July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. kendra wood

I am coming to the conclusion that Sarah has a mental health issue. She needs help.

July 4, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  2. paul steedle

Sarah Palin is no fool. She does not perform near to that high a standard. She is in it for the money she can make speaking for the next year and one half. Even the right wing will not respect a quiter.

July 4, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  3. annie against biased news

I hope once she is out of office that she starts to file lawsuits on some of these government run news medias for defamation of character.

July 4, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Good lord... Palin is always whining and playing the victim card!

July 4, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. thomas

She's a victim of herself

July 4, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. Dale

This woman is a real lunatick!! Thank goodness she and McCain didn't win the election. It's real smart of her to quit a job that she was elected to. What would happen if she were elected president (God forbid) and things didn't go her way and the media attacked her like she feels they do. Would she resign from being president? If the "Republi-cons" continue to support her they are in worse shape as a political party than I thought they were.

July 4, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. Chris

She always plays the martyr. She can't own up to anything. Not much of a leader, more like a cry baby. How can she have accomplished anything is the little time she served as Governor. She claims credit for axing the bridge to nowhere, but it was done by someone else. She railed against Washington spending, but always had her hand out for more. She is leaving long before the end of her first term. She spent months away running for VP and the last 8 months running around saying everyone is picking on her. She may be popular with the extreme wing of the Republican party, but that can't win an election.

July 4, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. endicott

By main stream media, she means all those Republican pundits. Right?

July 4, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. Harvey for Obama

Sara Palin is a victim of her own foolishness.

July 4, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. AnnMarie

I think Sarah Palin left her job to concentrate on the presidency. however, there are not enough hannity, beck and linbaugh around to elect her.

she will not get the black vote, the latino vote, nor the democratic vote.

she needs to stay local and raise her kids teach them about birth control and dont be ignorant about it. This is the 21st century.

July 4, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. Tikaralee

The only one who is using a double standard is Palin. She is getting the same treatment anyone who goes on TV has gotten, she puts her family business out but then complains when people talk about it, she complains about how women are shown in media but then goes and does stero-typical "women" actions. She is putting herself on a double standard.

July 4, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  12. Smart women

I love sarah palin,please if you really need good advice for me please
    go back to school and be more use ful your self and your family.
    Iam 34 years african woman with no money and husband,but the only thing i can be proud is I have two degree.people respect to you when you have aducation and more knowlegable.the reason media and american people make of you fun becouse america and the world
    21 century it is aducation.you can not be leader with out fantsy degree.
    I repect you ,you are great mom and young please go back to school
    6 more years it is nothing you will see and feel the difference.
    Thanks,
    Arwala.

July 4, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. Hayduke

I thought that honorable people honored commitment, personal and professional. Bailing out of her commitment to the people of Alaska does not bode well for the rest of Americans if she somehow got to the White House. What happens when the media is tough on her as President, will she just lock the doors and pass her responsibilities on to the VP?

Maybe there is hope. She may resign midterm because she has a higher calling, like being in charge of EXXON or other multinational corporation. Of course this is America and people can be free to cut short a commitment if they dream of larger horizons. Thank God the Eisenhower didn't quit the Army in 43 to run for president in 44.

July 4, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  14. Wayne

Ah, Sarah, NO ONE UNDERSTANDS YOU. Take you and your talking points and just leave! Limited Gov't, yada, yada. That term doesn't even make sense anymore! You call for greater energy independence, stronger nat'l security. Well who is going to provide that, the big FAT USA Gov't.

July 4, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  15. Joe

Sarah is so misunderstood ... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! If a man would have run for Vice President and had as little understanding of the job, the world in which we live, and the state of our economy ... he would have been crucified. Instead, she was just laughed off as a joke. However, a small (and getting smaller by the day) segment of the population gives here almost God-like status because of her "professed" pro-family positions. Well, in my book she is no better than Mark Sandford, Senator Ensign or any of the other self-righteous do as I say not as I do members of the conservative "elites". To me, any parent (and yes, particularly a Mother) who would choose to run for Vice President with an infant is not putting the needs of their family first (they are putting the their own political ambitions first). That is magnified one thousand-fold (again, for me) given that this is a special needs child (and trust me, none of us have been allowed to forget that for a moment). Palin wants all the benefits of being a woman, but has done nothing to earn it. Her positions on issues are not pro-women (and I'm a man). I hope she and her reality TV wannabe crew make lots of money selling books, TV shows, or whatever and we come to grips that this woman can't even run a state that basically runs it self (you don't have to raise taxes to run Alaska, it all runs on federal dollars and there are money people in Austin Texas than in the entire state of Alaska) nevertheless hold high national office.

July 4, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  16. Uknow

good makes sure she don't come back , but i am sure the Democrat will love her is she run for press in 2010, that will be the best thing for democrat :)

July 4, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Independent_me

Cry me a river!
    The women is delusional!

She talks about “politics of personal destruction” – yet it was she who took that type of politics to a new low when she called Obama a terrorist; denied his Christianity and, by her inflammatory rhetoric, incited a mob to call for his death.

What kind of a Christian is this????

She is a quitter who does not finish what she started. She left the job of Mayor of Wasilla after serving approximately half of the term that she was elected to serve...and now she is doing the same thing. And both times she did it because of her blind ambition masked in the cloak of patriotism.

Sarah Palin is a joke!

July 4, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. Teena

So to her twisted way of thinking, she made the decision to be out of the political spotlight for the best of the country–so why did she want to be the focus of the political spotlight for the best of the country when she was running with McCain? I am almost as confused as she sounds-well almost!

July 4, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  19. yoyolite

BLAME, BLAME , BLAME, everyone except yourself. It's the media's fault, the liberals, the democrats, the elitist, the Johnston's, Lettterman, the republican, Mccain, Obama, enough already. Look at yourself, Ms. Palin and you would see that it's you. Everybody can't be wrong. You are the constant force.

July 4, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  20. democrat no mas

The news media tried their best to make her cry, but they never did. Politics aside, she is one tough lady. Shame on everyone who attacked her in the way they did because of her beliefs and opinions. Diversity and honest reporting are dead. Don't want her for President, but she was treated like dirt under the guise of "vetting". Give Obama & his family a little of this tough love and watch the outrage.

July 4, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  21. Joe Kiwi

Sarah Palin could not stand the scrutiny of the media. All public figures and politicians are always under the media scrutiny and even sometimes ridicule. Those who go into public service are aware of that. Comedians make fun of politicians everyday. An example is the Clintons. But you don't see the Clintons complaining and calling comedians perverts like Sarah Palin implied David Letterman to be one. I could imagine the Clintons laughing at some of the jokes about them. Sarah Palin made the right choice to go into hibernation and hide away from the main stream media (ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC) except FOX.

July 4, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  22. Larry Kudlow

I am quiting my job on Monday too. The country needs me!

July 4, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  23. jeana

Just go away already so we can find out how poorly you ran your office when all the audits are done in about 6 months. Sheesh, I'm sick of this woman in the news all the time. Her 15 minutes is definitely OVER!

July 4, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  24. Republican's suck

She did a huge favor to the citizens of Alaska. They will no longer have to have a fraud for a governor who is only serving her own political ambition. Hopefully this decision will make her vanish from the political landscape although as a Democrat it is appealing to have an idiot like her running around making the Republican Party look like the fools we all know them to be.

July 4, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  25. Ren from Baltimore

Gov Palin,

Leave well enough alone. You posted your early resignation at the start of a 3-day holiday weekend so as to avoid, in part, this kind of circus atmosphere that has plagued your time in the limelight.

Learn when to be quiet. It will serve you much better. Good luck to you and yours-

July 4, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |