July 4th, 2009

Alaska's soon-to-be governor praises Palin

(CNN) - Alaskan Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will succeed Gov. Sarah Palin after she leaves office later this month, called the governor Alaska's greatest gift to the United States on Saturday.

"I was very surprised at first," he said of Palin's decision to resign, which he said she told him Wednesday.

"But then as she began to explain why she was doing it, I began to see it was Sarah Palin, once again, moving to put Alaska's interest first," Parnell told CNN.

Palin, a Republican and John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year, said Friday she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month and would not run for a second gubernatorial term in 2010.

"People who know me know that besides faith and family, nothing's more important to me than our beloved Alaska," Palin said at a news conference at her home in Wasilla.

Palin added in a statement that she was "determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path."

"Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional 'lame duck' status in this particular climate would just be another dose of 'politics as usual,' something I campaigned against and will always oppose."

Alaska's senior U.S. senator, Lisa Murkowski, was one of the people unhappy with Palin's decision.

"I am deeply disappointed that the governor has decided to abandon the state and her constituents before her term has concluded," the Republican said via satellite phone from interior Alaska, her office said.

Parnell said he accepted that others might see the governor's resignation in a different light than he does.

"She's accomplished more in these two and a half years than most governors accomplish in one or two terms," he said. "Our governor has been a great governor. She is going to be Alaska's and is Alaska's greatest gift to our country."

The soon-to-be governor said he intended to lead the state, to make sure people have jobs and that the state's finances are stable.

"Those are the things I'm going to be dealing with," he said. He will be sworn in on July 26.

Asked whether he planned on completing the term, he said "yes."

"But I am also conscious that we don't control life, so I may be dead tomorrow, and I'm not going to commit beyond that," he said, smiling.

Parnell said he planned to run for a full gubernatorial term in 2010.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. johnrj08

Sarah Palin decided several months ago not to seek re-election as governor of Alaska, choosing to make herself a "lame duck". Then, yesterday, she decided that all lame duck office holders do is go on junkets and spend tax-payer money frivolously, and she wasn't about to let that happen in her great state, so she quit her job. This is the logic of a monumental idiot. In Palin's deluded mind, she somehow convinced herself that she would then be perceived as an honest, and dedicated servant of the people of her state. The idea that she thinks voters are gullible and ignorant enough to buy into this reasoning is breath-taking. A lot of people are saying that Palin quit because something bad is going to come out about her and that she was forced out. I don't believe that one bit. This decision is completely consistent with Sarah Palin's mentality, and announcing it during the Michael Jackson fiasco, right before a long holiday weekend was a calculated move on her part. The bottom line is that she is too stupid to realize that quitting her job and walking away from her responsibilities as governor will not be so quickly forgotten by voters as she thinks.

July 4, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Matt

Hopefully Palin can continue to pull the religious right in. Further decimating the Republican base. There is no way a credible Republican could vote for someone so erratic.

July 4, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Perusing-Through

Sarah Palin has been an embarrassment to:
    1.) – Christians,
    2.) – Intelligent Women on the Planet,
    3.) – Focus on the Family organization,
    4.) – Family Research Council organization,
    5.) – The true Conservative movement,
    6.) – Republican Party,
    7.) – Right wing Cable, TV, Radio, and Newspaper pundits
    8.) – Alaskan People.

July 4, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. Dem

Who advises this woman?

July 4, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. Gioziggy

Some people are just so ignorant! She isn't a quitter. Did you know she already has accomplished all she set up to do as a Governor in only 2 years? If the media and those stupid complaints won't let her do her job, then she may as well leave. She also was the Governor with the highest approval ratings. I'm sure Alaskans understand.
    To Sen. Murkowski: you're just afraid, jealous of Sarah.
    Go Sarah, you got my vote for anything you run!!!!!!

July 4, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. Kris in Denver

Sarah certainly has been, and no doubt will continue to be, a great gift – the gift of laughter.

July 4, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. Mike

Sarah Palin has left the state of Alaska at a time when leadership is most needed. What would she do if she were president? She can't take the heat so she's leaving the kitchen. She is not presidential material. I believe she has a lot of debt and now sees the opprtunity to make a lot of money on speaking engagements and book. From that aspect it's a smart move. She found out the hard way that when you're in the spotlight, everything is exposed, such as her spending habits. Now she needs to "bail herself out". She may have the values that core repiblicans like. The problem is she isn't bright enough to caryy the torch. She's like some albums: a great lookin cover but the music isn't very good.

July 4, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Don

It's about time this dim wit got out of office.
    If she thinks she can now spend more time learning all there is to know to enable her to run for president she is sadly mistaken.
    I have voted republican for almost all my voting years (exception is Mc Cain and the Pain) and I would not vote for her ever.
    In fact I would go out of my way to ensure she would not be elected by joining whomever is going against her.
    She is one big loser and now a quitter on top of it.

July 4, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. J_S_U_TIGER99

Did anyone get the speech that she gave? I was likewhat is she talking, I guess her speech writer was out on vacation becase that speech was jack-up and she know it was I hope she do not run in 2012

July 4, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  10. Perusing-Through

WHY CAN'T LIMBAUGH DITTOHEADS SEE THIS? ? ? I watched a recording of the speech in its entirety. I was stunned at the child-like level of the speech. The speech sound like something put together by an 8th grader. And to think she wants to be among the leaders of the free world. GOD Forbid!!!

July 4, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. jen

she's just mad that Michael Jackson was getting all the attenion so she had to do something to get herself back in the new yet AGAIN.

July 4, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. DavidinCA

With the continuing failing results of the current administration's philosophies about how to fix or even run the economy, it is clear that Republicans have an excellent opportunity coming up in 2012. I look forward to Sarah Palin coming in with her determination and clear ideas about what the real role of government should be in America. It will be refreshing after this brief, wrongly guided decent to socialism.

July 4, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Clint, in Lynnwood Wa.

Will the real DIVA please step forward.

July 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Christopher

Gosh darn it!

I betcha if Palin didn't get all those uppity liberal media questions then for sure she woulda stayed in office.

For sure I just love to watch these "folks" self-destruct.

July 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. Trevor

Its about time. We can only we hope we never hear from her again.

July 4, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. Rob

Parnell just got promoted to a real job and a real political future thanks to Sarah Palin and her bold faced ambition. No surprise that he has praises for her, which can be translated into "Thanks for gettin' outa my way, lady!"

July 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Sue/Ohio

Palin will probably end up on Fox News along with all the other ignorant hosts. But first, she will have to travel the country hawking her book. Good luck with that. The bargain bin awaits.

July 4, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. Mike

To sue from Arizona who asked "what have we done for our country lately?" Well. we din't quit on it like Sarah quit on Alaska. And to all those who admmire her and think she would be a president I would ask "What solutions does she have to fix the economy? What solutions does she have in dealing with Iran, or Iraq, or North Korea?" She has never once had an original thought that someone else hadn't suggested. And when she did, it was so rediculous that it wasn't even worth discussing. I can only hope for the sake of America that the only way she sees the inside of the White House is if she takes a tour.

July 4, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. Nick San Diego

Just shut up and go away. Take Chaney with you. PLEASE

July 4, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. RB

I personally think Palin should never have been picked by Mc Cain but she has Rock Star Status in the Party and this will in no doubt increase exponentially now. Palin tells it like it is, has courage plus she has accomplished a lot in the short time as Governor of Alaska.…..
    Also, I think she just Jap Slapped every politician in America. She basically said I’m Better than you, I don’t need Power and I’m not a Slimy Slacker looking for a free ride in a do nothing job in Government, I stand heads above you. I have Character and Integrity which most people can’t even define. Basically She has broken a mold, just earned the respect of a lot more Americans taking this position. She just resonated I’m for you America, I’ll get the job done for you America and you can Trust me. She has now become an Unstoppable Political Juggernaut and if she runs in 2012 Obama will be steamed rolled. She might be on the verge of becoming the next Regan……..

July 4, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. Leah

I will miss her dearly
    Without Sarah Palin, SNL would never be the same.
    Please come back soon!
    @ Scott Tucson
    You may ended up with Obama for the next 8 years. Take my advice, move to a different country.

July 4, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. Randy

To the idiot who says " Sarah Palin takes care of Sarah Palin" don't we all take care of ourselves. The only time I have ever witnessed otherwise is a brave man or woman in the military. In ordinary daily life we all look out for.....you guessed it....OURSELVES. As for her abandoning the people who elected her...what about all the other Govs..Sen...Reps...who resigned to take a job with Obama. They abandoned their duly elected job correct??? Get a life people. Clinton did not go off to a greater good for New York and the country...she went off for herself. I have only known of one Mother Teresa. The rest of us are far too human to be that good....and that includes all of your Republicans and Democrats.

July 4, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. John

independent July 4th, 2009 11:58 am ET

First, excuse me while I gag.

Second, what planet are these people from? Is he joking?

carol July 4th, 2009 11:04 am ET

Alaska's greatest gift????? If Parnell believes that he is more delusional than Palin. She is entertainment, nothing of substance.

I agree wholeheartedly. If Parnell really believes that he is even more off his rocker than Palin. Anyone who would state what he just said is a total moron. This woman has done absolutely nothing for the state of Alaska except when it benefited her. Sarah Palin has been caught in so many lies , the snow in Alaska's winter couldn't cover them all. Give me a frigging break. These people re so out of touch with reality its unbelievable.

July 4, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  24. mike kaplan

Palin is a quitter, a crybaby who can dish it out but can't take it. And sorry, Robin- she's not a "good woman" – she's a hate-spewing ignoramus who said, repeatedly, that those of us who disagree with her backwards brand of politics are "traitors" who "hate America". She divided us between "real Americans" (read:people ho think like she does) and the rest of us. She was and is a terrible mother, who paraded her pregnant daughter onstage instead of protecting her privacy. She showed that she knows NOTHING about ANYTHING, and acted like the idea of answering journalists questions was some kind of crazy liberal trick. GOOD RIDDANCE! BuhBYE, Sarah.

July 4, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. mike kaplan

Once again, Palin is a quitter, a crybaby who can dish it out but can't take it. And sorry, Robin- she's not a "good woman" – she's a hate-spewing ignoramus who said, repeatedly, that those of us who disagree with her backwards brand of politics are "traitors" who "hate America". She divided us between "real Americans" (read:people ho think like she does) and the rest of us. She was and is a terrible mother, who paraded her pregnant daughter onstage instead of protecting her privacy. She showed that she knows NOTHING about ANYTHING, and acted like the idea of answering journalists questions was some kind of crazy liberal trick. GOOD RIDDANCE!

July 4, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |