July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. A Real American

Poor Sarah. Always the victim.

Kind of like the modern Republican Party.

Everything that they break or make go wrong, it's either God's will or some other guy's fault.

July 4, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  2. Diane, NJ

This woman is such a joke..........

July 4, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Malcolm

double standard my butt. Being a moron yes but besides that she guilty of being part of a party that promotes bigotry, racism and is so out of time with the rest of world. She's smart now maybe taking care of her family will be the best for America and the world, we won't have to see her face and hear her study little crying words anymore.

July 4, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Tom

You're so misunderstood, Sarah...

July 4, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Hopeful in America

Now she is a victim? She played the victimizer when she was stirring hate during the campaign. That act didn't work too well. Now we get Act II.

July 4, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  6. Jeffrey Amelse

This woman is out of her mind. To tink that there are those who would have put her a heart beat away from being president shows how many other people are out of their minds in this country.

July 4, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. phil s.

If you ever come back to public office, remember this day..remember your words. Good riddance

July 4, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  8. Henry

It seems rather unusal to 'resign' as first term Governor than expect people to understand. Even your GOP folks are puzzled. You make it worse when you again resort to blame others and claim you're a victim.
    Give it a rest, the more you say, the worst you make it.
    Take care of your family, they need you, we don't.

July 4, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  9. mochipug

Of course no one understands, you're a nitwit!

July 4, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. Neil Med Student

Wow.....that sounds like something a 5th grader would write. Just terrible grammar.

I'm actually quite shocked, but not too surprised.

July 4, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  11. John

So long....good riddance you quiter.....just do the country a favor and don't ever come back

July 4, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |