July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. kate

So really, what have you done more than a lot of other people – it is time you realized your 15 minutes of fame are over!!!

July 4, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  2. Jeff

Please, Sarah, run for president in 2012 and get your party's nomination. There is nothing more I want than 4 more guaranteed years of Obama as our president.

July 4, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. Meredith

Palin is right: some people will never understand her decision...because they are too self-centered to ever put the best of their state ahead of keeping a prestigous title and the money that goes with it. Thank goodness she is not a "politics as usual" democrate.

She saw that Alaskans were paying the price for the frivolous lawsuits she keeps having to battle by those who support the current democratic administration and who fear her successful run against him in 2012.

She wisely sees that if she removes herself from office then Alaskans won't have to be part of the democrats "target" when they aim at her. She deserves a medal! No other governor in our country would even think about giving up the job for the sake of their constituents.

July 4, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. skeptic1

she's incompetent, and wacko... i think she needs to go put her tin foil hat back on.

July 4, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. Dee

Gosh she whines! What happened to the pit bull? Oh, yea that was just about lighting and staging like the clothes-right? No, Sarah, none of understand anything you do. It's not just the media...it's anyone with common sense.

July 4, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. llynch

This will give her time to study geography and World affairs. Here's a hint Sarah – Africa is not a country...

The bimbo is a perfect example of the GOP's ideal woman. Dumb as a rock – but hot!

July 4, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Anonymous

What a loon.

July 4, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  8. Marylander

I don't even want to read the comments on this story. I just know that Gov. Palin is doing what she feels is right for her, her family, Alaska and her country. Fear her Liberals.......she is not gone! BAHAHAHAHAHA!

July 4, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  9. willowood

Palin and McCain are a perfect match. Neither of them are in touch with reality and both will blame the media for everything. Funny I blame the media for forcing this pathethic pair on us day after day, but I'm not quitting my day job. Fortunately President Obama does not adhere to cut and run politics. He's making the most of a miserable situation with enough blame to go around to both parties with blame to spare for the electorate.
    We will see Sarah on Fox news blithering away and McCain will stiil be happy he chose her. What a mess he made of the Republican Party. Will the real Republicans please stand up and do something to help our country move forward.

July 4, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  10. johnny

Sarah Palin, aka: Bats B Yappin' is like listening to a repeating recording of finger nails down a chalkboard. I've never heard someone ramble so long without actually saying anything in my life. I'm not anti-Republican or anti-Democrat. I just have no tolerance for people propping up a half wit & expecting rational people to accept it. She should be banned just like waterboarding is banned. When she talks, I feel like confessing to stuff I didn't do just so she will be quit..

July 4, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  11. BK in Mass

I am hoping soon-to-be-former Gov. Palin to run for President in '12.
    She should pick the conservative congressman from Florida, Lincoln Diaz-Balart as the running mate.

Palin-Diaz 2012! (pronounced with silent "L")

That's the ticket!!!

July 4, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  12. johnny

quiet..

July 4, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  13. Steven

This woman could make a career as a professional victim.

July 4, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  14. WA

Is she the one who said she auctioned the governor's plane on e-bay and that dude from AZ said she made money off of that (during one of their campaigns)?

It turned out that they sold the place at a loss. ( Reported by all news media except FOX, of course!!)

July 4, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  15. Ann

It is confirmed... Sarah Palin is absolutely nutz.

July 4, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  16. ANDROLOMA, Commerce City, Colorado

It's good to see that the primitive Pentecostalism has had no adverse effect on her modern ego!

July 4, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  17. WA

correction: They sold the plane not place!!

July 4, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  18. James Michael Roberson

I did not see it till I read her Facebook Page message, but she has obviously became deluded by visions of grandeur. It is truly sad. She is unfortunately headed for an incredibly crude awakening. And I now I feel so sorry for her. Her comment the other day about her picture with her son being an Iconic image is an example of this delusion. And now this message as if she has some higher calling. What calling? What position or office does she suppose she is lofted? Well I hope her friends will be there to help her pick up the pieces when reality sinks in. And I wonder who is advising her in this direction and encouraging her because they are, I don't know what, certainly not helping her.

July 4, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  19. Donnygull

Anyone that could support this she devil is certifiably insane. After reading so many stories of her never ending ambition,t he use of people like throw away commodities, and her complete ignorance of the responsibility of office, I am amazed that there are Americans that buy into her load of manure. On this 4th of July , I'm very happy that we now have freedom from this harpy.

July 4, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  20. Kayfabe

you bet ya....a daughter having two babys out of wedlock on her watch?

July 4, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  21. Paul

Ah, yes. Of course Palin has to make herself out to be the victim. It's the 'liberals' fault, right? That's the stock response from the neo-cons. Ya know, it rained here today, on the 4th of July. I think I'll blame that on the liberals and quit my job. Seems like a perfectly Palin thing to do.

July 4, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  22. bob

Yeah, you did a lot in a partial term. You revealed to the entire world that you are a liar, a fool, dumb, incoherent, and a joke as a mother, woman, and human being.

July 4, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  23. Think

How ridiculous. Maybe someone should tell her that there is more to leading than nasty campaign speeches and limelight - that you're actually supposed to LEAD.

Her pipeline project - something she could have made a reality - is still a "bridge to nowhere near completed - not even started" Not one shovelful of dirt has been turned over and she cuts and runs.

Nope I have the feeling, she's quitting because she doesn't like hard work - she likes the cameras and people's attention. Just watch - she'll join Dick and Liz Cheney with their constant sniping against this President.

She had some potential - but frankly she's always come off like a grown up version of the mean girls in high school - the ones with a social savvy, a wicked tongue, and a love for attention and making snide comments about others.

Just watch - Fox News will have her on as a regular contributor like Dick Morris - or she'll join Hannity on his show ... He taught her everything she knows!

July 4, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. MikePost

Loser Quitter

July 4, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  25. Hassn

She is a diva and it is a sad thing about our time that diva's and showmen get elected.

July 4, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |