that there are so many people in this country who ‘admire’ her; she probably makes them feel smart.

July 3, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. Ted Tartaglia

I guess that Caribou Barbie finally realized that people are just not into her that much. It surprises me that she thinks she can launch another bid for elective office after becoming a quitter.

July 3, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  9. Angie-OH

sarah is a NUT. can't finish what she starts. these repugs have truely lost their minds, what little they had left. she was just rambling on about NOTHING. Hopefully we won't hear from her again, but I'm sure we will. Maybe, just maybe she will use this time between now and 2012, to further her education and take some english lessons. She is a complete IDIOT.

July 3, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. Jayson

You get the feeling alot of the republican comments in this article are out of desperation, they feel that by lashing out they can defend their ideology from it's imminent demise... Republicans had no answers when they were in power, and they surely don't now either... For every republican that's mired in scandal, you have to assume there's 2 others that haven't been caught yet....

July 3, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  11. Denna

I'm sure that the Republicans are relieved. I am also sure they are hoping that she does not rear her head during the primaries as a contender. I'm sure they are hoping against hope that there isn't a brewing scandal. The party of "family values" and "high morals" can't afford too many more of these revelations. Well, we'll see.

July 3, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. D.A.

stay in Alaska,,, please, do us all a favor

July 3, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  13. Stu-Florida

How about " FORMER Republicans React to Palin News"...

Many, many of the smarter ones switched partys after or during (like me) the election because she was even a considered.
    Their (his) choice of her showed a total lack of seriousness. Her empty head should have been discovered during the vetting process.

Prayers do work!!

July 3, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

She sounded worst than Bobby Jindal. The (R) is dying slowly but surely. Hopefully her 15 minutes of fame are up.

July 3, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. S M R

@ Brad(R) Where do you get your information, RUSH LIMBAUGH. You my friend are a babbling Idiot.

July 3, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. J. Alexander

We as American for years have known for years politians will say and do anything to get elected. I respect Ms palin as a human being, and to have comon everyday hardworking people in office is American, but in the higest office in the counrty in a dangerous world we need the most skilled people in the country handleing our affairs, and for anyone to think or believe Ms. palin was even remotely quifiled for the job, one heart attack from the presidency, should move to north korea where sucession is a family matter, and look what they got.

July 3, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. DB in Chi-town

If you think about it, what has she really done in her Political career.
    Keep in mind, John McCain only chose her as a "token" VP candidate, to try and pander to women voters.

Sarah Palin has no political clout beyond the obscure state of Alaska.

She is irrelevant. But I must admit, she does make a nice MILF.

July 3, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  18. steve

God bless the president , Barack Obama, he is the leader of the world and the strongest country in the planet.
    He is the leader of the country.
    Mean while, his strength and influence is disseminating the Republican party even with their hate fest platform.
    Ensign, Sanford and now Palin is gone.
    The rest should be careful , because God is with the president.

July 3, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. Mary

She has been married to Todd since 1998. Either she has 2 or 3 kids born out of wedlock or they have a different father. We as America would be lost without her higher than thou family values. hmmmm

July 3, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  20. nate

Who will support Todd?

July 3, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. jim

I'm curious on how she is going to spin this for 2012. As far as I see she A) didn't have the stomach to see an entire term through, or B) she a is calculating politician who abandoned her duties to advance her own career.

Either way, quitting early seems contradict her self-proclaimed identity as a hard-working, "real" person.

July 3, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  22. Margaret

People, do you have ANY idea how sick and tired this country, no the entire WORLD, is of having you blame everything on Bush and gossip like 12 year old school girls about Gov. Palin????

You'll find out at the next election.

If I were you, I'd go get a good education. You're in dire need of it.

July 3, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  23. Carolyn

I was very happy to hear that Sara Palin was stepping down as our missing in action Govenor. She did nothing for us in Southeast Alaska. She ran her office from Anchorage or Wasilla, asked for per deim everyday that she did not stay in Juneau. She says that she is an Alaskan but never took the time to address all the important issues that needed her attention. To me I felt that she only wanted what she enjoyed the most and it was al the Lime light that her and her family got. I am just curious just how much time she helped all the other legislatures with session. We are celebrating Alaska's 50 year anniversary this Saturday at the Juneau/Douglas City museum and I had heard that our Govenor was going to go to Woodard, Ok. , I could not imagine what was more important than our 50 year statehood celebration. Maybe we need to be part of the lower 48 to receive some of her attention. Ahh! What the heck, how can we miss her when she is never around.

July 3, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. Sara

My niece (who lives in Alaska) told me by phone that she felt relieved that Sarah Palin resigned. She said that Palin destroyed their government's office of foreign affairs by cutting that budget to a one person office. My niece explained that Alaska needs foreign relations for trade but Palin missed the point of how important foreign trade is to Alaska. ( I am being polite and restating my niece's statements to keep the profanity out.) I may not have stated the correct government office title but you all understand what I mean.

I on the other-hand am thrilled that Palin has had to resign. I am not a supporter of the religious far right trying to take over our country. She represents that group. All civil servants, elected or appointed must not overstept the first amendment. The religious far right want her to be their leader. Oh, please God NO..o...o..o..

July 3, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. cm

Thanks God is Friday, Good Bye Sara Palin please do us a favor stay home we had enough of you already. Better take care of your children and put your acts together.

July 3, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |