July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Sharon - NC

I really don't think the mainstream media really gives a poop.

July 4, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. DT

Will this woman ever quit whining about how unfaaaiiirrr it all is? Call me a waaaambulance!!

Every bit of damage she is complaining about is self-inflicted. Please, Sarah Palin - go away.

July 4, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  3. BKMC

No comment

July 4, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  4. Paul

This message–and her rambling speech yesterday–might make a lot more sense if she let us know what this mysterious 'higher calling' is. Because right now she just sounds kind of weird.

July 4, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  5. justsane

"I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change." she explained nothing. as usual, she was vague and rambling. if she wants to quit the job she was elected to do, that's her choice. however, she can't really expect that this is the way to boost her chances at national office, can she? we don't generally promote people who quit at the lower level...unless of course they've been elected to a higher office. and of course, we know that she wasn't.

July 4, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  6. Rowland P

No question about. Palin has, from day one, be the target of a vicious smear campaign orchestarted by the media. It's so obvious that she is the victim of a double standard, that anyone denying it simply looks stupid. It's like arguing the sky isn't blue.

July 4, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  7. Jeff M.

She's not a victim of a double standard; she's a victim to her own stupidity.

July 4, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. Kahuna

Jeez, will this women ever stop whining? She accepted the nomination for VP without ever considering that she might not be up to the task. She had no knowledge of national issues. No concept of what the "Bush Doctrine" was. Unable to answer the simplest of questions from a softball jounalist like Couric. But she still says the media did her in.

Please Palin, just shut up.

July 4, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  9. lieNoMore

Please Palin just go away. You are a pathetic pinhead.

The era of the highly unqualified is over. Palin, George W., and Reagan are relics of the braindead period in our national politics. Both parties can do better than this bunch stumps.

July 4, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. jazz

We do not need someone who is always playing the victim serving anywhere in our government at any time. Sarah Palin never takes responsibility or accountability for her decisions. When anyone makes a decision such as this and doesn't say why she is making it, everyone speculates. She clearly doesn't understand the ramifications of her decisions.

July 4, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. Barbara Coleman, Washington, DCe

This woman, who purportedly was into sports, and certainly is into hunting, is such a sore loser.

Frankly, I am certain Alaska is delighted she is moving on to whatever her "higher calling" may be. Does anyone really care?

July 4, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  12. paul

This woman is clearly delusional. Her speech was rambling and disjointed. She has not been treated and differently than any other public official who acts oddly in public. Palin did this to herself, and trotting out the old "poor pitiful me" routine is getting old.

July 4, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Linda

Hey Sarah, what will you say when your words come back to bite you? I cannot see how raising money for Republicans on the rubber chicken circuit, writing a book with a ghostwriter for big bucks, and making money off of your own "guest appearances" is in any way doing anything positive for our country. For you and your bank account, yes. For the rest of us, a big fat no! Please – just go away!!! You do know that since you have a journalism degree and once upon a time aspired to be one you're a hypocrite, right?

July 4, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  14. Michigan

She will never "get it"....she is a classic Peter's Principle person...she needs to take a look into the mirrow not her window.

July 4, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  15. Terry

Oh boo-freaking-hoo. Someone said something mean about me!
    What a drama queen. Grow UP, Palin. You're way too old to be carrying on like a high school prom queen who got "dissed".

July 4, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  16. Steve

Pundits who ridicule this woman are playing into her hands. Her supporters are so hostile to the "liberal media" (as if anything controlled by a handful of major corporations could truly be called "liberal") that any attack on her as seen as a badge of honor.

Palin may be ignorant and hateful, but she's also cunning. We underestimate her at our peril.

July 4, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  17. Thomas Barnett

I expect, after Palin giving her reasons for stepping down as governor of Alaska, the Democrats will be jumbing with joy and the Republicans will be saying to themselves "you got to be kidding!"

If Sarah Palin can't complete her term of governer of Alaska, a very sparcely populated state, how in the world will she ever be able to lead the United States, if that is her real intent. I believe there is one thing the voters of this nation disapprove of is a quiter, for any reason.
    Finish the job, do what you have been elected to do then move on!

July 4, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  18. Los Angeles

sarah sarah sarah......always playing the victim..........

July 4, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  19. Michigan

She will never "get it"....she is a classic Peter's Principle person...she needs to take a look into the mirror not through a window.

July 4, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  20. Ollie

If I lived in Alaska I'd be thrilled that she is quitting.

But why doesn't she say what this "higher calling" is?

July 4, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  21. Chauncy Gardner

Yes, she is right that she was treated to a double standard: Stupid politicians have always been subjected to more ridicule and derision than smart ones.

July 4, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  22. Harry

Sarah Palin quit halfway through her term, so that she could run for President using the following slogans:

"Vote for Palin. I will quit halfway through my first term"

"Vote for Palin. When the going gets tough.... quit".

"Vote for Palin. If life gives you lemons..... quit".

July 4, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  23. Luigi

Please, go away. Poor me, everyone is against me. You know who I feel sorry for more than her: the jerks that thinks she has something to offer.

July 4, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  24. Debbie

She needs to stop playing the victim.

July 4, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. George

What a complete and total idiot. We're to believe that it's honorable to ditch the citizens of your state during the worst economy in modern history?

The ONLY double-standard in the media is that Palin wasn't called out for the charlatan she is from the second she stepped out on the stage with McCain.

I'm afraid the only people who "don't get it" is Miss Alaska herself and her ignorant followers.

July 4, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |