July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. The Unshrub

The only way she can keep many of those who support her interested is to blame all of her stupidity on the press. That way when she continues to be as dumb and a pile of rocks she can blame the press and those who are just as dumb as her will beleive it.

July 4, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  2. Jeff Brown

Said with class, demonstrates character, directly and appropriately calls out shallow, know-it-all media and closes with the basis to challenge what the demoncrats and its current almighty leader have done to move this fine country towards periless ruin. Bless this true leader.

Oh...and just imagine how unamerican and racial the media would be if they ever directed the same careless, derogatory and demeaning comments at Sara Palin towards the now President. It's time to erase the double standard, guys and gals.

July 4, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  3. jack

A big 4th of July salute to all veterans and those currently serving. A tip of the hat to Sarah Palin for coming to her senses and making the right decision to get out of politics. This was clearly someone who had no business on the national stage. Maybe now she can devote some time to read the major publications of our time that inform most Americans about the country we live in. Her answer to Katie Couric should have been, Newsweek, Time, US News & World Report, New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times, just to name a few she could have said. Good reading Sarah and please stay out of politics, your in way over your head.

July 4, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  4. John

Oh, brother. She's so irrelevant.

July 4, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  5. Mikchael Hodge

I'm sure Palin's decision was based on a message she received
    from God.

July 4, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  6. Richie

We'll never understand because she can't speak a single coherent sentence to explain.

July 4, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. Jeff

d.e.l.u.s.i.o.n.a.l.

July 4, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. JO

She is as loony as cootie. Just because you conjure up lot of unbelievable B.S around why you are quitting your job, Sarah, does not mean that the public is so stupid that they will begin to believe your paranoid projections about the media. The media did not create the corner that you painted yourself into. They are just reporting on your behavior, which is their job . Thankfully they are not quitters.

July 4, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. Jill B.

So basically what she's saying is that her feelings are hurt over the media coverage? What did she expect? ANY candidate for office will suffer through good and bad media, it's part of the job. She handed the media her dirty laundry on a silver platter. She should have, with respect to the people of America, declined the vice presidential nomination in light of the real issues surrounding her.

Maybe she should rise above it? Prove to the American people that she is better than what is written about her? Or, continue to use the media as a scapegoat for her own inadequacies.

July 4, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. rick

the woman is a moron. she quit when she knew there was nobody there to comment on it. something fishy is going on.

July 4, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  11. jigjog

i like to employ Sarah in my company called Harem Inc.

July 4, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Zago

I bet the media did not really understand her move. He went to 10 different community colleges for her bachelors. She never finished anything straight. Don't get her wrong. She might come back asking for another 18 month term of governor of Alaska may be as independent or democrat. Or she might simply decide to go back to school. This would have been the higher calling. She will then be able to put her thoughts together. Trust me!

July 4, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  13. Stephanie

1. Palin did not write this; probably edited the ghost writer for her book

2. What has Palin to say about her engagment of personal destruction throughtout her unsuccessful campaign for VP?

3. Who are these "countless others she writes about and what exactly is her "higher calling"?

Palin can not see the world though anyone else's eyes nor from another person's view. She really wants to be judged "by a different standard"....don't do onto me as I do onto others.

July 4, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. The Bu

What is Gov. Palin talking about? She likes media attention, but then when people point out the obvious (wrong backdrops for interviews, her lack of knowledge on the issues, etc.) then she complains. She can't have her "media" cake AND eat it too. It doesn't go both ways. You gotta take the good with the bad.

July 4, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  15. drbenk

She is a pinhead.

July 4, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. Alex

being a governor was holding her back. she'll make way more money, and have a better shot at the white house, out of office. speaking arrangements, book deals, the works.

July 4, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. M from Colorado

Of course the media will not understand, because the only explanation is self aggrandizement. You got a taste of being on the national stage, and baby, you want more attention. This is not about what is best the the US, or Alaska for that matter. It is all about you and how much more attention you can get. In one of your speeches, you said you were not a quitter...uh, I think the people of Alaska elected you to a four-year term, and you did not complete your commitment to them. How's that for being a quitter?

July 4, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  18. Bill Sampson

Oh boy, the whole world is against poor Sarah Palin. Right. Now who are the few dim wits falling for this 'me against the world' act?

She resigned for two reasons.

1. Her popularity is falling in Alaska. That is because oil remains below $100 a barrel and her only talent as an administrator was sending out windfall checks to constituents. She can't announce her candidacy for the Republican nomination with a popularity at sub 50% as governor. That is a non-starter and she knows it.

2. Over the next 12-18 months, before becoming a presidential candidate, if that is what she decides to do, she has the opportunity (heaven knows why) to pocket at least several million in speaking fees. She can't feasibly do this as governor of Alaska, and she is NOT going to let this gravy train pass by.

No Alaska, this "difficult decision" had nothing to do with you. It had everything to do with Sarah. Nothing new there. Just be grateful she is going. But it sucks that she will apparently spend most of her time down her with us. Again.

July 4, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. mBW

Poor Sarah Palin. The media only criticizes her and leaves other politicians alone. Boo hoo.

Hate to break it to you, Palin, but if you run for pres, it will only get worse.

July 4, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  20. R Wolf

There is nothing positive Palin can do for this Country other than leaving it. She whines when she's criticized, but drops lies and innuendo without a second glance. Her narrow minded views do not speak to the majority of Americans and her family values are the holier than thou rantings so many right wing zealots spew but can't follow.

July 4, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  21. AJ`

HAHAH...I cant help but laugh at her...hahaha....she really is the crazy lady.... someone/group is paying her buckets of money to quit her job ....again all being launched and supported by a pile of money instead of hard work and originality,we have a cash driven loud mouth quitter who wants more attention and wont shutup. What a waste of effort in all aspects. ... a sad situation if she gets anywhere this time....she will only last as long as the money, I'm sure she will bring more political comedy to this tour and bring herself down..

July 4, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. mary

Dimwit said:

Would she be talking about Obama? We know how much she hates him!

July 4, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  23. observer

She's correct! The media in this country is sick and out of control! Witness the Jackson 24/7 circus ! Good grief what overdone fiasco!!

July 4, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  24. A little sad

I guess she considers every person who runs for the last term of a term-limited office to be a "lame duck" just "milking" it.

I know we have not heard the last from this person, and she will always cast herself as the wronged martyr.

If she can talk herself into this, so be it. But I would have to ask any candidate who she tries to raise money for if they intend on staying in the job and serving the people they would be elected to serve, or if they are just lokkin for a line on a resume and will walk if they find a more interesting offer.

July 4, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  25. Jim in Indinana

Conservatives are circling the wagons around another loser. How cool is that.

July 4, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |