July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Stevie

She's a crackpot. Wait. That's crack and pot in the same word.

July 4, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. Joe the Plumber

In essence, Palin is a liability to Alaska............lol.................

July 4, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  3. themoi

"Not to be outdone in the spotlight by the death of Michael Jackson, Sarah Palin resigns from the governourship of Alaska just to prove she can still make the news".

Or is she leaving because she's tired of seeing Russia from her house? Or did she decide to get out of the kitchen because she could no longer stand the heat?

Can we look forward to that appearance on Jerry Springer now with her highly dysfunctional family in tow?

July 4, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  4. Seriously?

Always a victim, huh Sarah. I'm sure the residents of the great state of Alaska are just thrilled that you believe that they are not worthy of your talents as you pursue a "higher calling". Good luck with that. You are certainly going to need it.

July 4, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Bill/CA

No double standard, Sarah. You wanted to run for the second highest office in the country, but were unable to prove you were qualified, likely because you weren't. You brought the media attention on yourself, and really can't blame them for exposing your own faults and lack of qualifications for public office. Those would be your faults, not their's.

July 4, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. texassam

The Diva of the Higher Calling" has spoken.......again!
    I am looking forward to her furthur spinning that will weave a web of her being the highest of highest....and quit when the tough gets going!.....this is not high school!....she should never be allowed to be president of the U.S!......ewwhhh!....scarey thought!

July 4, 2009 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. Jane

Governor Palin:

It's not just the media that doesn't understand you, I don't understand you either & I am not affiliated with either party. It was your scary speech at the RNC Convention that swung my vote from undecided to vote democratic. That was before all the strange behavior I've witnessed from you. I think you should really turn the mirror around and take a good look within & not blame everything or everyone else.

July 4, 2009 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Susan in NC

Yes, Sarah, for some reason a different standard JUST applies to decisions YOU make. No one else, just you. It's ALL about you. And, since you are clearly bound and determined to be the victim of something...ANYTHING, I'm sure you'll still be whining out of office, too. Poor, poor Sarah.

Won't this woman PULEASE just GO AWAY?

July 4, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  9. Joseph

Palin has shown herself to be a self-serving lightweight who panders and whines. Dan Quayle must be dreaming of a Palin presidential candidacy – he will look absolutely brilliant by comparison. Even McCain himself intentionally declined to name her as a future party leader. People doubted George W. Bush's capabilities, and Palin is nowhere close to Mr. Bush's level of ability. We can do much better (and we already have).

July 4, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  10. Steph I. From Boston

There is absolutely NOTHING she can do but stay up in Alaska and be a mother to her kids and go Ice fishing; here in the lower 48 ( only speaking for myself) She was lame from the beginning and still is
    the media has given us this fodder ;which, I won't bite at let it go and let go of her rope so she can drown........
    in a sea of RNC crap she should have not been picked... what a lame excuse..
    oh and for all of you trash talkers
    My father fought from '41 until '65 how many of you so called conservatives can say that?
    it seems all of those who want war or invasion have no sons to send off or are to old to serve
    be real we do not need more invasions or wars we need to be vigilant in Peace as in War.. or invasions////\\\\\

July 4, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  11. Toby

God Bless you Sarah in all that you do. The MEDIA has always been unfair to you and other Women in the Political Arena, but more so to you. I wish the very best for you.

July 4, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  12. Greg Lindamood

Add another nickname to Palin's resume-quitter. She refers to several others that have left office early for a "higher calling" but I cannot name any that did not name that higher calling. Honestly I cannot name any that did not have to do with a scandal or presidential bid. Obviously paranoid she is just making excuses. I will bet a paycheck that she is in to something better for her not her people. Ironically her excuse that she never wants to be a lame duck shows her true nature. If she were in Va she would never have been governor because it is only one term-essentially they are lame ducks when they come in. Also any office-even president has a term limit so at some point she would be a lame duck no matter what. Wouls she quit then? No, not wanting to be a lame duck means that the only toffice she wants is dictator. Fortunately the only office she can hold that supports that personality is "Man of the house"

July 4, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  13. FORMER republican, NEVER again!

She is an accomplished clueless pathological liar. It's called Karma, what you put out returns to you ten fold. All those lies and negativity you put out about now President Obama is coming back to you. It's no more or less than what you deserve. You are an evil woman who doesnt know what the term Christiam means. I think it ironic how she says she is so pro life yet will slaughter animals for the hunt. Go figure? She;'s a typical hypocritical republican.

July 4, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  14. hari Srinivasan

she is running away from the issues.

July 4, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  15. Tom Shepherd

Please Mrs. Palin. I have never seen a politician that has thrust herself and her family so aggressively into the national media. She complains that her family is not protected from the media, but at every opportunity , at every press conference and photo op, she is always flanked by her children.Thats the double standard.
    I

July 4, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  16. Dude

There is a problem with her weak rationalization, she hasn't been elected to a higher office. She is quitting, plain and simple. Her actions have defined her, and this situation is no different. The problem is that she does not take ownership for her actions. Instead she cries, 'media bias,' in an effort to draw attention away from herself. Personally, I hope that she does run for president. I need some good laughs.

July 4, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  17. Edward

She has a very poor ability to communicate her intentions. One wonders why she has no adviser who can help her sharpen her skills. Near the end of this message, she says "I hope you will join me", but one is left confused about what one is joining.....

I mean, it can't be the GOP, since her departure from the governorship doesn't help the party at all. Maybe she is thinking about setting up a socially conservative, but economically libertarian party that has a more middle class than corporate philosophy.....

July 4, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  18. Earl

The media does understand its duty to expose narcisscistic, phony rabble-rousers like Palin - they really do.

July 4, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  19. Ray

She is SUCH the professional victim. The sad part is that I don't think it's spin, I think she REALLY believes she's a martyr.

July 4, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  20. Mort Snurd

The media gets it. The public gets it. Sarah is a failed huckster. She is goofy and dishonest. She doesn't know anything about anything. We get it.

July 4, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  21. Nadeem Siddiqui

I am pleased that she is now gone and hope she does not make another unsuccessful attempt in national politics. As a politician, she created more heat than light. I wish her a comfortable retirement.

July 4, 2009 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  22. Seth Hill

It makes me sad that conservatives continually berate "the mainstream media" for "misrepresenting" them. Folks, the truth is that the people who work in "the media" are so desperate to fill the time, they report whatever stories they can find. If Governor Palin announces she is resigning, they rush to report that. If some conservatives rush to support her, the media reports that. If some liberals rush to mock her, the media reports that.

Separate from reporting, the media also editorializes, and they are careful to separate that from reporting. But when it comes to editorials and commentary, "the media" is strongly and broadly conservative ... just look at Rush Limbaugh and the entire Fox "News" Channel! As a liberal, I wish we had someone who could garner one-tenth the audience of those conservative commentators.

So, as a liberal, I detest the conservative myth of the "mainstream liberal media." I wish there were one, then I wouldn't fee so all alone.

– Seth Hill, Topanga, CA

July 4, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  23. Perusing-through

WHOA!!! It was Palin who first attacked the media when McCain introduced her as his VP nominee. It was Palin who first attacked the media at the Republican National Convention and caught the national media off guard and flatfoot. But the media eventually responded by doing the VP vetting McCain's team never completed and the "Wicked Witch of the Northwest" has been crying since.

July 4, 2009 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  24. Esme

Palin is always a victim. I have that much clear by now. Some people are.

Poor poor them.

Oh, and so, she speaks to 'the one' that dishes out 'higher callings' too?

July 4, 2009 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  25. George

Okay, stop playing the victim card. Seriously.

Palin use the media to her advantage and then complains about how the media exploits her. C'mon now. She should really take a back seat. She is the exact stereotype of a woman and most people I know think of her as the stereotypical reason a woman will never be elected president. There should be stronger female icons in the Republican Party.

July 4, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |