July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. The Truth

The Pitbull who attacked Obama and called him every name in the book incuding a "Terrorist" Is now crying foul?.
    When the going gets tough-The Weak Quit!.

July 4, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  2. dinah

I hope this means goodbye.

July 4, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  3. Ron

I'm glad she didn't get elected to the vp spot. I'd hate to think of her quitting half way during her term. She's been in politics long enough to know that it is a brutal career. And she's dished out as much crap on others as others have dished out on her. Here's some advice, Sarah. Don't run for president, it's a 4 year term, not a "I'll quit when the going gets tuff" term.

July 4, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  4. sam

Hey Lady It's mainstream media-two words not three...wow.just wow

July 4, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Slash

Why is the media covering the political pandering of this nutjob?

THERE IS A WAR GOING ON.
    WE ARE TRYING TO PREVENT TWO MORE FROM STARTING.
    THE ECONOMY IS STILL AT RISK OF RE-COLLAPSING.

AND LASTLY, IT'S THE FREAKIN' FOURTH OF JULY.

News flash, Mrs. Palin-no one cares. If you want to screw over your party AGAIN in 2012, be my guest, but stop acting like you're entitled to attention. And CNN, go back to Journalism I and learn the definition of "newsworthy".

July 4, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  6. Steven in FL

For someone who aspires so strongly to be a leader and role model, Mrs. Palin certainly does whine a lot. She is anything but "statesmanlike" (sorry, I don't know what the gender-neutral equivalent for that term would be).

July 4, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  7. Crazy Harry

There is no double standard, you are just not a very intelligent person you can't have a coherent thought and espouse radical and hateful ideas.

Sarah, when you come back to reality and work to bring the people of our nation together and not create such hate, the double standards that you perceive will end.

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  8. wvally

The most honest politician I'v ever seen. No special interest owns her.

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. wag

Can't wait to hear the REAL story , as to what it is going on
    in Alaska, and one wonders what is being covered up, so far....

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. Valerie, Raleigh

My guess is there is more to come on the Palin resignation. She blames the media for her problems I, however, blame the Republican Party for thrusting this unqualified, far-right religious woman into the national spotlight. She immediately showed her lack of education, understanding of the national scene and her total unsuitably for the office of vice president.

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. RobertD

Boo-hoo. I'm a victim. It's all about me.

Sarah, you're a dysfunctional narcissist who will do anything–including pimping out your kids–to get attention. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. MJM

Sarah, no mater what the reason you left your office early, it is your business. People that keep coming at you and throwing hate at you constantly will be sorry for it one of these days. I for one look forward to seeing and hearing about you in the future.

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  13. Rhino

What a waste of oxygen.

Sarah, why don't you just drift off into anonymity with Mark Sanford?

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  14. SNAPPA

This woman is truly delusional. Whatever she is thinking she tries to make herself out to be some kind of "hero" when in fact she is incredibly nieve and a certain embarrassment to the people of Alaska. I feel no sorrow for this person or her family, what has happened has happened as a direct result of her ignorance. Once you enter politics you must realize first and foremost that there is an opposition party that is NOT in lock step with your opinions and policies. Personally I think the people of Alaska are better off without a person in leadership role that cannot distinguish a country from a continent.

July 4, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  15. Eddie deRoulet

Palin defines dumb

July 4, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. T KS

She only did this to grab the headlines again. She is all too happy to be a dancing monkey for the media.

July 4, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  17. lydia

who exactly are these others (who else bailed out of their term midway through to campaign) and what is this higher calling? is god calling her to the presidency the way bush did? have mercy on us all.

July 4, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  18. joen

Enough, already!

July 4, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  19. Jeff

w.h.a.c.k.j.o.b

July 4, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  20. EMClausen

Seriously? What a load of self-serving crap.

July 4, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  21. NJRepublican

Sarah says more crazy nonsense in a single speech than most politicians say in a year!

July 4, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  22. GP-Lower 48

Poor Sarah, the perpetual victim. Geesh, for a devote seccessionist, or at least married to one, the idea that you're all about country is a little disengenius to say the least.

When you were addressing the successionist conference a couple of years ago did you explain to them that you're all about country?

You're not ready for the big league yet, Sarah. Anyone that says less than nice things about you is a bad person.

Read any newspapers lately?

July 4, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  23. Lisa

Sure, sure!!!

July 4, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  24. David

As crazy and illogical as her rants often are, what's really crazy is that there are people who believe every word of it. It is those people to whom she is directing her nonsensical diatribes.

July 4, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. Jeff

Can we please just commit this delusional woman to a mental institution and get it over with?

And when will she figure out that America does not elect those who play the victim as president?

July 4, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |