July 3rd, 2009

Republicans react to Palin news

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican Governors Association released a statement Friday in response to the Palin announcement:

RGA Statement on Governor Palin’s Announcement

Republican Governors Association Executive Director Nick Ayers issued the following statement in regards to Sarah Palin’s announcement today that she will not seek reelection in 2010 and will step down from the governorship on July 25th.

“While we regret the news announced by Governor Palin today, Alaska will continue to have a Republican governor through 2010 and we are confident the state will elect a Republican in next year’s election.

The RGA’s focus remains firmly on the gubernatorial elections in New Jersey and Virginia this year, and the 37 gubernatorial elections that will take place in 2010. We know that winning these races is the most important task facing our Party over the next two years.”

Filed under: RGA • Sarah Palin
  1. tomiwa

"It is always more difficult to build than to destroy". If it take George W bush 8years to destroy America, why should anyone expects Obama to fix the mess in one year.

It beats me

July 3, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Randi L.

Hey, that's the statement the RGA wrote in anticipation of Governor Sanford of South Carolina stepping down. They weren't expecting Palin to drop first, but all they had to do was change the caption.

Why the smile on the long face, John Kerry? Because I may have a face like a horse, but that horse's @$$ from Alaska is toast.

July 3, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. Marissa

JFK

I voted for Obama. I am from Illinois so I had a good handle on what he had and had not done , what was truth or fact. I had trepidations about his lack of experience. I know that George W is to blame for the mess we are in ( sigh yes I voted for the idiot)..... I am hoping Obamas policies work . I am rooting for him. I am just realistic enough to know people are hurting. They are scared. I hear my employees worry about jobs, their mortgages.

If it doesnt turn around , the people will play Obama. The ball stops with who is in office.

But again Palin pushed me from voting for Mccain to Obama. Period. How can she possibly think bailing out 1 and 1/2 years left into her term is a good poltical move? She had plenty of time to run for president after her term ended. And if Alaska was in a good place in 2010 it would have given her an edge up with the neocons.....

July 3, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. luvinman29

Old White Man Now Independent Party Member July 3rd, 2009 5:44 pm ET

John King is a staunch Republican who should be over at Fraud News (aka Fox News). I don't watch CNN when John King is on. I never watch any show where John King is talking, spreading his Republican agenda.

Ditto!!
    John King is on the wrong network. He does a terrible job at hiding his republican, right-wing favortism. When he is on, I turn to another channel.

July 3, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. Mike

Maybe now there will be a politician who will attack the liberals and and their failed policies on the liberal networks every evening. She may even be bold enough to ask – Where is Obama's birth cirtificate? Talk about is he or she qualified?

July 3, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. Mark

Quitting while Governor, not even near the end of the term. What happens if she holds the office of President or Vice-Present, quit when things get tough?

Any ordinary person quitting a job gets questioned about it later down the line as to why. Will people remember this when she comes back to the National stage?

Quitters certainly are not a role model.

July 3, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  7. RUTY

Another Republican bites the dust. Hurrah.

July 3, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. kingdavid1

I cannot stand the Republican headquarters Male Commentator on CNN Politics. He is why the Republican Party lost. Governor Palin made the smartest Political move for the Republican Party Ticket now and 2012 Presidential Election if she has to run against Obama, who I voted for or Hillary Clinton who I did not vote for but Hillary Clinton has the one job now that qualifies a woman to be president of the United States and if the Republican Party was not so prejudice they would have talked Condolica Rice into running in the Primary Election against Obama and Hillary because Rice's job put her in the catagory of women like Margrett Thatcher in the Argentina war and Golden Mier in the Olympic Terroist attack! WAKE UP REPUBLICAN'S I DON'T LIKE THE SOCIALIST Democrats that followed President Bush's example of "Welfare for Corporate Fat Cats that ship American jobs overseas along with th Manufacturing equipmewnt and our national Resources for CHEAP LABOR! If any Country other than the U.S.A. is importing more than they are exporting plus exporting American jobs, please let me know so I can visit them in the Mental Ward because if a county's tax base is on income taxes and you don't let the American workers earn income we are going to go broke with paper money not worth the paper it is printed on and HYPER Inflation to replace a Recession!

July 3, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Marissa

Brad you are entitled to your opinion and I mine. Thats what makes this America

However I am sick of hearing how George W Bush kept us safe for 7 years. Yes we were. But I will never forget who had been in office for 9 months when 9/11 happened. I blame Clinton too for not doing more. But Bush was given intelligence on Al Qaeda prior to 9/11 he and Cheney dropped the ball. I still support the invasion of Afghanistan to try to get Bin Laden . But 9/11 happened under BUSHES Watch.

July 3, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  10. NoTelePrompTer

I have to laugh at the remarks made by the lunatic libs on this site. You are terrified of Sarah Palin. Her honesty was so foreign to you you can't handle it. No Democrat of either sex has ever been attacked by the news media, idiotic talk show hosts and 'comedians' the way she has been. All of it was FEAR driven. I personally think it would be a great idea for her to run for the Senate.

July 3, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  11. Marissa

Oh Gads here come the birth certificare conspiracy nuts like Mike...... I hope she goes on FOX and spews her hateful opinions. Other than OReilly it wll be just another commentator I watch for laughs and giggles when I was FIxated against OBAMA ..... Xenaphobes 1

July 3, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  12. Brad(R)

Garofulaar

we brought this country to its knees??? Okay the recession did start during Bush's 2nd term. All of you say he didnt do anything at the end of his 2nd term,because the democrats ruled the senate nothing would get past there. Nationalizing health care(democrats) realll smart, why do you think people come here and leave there nationalized health care systems?? Because it sucks. Thats going to bring this country to its knees, houses have to be up to date to sell(smart, house sells are down so lets enforce another law that would cost more money to sell a house or even get it in good enough condition to be on the market). THOSE are bringing this country to its knees,obama promised to cut the deficit in half by the end of his 1st term(hopefully only),woww with this spending whats the cut in half deficit gonna be??? 50trillion. thats great. I'm outta here,I cant take this stuff anymore.

July 3, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. ron

Is it me or does she sound like an idiot every time she talks?

July 3, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  14. Enlightened Voter

NoTelePrompTer – No, your wrong, she is clueless, a pathological liar, she lied continuously about President Obama, was negative and can't answer a simple sentence. We are not jealous, we just see her for the evil, clueless woman she is.

July 3, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  15. Marissa

I am so sick of neocons saying us so called liberals are afraid of Palin . WE LAUGH at her . we think shes a joke...... I am confident she will never be president. I dont envy her, I dont want to be her. I am a woman and think she is a JOKE. period. Dont confuse our laughter with fear. My husband is a Republican and other than saying she looked hot in a skirt thinks shes an idiot. I have 25 female employees and 1 man and out of that group 3 count it three like Palin ( and no the man thought she was a moron) This group of women are Republican . Democrat, white , black, Jewish, Latino, Caucasian, Phillipino,Indiana, Hindu, Christian. and all suburbanites and Chicagoans. and 3 out of 25 like her. So please dont insult my intelligence anymore and tell me Im frightened

PS I am in the top 10% of income in the USA..... So please dont come back as I usually get that I must be on welfare, or take entitlements.

July 3, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  16. Debbie Green

She is sooo fake! Not a person that seems trustworthy. GOODBYE!

July 3, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  17. NoTelePrompTer

Ron, I think it is you..... that sounds like an idiot.

July 3, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. Jim

She quits on the people of Alaska that elected her for a full term and she quit one college after another because the spoke good English, which she clearly can't master. She even has had multiple religions. The woman is a quitter when things get tough or when they don't serve her. See ya quitter! You betcha.

July 3, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. Brad(R)

Marissa
    You are allowed to have your own opinion,never denied that. And yeah maybe 9/11 could have been avoided,I wasn't to into politics when it happened so I cant make much of a point on the intelligence he gathered.However,maybe al-qaeda would of never become a threat if Clinton would of stopped accepting money from the terrorists not to take bin lawdon out.Everyone has a bad president once in a while,Clinton I think was terrible,and Bush had his ups and downs. And I dont think Obama is living up to any expectations rite now, we'll see what happens later on. Thanks for actually having smart opinions and not saying the same thing over and over again like some people do.

July 3, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. jbird

First, a little grammar housekeeping:
    Florida Joe, "progress" is a noun. It is also a verb, meaning "move forward."
    In-Lite-Ted, Alaskans did vote to SUCEED when they elected Sarah Palin. You probably mean that you want to SECEDE.

Palin's opponents have overused excessive criticism to the point where it has lost its shock value. Name – calling (e.g, fruitcake, having mental problems, rubbish) are verbal weapons of people who cannot express an intelligent opinion. Paul Begala, commenting on CNN, suggested that she might haven a hidden disease. I'm wondering what disease is manifested by high energy, a smiling countenance, healthy-looking skin, charisma, and poise.

The opponents are merely telegraphing their fear of this woman. Even in the immediate moments after her announcement, a sign of desperation is evident.

The timing of the announcement has been discussed. Most of the time, announcements like Palin's are made with fanfare on slow news days, not the day before an important holiday. But I have noticed that she has nudged Michael Jackson and the Fourth of July off the top of the news.

July 3, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. NoTelePrompTer

She did not lie about Obama. You cannot give me one example of that. Unless you assume that Obama is the great truth teller. What a laugh that is. That man's life is a lie.

July 3, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. kishen c.rao

It is a big drama by sara palin....she quits, it is good for her and state...too....it is an eyewash....to get sympathy from public for next presidential election....people who are clever, know this...stuff...anyway i don't think she will win regardless of dramas played by her....

July 3, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. Al Bluengreenenbrownenburger

Well, she rarely attended that whole government thing anyway, so I guess the question is, will anyone miss her?

Is starting out this early for the 2012 even a good idea? While good ideas have never been Palin's strength, peaking too early and burning out potential voters is such an obvious risk that even Sarah should see it. It's right there, Sarah, next to Russia! You can see it from there!.

July 3, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  24. Ernestine

@NoTelePrompTer Wrote: July 3rd, 2009 5:58 pm ET

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Your the lunatic! Were not afraid of her by all means. She's just an idiot.

July 3, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  25. Darth Vadik, CA

NoTelePrompTer,

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Cmon you have to be an inside liberal joke.

Sarah Palin honest?

Why don't you just say a thundering silence,
    or a bright darkness,