July 4th, 2009

Alaska's soon-to-be governor praises Palin

(CNN) - Alaskan Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will succeed Gov. Sarah Palin after she leaves office later this month, called the governor Alaska's greatest gift to the United States on Saturday.

"I was very surprised at first," he said of Palin's decision to resign, which he said she told him Wednesday.

"But then as she began to explain why she was doing it, I began to see it was Sarah Palin, once again, moving to put Alaska's interest first," Parnell told CNN.

Palin, a Republican and John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year, said Friday she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month and would not run for a second gubernatorial term in 2010.

"People who know me know that besides faith and family, nothing's more important to me than our beloved Alaska," Palin said at a news conference at her home in Wasilla.

Palin added in a statement that she was "determined to take the right path for Alaska even though it is not the easiest path."

"Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional 'lame duck' status in this particular climate would just be another dose of 'politics as usual,' something I campaigned against and will always oppose."

Alaska's senior U.S. senator, Lisa Murkowski, was one of the people unhappy with Palin's decision.

"I am deeply disappointed that the governor has decided to abandon the state and her constituents before her term has concluded," the Republican said via satellite phone from interior Alaska, her office said.

Parnell said he accepted that others might see the governor's resignation in a different light than he does.

"She's accomplished more in these two and a half years than most governors accomplish in one or two terms," he said. "Our governor has been a great governor. She is going to be Alaska's and is Alaska's greatest gift to our country."

The soon-to-be governor said he intended to lead the state, to make sure people have jobs and that the state's finances are stable.

"Those are the things I'm going to be dealing with," he said. He will be sworn in on July 26.

Asked whether he planned on completing the term, he said "yes."

"But I am also conscious that we don't control life, so I may be dead tomorrow, and I'm not going to commit beyond that," he said, smiling.

Parnell said he planned to run for a full gubernatorial term in 2010.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. chuck

I knew was a lost cause from her first debate with Joe Biden, oh golly oh shucks, can I call ya Joey. She was trying to act cutesy when people were losing there jobs, houses, cars etc. She lost the election right then and there.

July 4, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  2. florence

Does anyone remember the movie "Being There" with Chauncey Gardner played by Peter Sellers? This woman, Sara, reminds me of him. I never understand what she is saying but Ikeep hearing some refer to her as the best thing since sliced bread. What's up with that? Am I missing something?

July 4, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. carlos

someone opened the swamp's doors and they came spewing their repugnant reptile hatred for a meager below the minimum wage hand out......they should go back hisssssssiiiiiinnnnnnggggg all the way to the swamplands.......

July 4, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. Smart People

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Now we can be sure that she will NEVER make it to the presidency. It was a very slim chance to being with since she has a very select group of psychos following her; but now there's no chance!!! HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!

July 4, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. Bob from VA

I can hear her presidential campaign promise now – 'If I am elected and realize a couple of years in that I have no idea what I am doing, I'll quit!"

July 4, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. magella

For more Palin fun, look at her official website and try to make sense of her rambling, incoherent message. I do not understand how anyone can claim she "tells it like it is" or is "plain spoken." I can hardly make out a single logical thought in anything she says.

July 4, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. steve peterson

Sarah Palin is what all elected officials were intended to be. It was the original intent to elect citizens from the business world to serve their states and their country for a short period of time. this past century has created the "Career politician" She has served and is now going back to
    the business world and if she makes a lot of money in the business world
    well excuse me is that not the goal of business? I would much rather have people in politics like Sarah Palin than the bunch of MONEY SUCKING form the citizens pockets croonies we have governing us now!
    Most of those in politics have forgotten who they really serve.. looks like they are serving themselves.

July 4, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  8. Sam I Am

The reactionary religious right will never abandon Palin. She has proven herself to be unpredictable and incapable of leading, but these people will never abandon her. That's fine. Unfortunately for her, this "base" is a very small minority. It is not enough to get her elected as president. Not even close. The more moderate Republicans who might have voted for her in a primary are now not going to back her because of her quitting her responsibilities to the state of Alaska. Sarah may remain in the spotlight for a while, but her political career is over.

July 4, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. mlm

Well, at least she can't be president now.
    Who wants to vote for someone who can't even finish a 4 year term without giving up? If she couldn't last four years as a governor how can she hope to last five minutes as a president? IF I was running against her I'ld just keep saying, "you couldn't make it 4 years as governor of a small state, how can you possible be president of a large nation?

start covering the hole, the last nail has been set.

July 4, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Terry from Texas

Voters – especially Conservative voters – take note: Sarah Palin takes care of Sarah Palin. Being governor of the most backwater state in the US does not give her enough exposure and enough time on camera. A book deal is coming. A foundation will be funded to support her travel and wardrobe expenses while she supports her favorite Conservative causes, which are:
    1. Sarah Palin
    2. Sarah Palin's status
    3. Sarah Palin's future

Let's hear it for Sarah Palin!

July 4, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. Ron

Being elected to office is a mandate by the people. To drop out of office shows a disregard for the entire democratic process and the people who elected her.

July 4, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. jim

praise is expected. it would be rude not to offer up praise. even if that praise is not deserved

July 4, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. independent

First, excuse me while I gag.

Second, what planet are these people from? Is he joking?

Perhaps it is the effects of euphoria as he is about to receive on a silver platter what he might not have been able to win in an election.

July 4, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Nothing 'Stand Up' about Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)

Clearly the single best executive decision Palin could have made as governor of Alaska, as the best thing for Alaskans is for her to stop leading them. Logical enough. And with flawless executive leadership like that, she's sure to become the Republican Party's next presidential nominee. Palin for President of Us All 2012!

July 4, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Sam I Am

Nervous breakdowns due to pressures of the job and life are common. A nervous breakdown doesn't always look like someone in a padded cell, screaming and ranting and crying. Sometimes a nervous breakdown looks a lot like a press conference, called with no warning, in which a long, disjointed, and rambling speech is given. We just saw that. Good luck, Sarah. Go get counselling before you lose it completely.

July 4, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Sarah Palin's 15 seconds of fame are long, LONG past. She just needs to go away. She doesn't represent the treu Republican party's view- she appears spitefull, devisive and vindictive. Not a way to get elected IMO.

July 4, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Bill

Governor Palin will be off writing a book deal to make millions of dollars. Maybe Joe the plumber will be the co-author now we all no that will be a best seller right?

I am sure she will be in more places than before, Maybe the Governor Sandford should take a lesson from her and step down too?

July 4, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. Michael

If Obama and the other democrat's would lead by Palin's example, America would be a much better and safer place. After all, Obama stated that he had been to the 57 states! What a MORON, but then what democrat isn't

July 4, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Brian

If Sarah Palin is "Alaska's greatest gift to the US" I certainly hope that they saved the receipt.

July 4, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. Joe Terrogano

There is a rumor that oxygen tanks are being delivered to all Republican apologists, because they have so much to try and rationalize. This and Joe the Plumber were the great Republican strategies to counter Barrack Obama's brilliant campaign. Both were major errors in judgment! Both were lacking in any real credibility. She put her own foot in her mouth many times. She made statementsc that may play to "the base", but turned off rational Americans (Obama is a domestic terrorist). She placed her pregnant daughter on stage instead of shielding her from scrutiny. So, please stop with the victim passion play. She was never ready for prime time and this is just another indication of that. If anyone victimized her is was John McCain and the Republican Party for using her.

July 4, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. Jason B.

He does realize that he can take his lips off her rear...right? I mean, I can understand thanking her for her service, etc., but he's really taking his "love and devotion" way too far. If she was that dedicated to Alaska she'd finish out her term.

July 4, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. Teena

Thank you Ms. Palin for setting back the aspirations of female politicians–we will have to work hard NOT to be labeled as QUITTERS!
    Yo u have just given the Good Ole Boy club a huge influx of ammunition .

July 4, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. Liberal4Obama

GOP = The Party of Loosers and Quitters

July 4, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  24. KK

Go Palin! Looks like President Obama will be in office an extra 4 years.

July 4, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. Ron

hum, let me get this in order, the hockey mom, a wild west gunslinger and now a basketball player. (split personalities) It has been awhile and we all new she would be getting herself on the front pages eventually. Did she not learn in her early school years that if you ignore kids they they will go away, react and they will continue. Maybe Sara can get a reality show? She would love that as she will get her attention if like anyone would watch.

July 4, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |