July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Tom

There is NO double standard.

Hillary received MUCH worse during her husband's tenure in the White House and during her senate years.

Palin slings mud, and practices "politics of personal destruction" and then turns around and says, "oh, no I didn't".

When someone does something unexpected, or comes off unprepared, as Palin did, it is REASONABLE for the media to question both her and her motives.

Palin is a hypocrite and a light weight... during the campaign she scolded Obama "if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen", and then when she returned to Alaska, she said, "no, no feelings hurt... politics is a rough and tumble sport".

Palin's a national joke, and she's PROJECTING onto the media so they back off.

July 4, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Dennis F

It is understandable that she might want to forgo a second term as governor of Alaska for any number of valid reasons. The problem is that she then goes on to state that she is resigning in the middle of her first term as governor because she does not want to be a ‘Lame Duck’ Governor. That makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

Does that mean that if she runs for president and is elected, that she will forgo re-election rather than serving as a ‘lame duck’ President for those last four years? If so, what is the point of serving those first four years? The moment she took the oath of office without any desire to seek a second term, she would be a ‘lame duck’.

There is nothing about the reasons given for her resignation that makes any sense whatsoever. Even the statement that was made by her spokesperson (not her lawyer) seems to lack a ring of common sense to it. Her spokesperson said that when the Governor returned from her campaign (for VP) and pressed her agenda “she…found resistance”. Her spokesperson went on to say a few other things related to the opposition that he was receiving with regard to her governorship and these were the main reasons that she decided to resign, so that Alaska would not have to be faced with the monetary drain that this was causing.

If she does become President, and her policies are met with resistance by the likes of Kim Jong-il, Hugo Chávez or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad…is she going to resign then rather than face them down????

My opinion of Governor Palin dropped through the floor when she explained that she did not want to be a ‘Lame Duck’ governor. She might as well have been throwing in the towel and there is no reason whatsoever for this country to take a risk that she will not do that again. There are those that think she is a tiger. To me, she is now nothing more than a spineless rag doll.

July 4, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. mark

god just go away already!

July 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. KHughes

Will this loser of a politician ever go away??? Geez enough, it's running neck an neck with the MJ coverarge, that is at nausium, enough people, we have more improtant things to worry about.

July 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. Jeff in Tampa

I find it sad that so many can't just take her at her word.

Is spin and deceit that admired?

I think most wouldn't recognize a statesman (or woman) if their nation depended upon it.

Oh it's time for a change alright.

I think it's a brilliant move, one that only someone truly trying to better the condition of the people in this nation would make.

Happy 4th of July everyone..."our lives, fortunes and sacred honor"...

July 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  6. Foamy

This woman is truly bizarre.... You Betcha!!

July 4, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  7. Patricia Ward

Huh??? She just does not make sense. These arguments certainly wouldn't fly in a logic class:-))

July 4, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  8. Tom

Palinj quit on her state and quit on her commitments.

She didn't even show up for any of her planned July 4th appearances!!!

Yet, she had time to twitter and facebook her "surprise" at the main stream media for them not buying her spin and B.S.?

Palin is incredibly thin-skinned and not cut out for "higher office" or a "higher calling".

Politicians at the national level get low-level sniping, and critics, and the crazies.... REAL POLITICIANS know when to ignore the bottom feeders and the folks raising a ruckus on the fringes.

Heck, even George Bush was able to do that.

Hillary Clinton took much worse for YEARS... the FoxNews channel crapped on her DAILY.

She kept her nose clean, DID HER JOB, and soldiered on, without whining about "the Media".

July 4, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. kal

And why does she always get to play the victim? What about all those people who she is supposed to be serving but is instead *writing* a book and going on shopping sprees. She needs to shut up and take responsibility. How is it noble to quit in the middle of a term and offer no real explanation?

July 4, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  10. lynn in NM

The media understands very well. She is a threat to their way of life, because they can't control her. She would have "stolen" the election if she had been running against Obama. That can not be allowed by the media. Obama was the chosen one, the messiah.

July 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  11. Aaron, Maryland

God bless you Mrs. Palin!
    Happy Fourth of July!
    I look forward to your leadership in the republican party, just as I praised the rise of Michael Steele, Go get 'em!
    God Bless you, and God bless this great nation that I love.

Democrats for Palin to run in 2012!

July 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  12. Morgan

Her writing is as confusing as her babbling speeches. Double Standard? If we knew exactly what she has abandoned her job for maybe we could understand. However as it stands it looks like she is leaving the job to make more money doing something else. Is that country first? Not in my book. My family calls that breaking a committment which means a lot. Its show a lack of respect to break a commitment.

July 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. David Kenyon

"Double Standard"
    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

July 4, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  14. Michael Freed, Santa Fe, NM

Oh WAAAAaaagh!

Ms. Palin plays the "victim" card when it suits her... in between her pot shots at the current Administration and/or the media. She reminds me of the school yard girl bullies who would taunt boys then hide behind their skirts. You can't have it both ways Sarah... either get into the political arena or get the hell out of it. But your dodging in, then running away when the going gets tough proves you to be the amateur that you are. I'm waiting for the REAL reason you left office to emerge.... and it will. It's time for you to stand up and face the music instead of crying "foul" every time things get tough. YOU are the one with the double-standard Sarah... you can throw the punches but you can't take the hits.

July 4, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  15. Bill Obama

Letterman I am still waiting for you to starting eating soap on your show for the remark you said aboutPalin's daughter. Your pocket book and bank account shoud be smaller! Letterman had a shotgun wedding when your girlfriend had child. Letterman you have nerve!! Zip it up!!!!!

Palin took alot of heat during campaign. I am a woman. It is time that a woman is president. It is mostly men who hold seats in Washington. That is why the country and world is in the mess it is in.

Obama was elected on the platform of change. The only change is that us white folks put him in under false promises. I hope in four years there is a strong candidate who will send Obama back to Chicago. The Obamas are enjoying the good life on us taxpayers while many lost jobs and are losing their homes.

Obama should of started bailing out the taxpayers not executives of these big companies that contributed to his campaign.

July 4, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  16. Like Whatever

She's a lame duck governor who has spent more time whining and pointing fingers while looking to grab the spotlight whenever she can. I dare her to run for president, she needs a good humbling. On center stage. What a joke this woman is, I feel very bad for the mess she has obviously left Alaska in.

July 4, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  17. Juge

We are the victims of your abusive behaviour!

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  18. Tom

Any time anyone criticizes Palin, she complains that she is a victim. Meanwhile, she does almost nothing but criticize other people, despite the fact that her own ideas and accomplishments are few, far between, and usually wrong. I do wish her and her family well in their private lives, and I hope they stay completely out of public service from here on out. Go on over to Faux News, Sarah, where I will never hear from you again because I know better than to listen to them.

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  19. Kathy

No way Sarah Palin wrote that statement without help. It's too coherent.

She thinks she "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two." What an arrogant thing to claim. The reality is that now that when Alaska was rolling in federal money, she could do just about anything she wanted to do and could come out looking like a heroine. Now, when Alaska needs someone to get through financially difficult times, Sarah is throwing in the towel. She either can't or doesn't know how to make tough decisions. She certainly doesn't want to be seen as someone who made unpopular decisions.

Hate to break it to ya, Sarah, but that's hardly presidential material. Quitters are losers, you betcha.

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. Peter E

BTW, if she likes to avoid attention at all costs, why did she purposely timed her great announcement for the 4th of July weekend? Didn't the media already have enough stories about Michael Jackson, or Gov. Sanford already? The media would have left her alone if she just stopped talking!

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  21. joel palmer

Of course it's always about Sarah; she can dish it out but can seem to take it.

Quitters never win

Winners never quit

There's no double standard; except in her alleged mind; the sooner she fades into well-deserved obscurity, the better

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  22. debbie

go away already!

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  23. Anonymous

""How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make."

WHAT IS YOUR HIGHER CALLING? While it's somewhat obvious that she's quitting so she can raise money/focus on her 2012 presidential run, she never has SAID why she's resigning. She just resigned without explaining what she's doing, and then she expects the media not to question her. Typical brilliant Palin move.

There's no double standard. Just a single moron.

July 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  24. garofulaar

Higher calling? What a pompous fool. Doesn't she have anyone to edit her speeches?

It's also ironic that she doesn't understand the meaning of the word ironic.

July 4, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. the educator

Palin is an 'idiotress', exposed for her shortsighted and uneducated points of view at every turn during the McCain campaign. If she was in touch with reality, she'd start modeling clothes or working for cover girl. They don't require knowledge in areas like, economics, foreign affairs, history, sociology and simple common sense. If running for President is her primay goal, she should bring her kids every step of the way because if she does not, she's truly two-faced in her political philosophy. It's like the old saying about Wall-Street folk who spend countless hours engineering financial tools that circumvent regulation and risk or pretend to prognositcate the next bear or bull run in the markets – 'there are people who don't know and there are people who don't know they don't know'. She is clueless about running for President and really is not in the know about much.

July 4, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |