July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Peter E

Since November she's been an attention-hungry hypocrite, calling the media every time she had an opinion about something. She's neglected her state, and instead tried to campaign prematurely for the 2012 presidential campaign. The only one she can blame for all the negative press coverage is herself!

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  2. KayoFrisco

Palin is a victim of her own hubris and a quitter.

At least Nixon had an intelligible resignation speech.

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  3. Judy in Ohio

Sarah got as good as gave!
    She did not hesitate, to use the media when she spoke of then, Senator Omabama, as a friend of a "known terrorist."
    She has never had the intellect, charisma, class or capacity to learn.
    She is NOT a socker mom! She is an opportunist, who prayed to God, for power, while carrying her unborn child.
    Sarah is not presidential material. And I am willing to be, my next vote for president Obama, there is more scandal to come. That is why she is leaving her post as governor.
    I have a college education too. It does not qualify me to be president.
    Her degree in matching color swatches, does not make her presidential material either.
    Good-bye Sarah Pailin. I wish you and your family well.
    Judy

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  4. Matt

She needs a grammar editor in writing, not just talking.

I hope the greater calling is to go into seclusion.

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  5. dustin

different standards? what governor has ever done this? what governor has quit a term early other than for scandle, or the election for president would interfere? she's off the charts, not in a good way.

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. Nan

Yes she received some really ugly press. But, so have countless other politicians before her. She was never accused of "palling around with terrorists" or not loving her country. The problem is she can dish it out but can't take it. At no point in time have I ever heard anyone attack her son Trigg. She made her children a focus when it was politcally benefical for her. She is also playing the poor pitiful me look at the big bad media picking on my kids card when it is benefical. She is not wise in the history of this country or in recent events. She does, however, know how to play the extreme conservative right like a fiddle. Don't be fooled. That is what she does best. Look at me with all my great values being picked on by those pagans. She ran on the reputation of being a barcuda. She is in fact a guppy who got in over her head. She also made women look like weak whiney beings. I do not wish any ill will on her, I just wish she would stop playing the martyr role. If you can;t run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  7. Memphis Tiger

Liberals claim to want to respect everyone and shake hands with dictators and be friendly to terrorists and tyrants but when it comes to their own people, Americans and conservatives they viciously attack us and show no mercy. We are hated and shown no love or respect. There is a double standard and we are calling for freedom. Freedom of speech and religion without being persecuted. That's why we came to America in the first place was to get away from the persecutors. We celebrate our independence and notice we don't celebrate our dependence.

July 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  8. Gpenn

Victim, Victim, Victim, Victim, I'm a victim. Palin seems to have nothing else to offer, but playing the victim. Governor Palin is in part a victim, but it's her ambition and ego that has victimized her and nothing or no one else. I look forward to seeing this higher calling she is now drawn to.

July 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  9. usualone

Palin just wants to fight with everyone who disagrees with her, without analyzing why folk are against her. She needs to take a hard look at herself - she always has been confrontational and divisive. She wants to fight battles with so many without thinking before opening her mouth. By her actions and utterances, she antagonizes too many people and says foolish disruptive things. Sadly, I don't think she will ever understand why people negatively react to her. People like President Obama because he is a thinking man. His intelligence shines through. She doesn't demonstrate what it takes to put our country in the right direction to pull us out of our current economic state. It is easy to blame everyone but oneself as she so illustrates.

July 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  10. MRT

I am so sick of this constant whining... what a spin,quit your job and then tell the other Governors who keep their job for the alloted time that they just milk it and waste taxpayers money...
    I hope this is the end of her coverage.

July 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  11. SM

Oh, yeah, I forgot that Palin can see Russia from her house. It never ceases to amaze me that Palin always finds a reason to blame the media for her own personal mishaps.

The truth of the matter is this; Palin can't blame the media for her lack of knowledge and common sense. She should have taken advantage of the free education that america has offered to many Americans, especially white america.

Either she resigning because she truly wishes to make spend more time with her loved ones, or a terrible scandal is about to appear which would really disgrace she and her family had she choosen to remain in office.

Besides, she is very stupid and I don't believe that Gov. Palin is playing with a full deck.

July 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  12. Kimberly

Who's the "countless others" she's referring to? What higher calling is there than public office? Is she running to be the new Jesus????

I don't get this martyr thing she's doing. No one likes a quitter and even less like a quitter who's a whinner.

July 4, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  13. D Moore

What a phoney!!!What Palin crap is she up to now.Leaving Alaska with Todd baby cause he can,t seperate from America??White Trash..

July 4, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  14. Jim from Florida

Please, the only double standard is that which you have imposed on yourself. You have walked away from your duly elected position, turned your back on the state and made a mockery of the process you criticize. Shame, shame on you.

July 4, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  15. ALittleTruth4U

And then the lord smiled down at her and said “Go Sarah and stand upon the rock that is Fox News and lead many by publishing books and starring in thine own right-wing talk show. The followers are restless and need thine leadership. But the evil media did not understand the foreign tongue in which she spoke. Then the apostles Neiman and Marcus wrapped her in swaddling clothes and led her to the light of the higher profit. And then he said “Go and be unencumbered by political blunders, unholy scandal and position thine self to criticize but not be criticized. If ye say it, it shall be true. And she saw that it was good.

July 4, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  16. Mickie

What a crock. This woman is totally delusional.

July 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  17. Barb

I must agree with Sarah Palin on this. I am a registered Democrat but consider myself to be more Independent than anything. While I never would have voted for John McCain's administration, it's not because I'm Democrat... I just didn't feel they were right for the country at this time. Having said this, Sarah Palin has been treated very badly by the media and the GOP from nearly the beginning. Her family has been targeted in disrespectful ways as well and I firmly believe that her decision to resign as Governor was based on what she felt was good for Alaska and her family. She was spending more time trying to defend herself and her family than anyone should have to. I give big kudos to her for doing something so selfless. My level of admiration for her has increased significantly!

July 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  18. Limbaugh is a liberal

Oh, cry me a river, Mrs. Palin! Weren't you the one who couldn't keep quiet, campaigned for president all this time, and now you have the galls to accuse others for all the news stories about you? Every other day you had to run to the media, some talk show, or else, because you just had to be in headlines! We were BEGGING you to stop grabbing the attention. Even the media's grown tired of you! And guess what, for the past week and a half NOBODY wrote a story about you becfause NOBODY CARED! The media had enough stories with celebrity deaths, Mark Sanford, and the coming of the July 4th celebrations! But, no, you still HAD to time your announcement just so that you'd be the top story even this weekend! Hypocrite!

July 4, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. M Vargas

Open Letter to Former Governor Palin,
    Thank god this comedy is in it's closing act. you are right though, Washington and the Media don't understand. And neither do we, Sarah. we don't understand why you left office with a cryptic goodbye and then expected people to understand. we don't understand why are you leaving office at all, although we do understand that your actions today are in the best interests of america because it will finally mean you are no longer in the spot light where we don't have to listen to you and your un-american, divisive rhetoric. It's time to stop whining about the media and washington and realize that for the first time since before Reagan, the government is poised to do something great for this country. we DO understand that you and your neo-con cronies all across america are reaping your just rewards for 40 years of destroying our country, our economy, our constitution, and our liberties. and so we bid farewell to the whining, farewell to the faux midwestern accent, farewell to the hypocrisy, farewell to the wrong family values, farewell to you Sarah. We look forward to you and your state fading back into obscurity where you belong, on the fringes of american society no longer able to claim that you represent the mainstream population that you so clearly do not. We, the mainstream, wish you well in your next endeavors, and ask only that you never again embarrass us all by running for public office in the future.

Warmest Regards

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. crazy palin

I think she is totally nuts. if she wants the media to leave her alone, she should alo shut up.it is like she is asking for trouble. and then be the poor little sarah. pitiful

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  21. Charles

Sarah Palin says the media does not understand. Perhaps she is the one who does not understand. She embarked on a campaign for an office for which she was not qualified. She continues to try to get as much national publicity as she can. Of course the media looks at her differently. She is one of a kind.

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  22. kmiller

as USUAL <<< she does the whine.......... whos got the cheese?

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  23. Bruce Wayne

Yes, so much for the pit bull with lipstick. More like the whiniest dog you can possibly imagine pining for the days when the press was nice to her, which if you remember was that way. She's awfully brazen when the press is on her side, and quick to condemn when she has the feds breathing down her neck. Don't be surprised to hear her and Todd getting supoened soon.

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  24. Joe Mahma

Uhhggg. Just go away already.

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  25. km from va

blah blah blah. If you aren't gonna tell the truth and just spew nonsense and get mad that no one can understand how the hell are you going to "help people?" Just listening to this women I feel myself losing IQ points...

July 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |