July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. deb

It's mind boggling just how full of herself Palin is. She is the poster child for out-of-control ego; not to mention the "oh woe is me" tune she continually sings.

July 4, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. yappy

You are a quitter Palin. Plain and simple. I live in Alaska and you bailed... on a holiday too. What a coward. Please. I don't need ANY help from you. God help us all if you somehow become our president.

July 4, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  3. Harold Hedrick

total moron

July 4, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  4. Richard L

We understand her decision. She FAILED to honor the commitment she made to be governor. Her word was NOT GOOD. Very simple.

July 4, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  5. Wayne

Tell me Sarah what Americans will be allowed in your Country?
    Is it me, I from a BIG city, not a small town. I'm african american am I'm allowed in your small gov't world. Some reason you don't make me feel welcomed. Sarah thinks people like her are the only ones who love this country, Sarah thinks the only people allowed in this country are people like her. Oh yeah, Sarah only wants smaller taxes, not me, well she is entirely wrong and misguided, or just plain exclusive with her AMERICA.

July 4, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. IB1

Please. What an f-ing self righteous idiot. It's called being a quiter. Just trying to stay one step ahead of an indictment.

July 4, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  7. Jegg G

shut up already and step down! Jeez......

July 4, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. Jack Medley

Ahh the joke continues. She's gonna be great to make more fun of. It's because stupid people are easy to make fun of.

July 4, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. jr

good riddance to that dingbat

July 4, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  10. Richard in California

Wow. Can Sarah Palin feel any more sorry for herself? Does she really think that she's the only politician, only woman, only public figure to have gone through the scrutiny of the American spotlight? And while I'm commenting, does she really think that her motives are anything more than nakedly transparent for her desire for power?

Funny thing is that if she plans on running in 2012, this singular move will doom her presidential ambitions. Why vote for someone who can't hack it in the public eye? I hope and pray that this woman find peace as a private citizen, and leave the rest of America alone.

July 4, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  11. flod

I cannot believe this woman is getting air time from anybody – I feel sorry for the people of Alaska – Sarah was just not that into you! When is John McCain going to get the cajones and say what he really feels! he is going to have to take this sorry sideshow to his great reward – because if he really admits that he signed up the xmas fruitcake as his running mate he will be the laughing stock in DC and USA. To think that he made this choice and now he has to stick by his action and all the other lemming republicans who dont have the cajones to speak out and say – this was wrong John and you know it – and now we are left having to deal with her in 2012 – if one repub stands up and tells it like it is – he will have my respect. Ed Rollins stood up today and said – she quit! and no matter what she does in the future – she is a quitter when she doesnt like the way the ball bounces, to put it in her sports analogy – Oh my gosh – it cant get any worse – can it?Alaska was way too slow for her after she had a taste of the camera. By the way Sarah did you really ask your kids for advice? Either she is going to be on the 700 club, fox news, join Rush as a sidekick, but I think after awhile people will get tired of hearing the same old BS, big government, energy independence, blah blah blah blah. Honestly dont care where she shows up – as long as they are not killing turkeys in the background – I still have a hard time thinking about that one!

July 4, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  12. dave

lets hope she goes back to her igloo and never seen or heard from again!

July 4, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. Julia Hughes

Please, Ms. Palin, just stop...you are your own worst enemy.

In the beginning, I really wanted you to be the one woman that could go all the way but, in very short order, I realized that you just did not 'have it' and would never 'have it'.

However, now you are just distracting voting Republicans, primarily women, from other worthy Republican candidates that can actually challenge the democratic majority.

We need checks and balances... and you are not the solution. You are just plain devisive and not a consensus builder. People either love you or hate you and there are not enough that love you to make it worth any Republican's while.

Please, just go away.

July 4, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. whitefences

What a loser.

July 4, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  15. pinaki

thank God – she is leaving – what a joker

July 4, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  16. Pauladirect

I look forward to the near future where people will say Sarah Palin WHO?

July 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. ginny Ferrisbegin

While Sarah Palin has charisma, is very entertaining, I just don't see her as even close to being ready for the Presidency of the United States. Other than right to life, I am not sure I have ever heard her opinions on much of anything else. She needs to have finished her term as Governor, showed she can grasp the concept of government and take a lot of time to understand policies foreign and domestic. A trip to Kosovo does not qualify as knowing foreign policy.

July 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  18. Paul

Huh ???????? Am I the only one that thinks nothing she says makes any sense? Seriously. The verbage just doesn't make any sense.

July 4, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  19. jason

ummmm do i hear whine, whine, whine...this woman...is a disgrace to everyone and everything. GOOD RIDDANCE !!

July 4, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  20. Jason

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the countless ethics scandals she is involved in. Why can't she just go away? She's proven how inexperienced and unintelligent she really is. Unfortunately, there are enough people in this country that will drink the Kool-Aid and see this as some pious move 'for the country'. What a joke.

July 4, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. Wayne

I don't even know if I'm allowed to be republican. You know they gave just Micheal Steele a membership and took back Colin powell's. I think they are handing them out one at a time.

July 4, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. John E Lexington KY

Palin's resigning her office 'for the higher good' is almost unique, certainly not the action of 'countless others' – exactly what does she think she is referring to, priests, soldiers, Joan of Arc? She has no accomplishments in office other than projecting herself into the national media and promoting many of her high school cronies into positions they were not qualified to fill. Any politician who used their Down's Syndrome child as a political prop repeatedly, who had an underage child who gave birth to an illegitimate baby whose teenage father's mother was busted for running a crystal meth lab in her home would have received greater vilification than Palin. She has no sane sense of responsibility about her job or the millions who apparently see her as a leader. Let's look at the truth : she is a train wreck as a mother, a candidate, a governor; and whatever greatness survives today is in spite of her brand of politics and politicians. Her gender has nothing to do with the revulsion she provokes. Bush II, Nixon, Reagan (yes, the plaster saint himself), Agnew, Sanford, Illinois' past governor (yes, Democrats have them too)...She should be ignored into oblivion for the rest of her 'career', whatever that may be. If there was a decent, grounded person in there somewhere it has been obliterated internally, imploded. Her net worth will jump, but she is without worth for the nation. Give her a show on Fox where no sane person will ever have to hear her again.

July 4, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  23. GetOverIt

Oh yeah, it's about country. Sure it is.

July 4, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. Jada

Sarah Palin is an idiot...... Higher calling as in finishing the six grade, or higher calling in GO AWAY...... Repubs if you let this idiot represent you. You really will be the butt of everybody's jjokes!

July 4, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  25. HJA

Join me? She took on responsibility as governor and now runs from it. She did more in one term than most in two terms? Like what? She is going for the money. Watch. She will be doing speaking engagements, she has a book deal. She can't make that kind of money as a governor. She isn't fooling anyone. Well maybe 25%. I'm glad she's a GOOPER.

July 4, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |