July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Obama is a Disaster

Palin will outsmart the liberal media and the mean-spirited Democrat critics. We haven't heard the last from Palin – it's only the beginning. Long after Obama has gone off to write his memoirs about his dismal turn in office, Palin will be in the political spotlight for decades.

July 4, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  2. Zach K

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two." Which one of the things did Palin accomplish?

A.) Not finishing the first term as governor.
    B.) Become a media laughing stock.
    C.) Visting the Continential United States than focusing on Alaska.
    D.) All of the Above

For the record, the majority of Americans chose D.

July 4, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  3. RFK

Another string of lies… The fact that people still believe her is just sad. I have no doubt she will keep herself in the spotlight; she is all about the attention and money. I am guessing she will show up on Fox news with a spot on one of the programs where she can read text that has been written for her. It will be prerecorded so they can do lots of takes to clean up her mistakes.

July 4, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  4. BobbyC

At least she's not the VP stepping down because the going got tough...

July 4, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  5. Anny

This lady is so full of Bull that she doesn't even know what she says or even what she stands for.........she just proved that she is not worthy of any elected office because she has proved she can't finish it when things don't go her way........all she knows how to do is blame the media for everything, but she will never accept any blame for herself

July 4, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  6. kent

From an observer, not the media: "Sarah is delusional."

July 4, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. DMM

Sarah ~ what is odd to me is your "victim" attitude, yet craving the public's understanding and endorsement. You are a hypocrit with a capital "H" with your so called values, yet a family that doesn't embrace or live them in every day life.

I'm not from Alaska but I say GOODBYE!!!!!! And I hope this "higher calling" keeps you out of the news and the country's living rooms with your absolutely stupid remarks.

Hope to NOT see you soonD!

July 4, 2009 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Willow

The "media" will never understand. That is laughable, because no one understands the rambling jibberish of Palin....Good bye and Good riddance Palin. Guess you might have come to the conclusion that a "Big" mouth does not indicate ones qualification to hold public office–we all figured it out long ago!

July 4, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Jackalope

What is it with this woman's obsession with "the media"? If she hates "the mainstream media" so much, what media does she like?

Seems to me she's just somebody who can't stand the heat, and I hope she's out of the kitchen for good!

July 4, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  10. michael sirr m.d.

god-what an idiot.

July 4, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  11. carmenb1920

This is such a crock. Sara Palin has an agenda which is guided entirely toward her own blind ambition. How can any citizen of the United States ever take her seriously, if she doesn't even take her position as Govenor of Alaska seriously enough to finish out her term. Sarah, you should be ashamed of yourself. Who do you think you are fooling?

July 4, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  12. Scott

What kind of drugs is she on? It seems that everyone is out to get her. For paranoia is going to be one of many thugs that will be her undoing. She is a total crackpot!

July 4, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  13. R.D. Scruggs Jr

Mrs Palin was a breath of fresh air in the stagnant, smog filled office of our wimpy, turncoat republican party. It should be no surprise that to really make a difference one would have to detach themselves from the out-of-touch lunacy that fills our elected offices. I hope we haven't lost the best thing that's come around in a long time.

July 4, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  14. Tim

Good bye you freak.

July 4, 2009 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  15. Millie McGuire

Alaska has made great progress during Gov Palin's tenure in office. She has much to offer to the people of the US. Too bad so many liberals are so afraid of her attractiveness that they continue to bad mouth and insult every member of her family,unfairly - not the American way. We should all praise Americans who want to be involved, not try to destroy them.

July 4, 2009 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  16. Mac Harris

What a pathetic, narcissistic statement. We can only hope this woman is out of politics for good.

July 4, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  17. Nil

The media probably DOESN'T understand, Governor, but that shouldn't be your concern; do the Alaskan people understand?

July 4, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  18. Independent

Oh please, it is always the media's fault with her....she is the one that opened mouth....Get over yourself Sara.....Sooooooooo long....

July 4, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  19. Jack

She realized that her 15 minutes were more than up and she's trying to wring the last few seconds out of whatever "fame" she thinks she had.

July 4, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  20. GOP = 21st century dodo

The only people who think Sarah Palin is "smart" are people dumber than she is, hence her popularity among the GOP base.

July 4, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  21. SAW

If Sarah Palin is the "best gift" that Alaska can give the US, we should cut it loose and give it back to Russia, because she's certainly not much of a gift.

July 4, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  22. judy

Wow, paranoid and delusional, all in one!

July 4, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  23. Mark

Uh, if it's about country why is she putting herself above her state?

Sarah Palin, the perpetual victim role wore thin last year.

July 4, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  24. Patty

No one understands your decision because it's stupid. No matter how you spin it.

July 4, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  25. Marc

Look, Ms. Palin, the problem is not that we didn't understood you. The problem is that we DID, we DO and we will keep on DOING!!!
    The message, your message, is of divisiviness and that's exactly what we DON'T NEED now. So go and meet your (shrinking) group of 'Real Americans', and try to be voted again.
    Supposing that that deal about a sport complex AND your new house back in Wasilla won't send you to the 'Big House'...

July 4, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |