July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. C. Fontaine

The only thing palin is a victim of is her own stupidity and hubris. Look it up, caribou lil, maybe you can borrow someone's dictionary.

July 4, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. Laura

Man, she loves to play the victim...

July 4, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Lawrence

Now that she will be out of the public eye, for a little while anyway, maybe she can now set up a photo shoot with maxim or fhm, eh? I'm sure that Americans would have positive comments to say about her "assets" then!

July 4, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. Carl Justus

Palin has accomplished nothing, that a good high school student could not accomplish in half the time.

The only thing she has accomplished is running off at the mouth. How in the world McCain picked her as a running mate for vice president is beyond me. He must has been drunk or throwing darts at board and missed the board completely.

I am sure CNN will not publish this comment for is does not praise a republican that has shown she is not worthy or praise.

July 4, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  5. MiddleOfTheRoad

She claims to be a 'victim'. She is a national embarrassment.

July 4, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  6. Linda G

Go away already. Please.

July 4, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. Dan

Governor Palin,

The media DOES understand. I feel sorry for them though, they cannot see Russia from their house!

July 4, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. tim

She is putting country first by dropping out of sight. Why can't people understand we are better off without her on the radar. Yes, it was good for the Democrats when she was front and center but she has dropped out for the good of all and should be commended for it.
    bluecub

July 4, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. Salliesue

Unless and until Ms. Palin can make a speech without saying someone is picking on her or calling herself a victim, she is not fit to run for president or speak for her party. We need politicians who are able to look beyond their own needs and self-importance, who can work for the best for America even if it doesn't necessarily jibe with their own personal beliefs. Please bring us reports of people like that – who can actually change the face of the Republican party – and that will be news!!

July 4, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Pam in Iowa

Pailn needs to stop blaming the "liberal mdeia" for her own short commings. She is an embarssement to the republican party and women in general she is a nit wit who got in over her head when the foolish people of AK voted for her and the even more foolish John McCain selcted her to be a running mate.

July 4, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  11. Jeremy

So hypothetically, if Palin wins the presidency in 2012 and then doesn't want to run for re-election in 2016, will she just step down in 2015 to avoid the "politics as usual" move of completing your term.

Maybe some of the soldiers in Iraq would like to step down a year early and return home without completing their full service and avoid "war as usual".

Hmm, maybe I won't make my last mortgage payment and let the bank deal with it to avoid "finances as usual".

July 4, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  12. paul-o

Dear Sarah,

Can we please have a few examples of the "countless others" who quit their elected positions mid-term and were held to "a different standard" than you?

And while you are at it, could you tell us exactly who is holding you to this different standard? And what the difference is between this standard and the standard that usually applies to people who quit mid-term?

July 4, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  13. Tanya

PUKE! This woman makes me want to gag. Her ego is the size of Alaska...

July 4, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  14. JB

Whether the media understands or not is largely a non-issue.

Quitting in the middle of your first term is always going to raise questions, and her rambling speech yesterday did nothing to address the most obvious concerns.

July 4, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Ron

I believe Palin said it was costing Alaska too much for all the investigations and the cost of looking into her emails, etc. Does she really think that will all stop just because she steps down? But although I am not an admirer of hers, I'm almost as disgusted as she is about all the speculation. We live in a culture that thrives on so called "analysis" which is mostly speculation, and usually wrong. Instead of all the speculation, the media and the commentators could just wait and see what happens and then report on the facts. But we all know that won't happen.

July 4, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  16. Lee

Poor Sarah...always the victim.

July 4, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  17. Bryan Carey

I never understood why she thinks the mainstream media is after her when it prints what she says. I didn't have to listen to any commentary I just had to look at her own words and actions. I'm sorry she thinks the media is after her just because she is delusional...

July 4, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  18. Robrob

"Cut & Run"?

July 4, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  19. How you like me now

---------------------------

if she is trying to infer that Obama did the same thing she did....she is flat out wrong. Obama quit his senate position in while he was firmly establshed into the presenditial campaign. she quit three years before the republican primary!!!!!

now on the other hand if she is quitting for personal or family reasons i can fully understand and respect that. she shouldnt have to explain details about her families problems to justify her leaving her post, she just simple needs to say she was leaving for personal reasons that she wishes to keep that private and leave it at that. instead she is rambling about being a point guard and blaming the media.

July 4, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  20. Brian

wat?

July 4, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  21. Tony in Maine

Sha Na Na had a hit that would make a great theme song for Palin.

July 4, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  22. Jim

She is also a quitter...

July 4, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. k

Can someone provide a list of exactly what she's accomplished?

July 4, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. Jack

Where is she getting this "double standard" argument from? I don't see how it is not legitimate to criticize her for not fulfilling her term. She was elected to serve until 2010, and it is legitimate to question why she's stepping down.

With that said, I think that Sarah Palin is genuinely a dumb (and by dumb, I mean below-average intelligence), and I also think that anyone who supports her is also a dumb person. It really scares me that people like her.

July 4, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  25. Tom-MO

She doesn't understand! SARAH PLEASE LISTEN – IT'S NOT THE MSM that you can't speak well and formulate conherent throughts.

That song is old and definitely dried up – DID YOU HEAR YOURSELF YESTERDAY WITH THAT RAMBLING SORRY A_S SPEECH....

Please already – you don't have a pity party here...... You are a sorry excuse for a self proclaim Pit Bull with Lipstick. Good Riddance

July 4, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |