July 3rd, 2009

Republicans react to Palin news

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican Governors Association released a statement Friday in response to the Palin announcement:

RGA Statement on Governor Palin’s Announcement

Republican Governors Association Executive Director Nick Ayers issued the following statement in regards to Sarah Palin’s announcement today that she will not seek reelection in 2010 and will step down from the governorship on July 25th.

“While we regret the news announced by Governor Palin today, Alaska will continue to have a Republican governor through 2010 and we are confident the state will elect a Republican in next year’s election.

The RGA’s focus remains firmly on the gubernatorial elections in New Jersey and Virginia this year, and the 37 gubernatorial elections that will take place in 2010. We know that winning these races is the most important task facing our Party over the next two years.”

Filed under: RGA • Sarah Palin
  1. Karol

Didn't Governor Palin make a commitment to her state when she became Governor? And now she's giving a three-week notice that she'll be stepping down? Talk about poor judgment!

I'm glad I'm not from Alaska – I'd be so ashamed.

July 3, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Emma

Sarah lacked power in her words of the speech. She rambled and did not support her thinking with good sense. None of her points proved powerful and connected with the rest of her speech. Why do people call her "charismatic?" She seems to have some raw intelligence but she does not use language in an educated way. Intelligence works well with charisma.

July 3, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. LacrosseMom

@ NoTelePrompTer who wrote:

July 3rd, 2009 6:08 pm ET
    She did not lie about Obama. You cannot give me one example of that. Unless you assume that Obama is the great truth teller. What a laugh that is. That man's life is a lie.
    ________________________________________________________

Please do give some examples of how Obama's life is a lie. We will be waiting to read your examples!

HERE IS THE .......LIE........ PALIN TOLD ABOUT OBAMA:

" HE PALED AROUND WITH TERRORISTS." NO HE DID NOT.

Ayers was not his PAL, nor was Ayers his best friend!

To insinuate that Obama is a "terrorist" because "he paled around with one" is like saying (excuse the yelling) THAT ALL CATHOLIC PRIESTS ARE PEDOPHILES BECAUSE ...... A FEW ARE!

July 3, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  4. Rob from MO

This women's life is one big soap opera. She needs to go away and allow the adults to make important decisions.

July 3, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. LouAz

Another member of the Flat Eart Party's Circular Firing Squad goes down. Good Shooting, Repubs !

July 3, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  6. Once You Vote Black

What a melt down! This women is a ding bat. And she bables like a crazy women. I cannot belive she brougt up MacAurther. Wow, the GOP is in full bloom!

July 3, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  7. Andi

Can we just cut out all this nonsense and get back to putting our nation back on its feet? It's going to take all of us. We don't have to agree with each other, or even like each other, but in order to survive, we all have to help.

July 3, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. Florida Joe

Sure jbird the word progress can be used as a verb such a "make progresss in" or "seek progress for" her state of Alaska, but it is incorrect and clumsy English to talk about 'progressing Alaska' And therein lies the problem. it is not that Palin's critics are afraid of her, We are not. It is that reasonably intelligent people like you will go to lengths to defend her obvious weaknesses, instead of acknowledging them and perhaps stressing her strengths.

Though obviously popular among some people Palin is obviously not qualified by any means to be on any national stage and the fact that smart people like you can't admit this...that is what is really scary for this country.

July 3, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. R Wolf

Can you tell me how our President's life is a lie? What an ignorant and malicious statement. Palin had no idea what she was talking about in the primaries, even McCain's top people are blasting her, but somehow you miss all her faults in order to make some insane comment about our President. Try and focus.

July 3, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. Red Meat Democrat

I'm neither pro nor anti Palin but something seems really strange about all this. I suspect there is some sort of scandal behind her resignation. We will probably be learning more soon.

July 3, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. Kenyan Wonder Kid

Sarah spoke more truth and common sense during the election than the whole lot of phony baloney pompous asses in Washington.

Just look at the bunch of arrogant circus clowns up there: Barbara "General, you will address me as SENATOR, not ma'am" Boxer; Harry "Keep those stinky citizens away from me" Reid; Chucky "Hey, nobody out there cares if we blow a few billion" Schumer; Nancy "CEOs will now drive to Washington, and by the way I want the biggest plane for myself" Pelosi; Barney "the brothel closes at 2 am" Frank; Chris "Gimme another sweetheart mortgage before I write up some more easy credit rules" Dodd; and Barry "I want to steal trillions from the working class and give it to the clueless" Obama.

July 3, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  12. Tony from Ocala Fl.

It was a poor choice by the McCain folks and a terrible choice by the people of Alaska, What will she do next, Take a job with AIG, Citicorp, or just go snoe-boarding with her tag along husband, you Betcha....

July 3, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. rick palmer

believing in smaller government ,maybe shes tryin to lead the republican party,, by setting a good example,maybe she'll follow michael jacksons lead and hire a private physician a perscription of rivitran.

July 3, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. Dominic

Ok, this is great! We get to watch this self absorb LOON keep talking with her, gosh, golly, also, you betcha, and all her other ignoarant talk. I am excited! Its fun watching a train wrecK!!!! Oh and congrats to Alaska, you finally got rid of her

July 3, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. Michael

@ MartinN, Plano:

You read my mind. I expect her to pop back up in about 2.5 yrs in a run for the White House. I think she's gearing up for it.

July 3, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  16. linda in AR

What will she name her show on Fox News at 5PM after she completes her book tour and fundy fund raising.?

kaChing

July 3, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  17. Frankie

I smell some sort of scandal. She is just getting out while she is ahead. I am still hoping though that she runs for president, as this would ensure Obama another term. I just do not understand how the far right thinks the rest of the country is afraid of her. She apparently cannot handle the pressures of being a governor, how in the heck does anyone think she can handle the pressures of being president. It was clear to a large marjority, she was out of her league in terms of the national scene. I can see Tina Fey working on a skit for yet more weird Palin rambling.

July 3, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  18. Yea right!!

Palin is quitting to make money first, then eye the senate and then look at 2012. She is only out for herself and really got full of herself during the campaign. She has sacrificed her family for fame & fortune & she knows it. I cannot & will not respect a person of her character, regardless of her political agenda. I am a democrat, but I truly respect Mr. McCain for some of his politics, but he made a mistake in bringing Ms. Palin to promenence. To all of you who argue about this country & Pres. Obama, shame on you because it has only been a few months and expectations are too high. Our country has been spiraling down for many years. It is going to take years to get back on track. One thing I can say about Pres. Obama is that he is attempting to do almost everything he campaigned for and we should try to work together to get through this mess.

July 3, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. Lynn

Maybe one morning she was in her backyard and saw Putin and now they are soulmates.

July 3, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. Amy

I've heard Republicans calling this a "brilliant" move. I wonder how the people of Alaska, who elected her to do a job, feel?

July 3, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  21. Remo

Finally, a moment of intelligence.

July 3, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. Samuel B.

@ NoTelePrompTer:

You clearly are "truth challenged" and wouldn't know the truth if it slapped you upside the head. Palin is incapable of making any honest, objective statement about President Obama aside from "he beat me and John McCain."

I could present many more untrue statements Palin has made about Obama, but I'd be wasting my time arguing with someone as intellectually vapid as you.

July 3, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  23. Michael

I'm watching her speech now. Did anyone else hear sheep bleating in the background? The irony and poetry are astounding!

July 3, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  24. Taru Manyanga

If there has been any self serving, fame loving individual it is this woman. I am amazed that English is her first language, because she does seem to say a lot but with very little if any meaning in her speech. Its laughable to think that if John Mcain had won, Sarah would have been the vice president of the greatest nation on earth. In all honest, it scary what I hust listened to. What the hell was she talking about.

July 3, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  25. Sherry

Sarah Palin, you have made a BIG mistake. Girl what are you thining of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 3, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |