July 4th, 2009

Palin: 'The media will never understand'

Sarah Palin blasted the 'main stream media' in a July 4 message posted on Facebook.

(CNN) – In an Independence Day message to supporters, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she was leaving office for a "higher calling" and blasted the "main stream media" for failing to understand her decision.

"How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country," she said in a message posted on her Facebook page. "And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family."

Palin said her administration had "accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two."

"We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most," she said. "And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources."

Although Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell told CNN Friday he was "surprised" by Palin's decision, the Alaska governor said Saturday that she had been consulting with him and with her family for months, and had made "administrative changes over that course of time in preparation for yesterday."

She also thanked Sen. John McCain for his "kind, insightful comments."

The Arizona senator released a statement earlier Saturday saying he had been "deeply honored" to campaign with his former vice presidential candidate, and predicting Palin would continue to play "an important leadership role" in the Republican Party.

Full text of Palin's message:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Anonymous

I htink

July 4, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  2. arg

It looks like she is to arrogant and thin skined to realize just how self-centered she is. Her biggest problem is the large space between her ears.

I wonder if she expects to be indicted for something that we do not know about yet.

July 4, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  3. Kenneth

She's just upset that instead of applying a double standard to others, one is being applied to her. If I still had any respect for John McCain before, it is gone now with his continued show of support for this nitwit.

July 4, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  4. Ken in NC

I agree with Gov. Palin that her family should have been off limits but then she must consider that almost every time she made an appearance, her family was with her and as such, the media is going to zero in on this with some being positive and some negative. While I am not a Palin supporter, I feel the attacks on her family were out of line. As far as attacks on her, well many decisions made by the Gov. seemed to have been made without giving long range thought to them. Often times her organization seemed to be in two different ball parks when it came to speaking on behalf of the Gov. Gov. Palin also appears to have an organizational problem when it comes to making decisions on her appearances. While planners make long range plans, Gov. Palin does not seem to be able to plan much further than a couple of days in the future and this is not good for one aspiring to the highest office in the land. Gov. Palin needs to take some time off to bring herself up to speed on world issues as it is easily seen by the public that she has often found herself at a disadvantage in interviews. It is a big negative when "John Q Public" can see that she is BS'ing her way through a question.

July 4, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  5. Willa

Ughhh...she just irks me everytime I see or hear her speak.

July 4, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  6. Mergie

Palin is sharp as a bowling ball...

July 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  7. Emma

Sarah, why do you think a different standard is applied to you. It looks like your narcissistic ways are to show others how wonderful you are and how you should have your way all the time to look good.

Your speech was punctuated with self-importance and the anger that comes up when others see you differently.

July 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  8. Jack Jett

She is becoming a professionl victim.

July 4, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  9. abraxis

There is no doubt that sexism played a large part in Palin's political downfall. Yet, she did not help matters much for being so freaking stupid. Don't worry, the GOP will nominate her for the 2012 presidential election.

July 4, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. economist

Never trust *anyone* who attacks the press, especially politicians.

July 4, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  11. kssPalin didn’t like Hillary Clinton’s ‘perceived whine.’ During a Newsweek Women & Leadership Event in Los Angeles last March, Sarah Palin said this about Hillary Clinton: I say this with all due respect to Hillary Clinton…but when I

" I say this with all due respect to Hillary Clinton…but when I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism or you know maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think you know that doesn’t do us any good – women in politics, women in general wanting to progress this country."

July 4, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  12. Deb

Motherhood is a higher calling.
    A deeper journey into religion is a higher calling.
    Fulfilling some longstanding goal is a higher calling.
    Knowing how to better the world, and actually following through is a higher calling.

Taking a job at Fox...um, no. Just no.

July 4, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  13. Tammy

So why did she run for governor in the first place?! Gibberish, incoherence, absolutely weird. No way is this person qualified for any public service position.

July 4, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  14. Siara

Wow. Sarah Palin has a "higher calling"- unlike the rest of us dweebs who are just trying our best to be good with our loved ones and our jobs. Of course we can't understand HER.

This self aggrandizing is convinced that she's on the road to sainthood.

July 4, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  15. cs

why does she think she is smarter than the media and Washington? she says she has accomplished so much is one term, but yet she will not serve her entire term, what would make people vote for her in the future if they know she has a record of not serving the full term? it seems there is much more to this story,,,,

July 4, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. JJ

Good God – will this person PLEASE go away

July 4, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  17. Dr. Russle

The wheels on her barbie wagon just came off folks.

July 4, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  18. susan

politicians like Palin and Gingrich, forces me to stay with Dems; no matter how Obama policies destroys USA.

July 4, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  19. thetruthisoutthere

Let's just see how visible she is and how much money she raises now. Sorry gov, unless you join Jimmy Carter and build houses for Habitat For Humanity, i think this is all about Sarah and not a higher calling. Maybe you could start by donating the huge sum from your book deal to charity if you want to be believed.

July 4, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  20. Bassman

I understand her legal counsel has also made a statement on the politics of personal destruction. That is the untold story. And its ugly if the media ever decides to tell it. It saddens me that those of us who live in small towns accross central U.S.A. are riduculed by east/ west coast people. Thank You, CNN for posting this facebook statement.

July 4, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Machiavelli, Baton Rouge, LA

Should this woman be a mainstream politician? After all, it was reported by McCain aides that she put on a quasi-burlesque show when she came out of her hotel bathroom donning nothing but a towel. Is this the Marilyn Monroe show we expect from our national politicians, even if they are attractive? Furthermore, she has a teenage taughter who became an unwed mother before completing high school. Could anybody imagine if a seventeen-year-old Obama daughter had done something like this? I can say with certitude that his campaign would never have gotten out of the starting gate. This kind of behavior reflects on the parenting skillos of Todd and Sarah Palin, but she (Palin) does not want to accept this. She would criticize the hell out of any other politician whose daughter had done the same, saying that the politician would not be fit for high office. Why should we feel any differently about her? Yes, I think the media is biased toward her because they do not see the kind of mainstream mother-politician example exuding from this woman. These are just human tendencies that cannot be avoided and Sarah Palin must accept that. She made decisions, and allowed her daughter to make decisions that did not reflect good on the governor of Alaska, and that is just fact. Therefore, Palin should quit the griping and get on with life because without McCain, she would still be an unknown governor from the state of Alaska.

July 4, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. Siara

This self aggrandizing twit is convinced that she's on the road to sainthood.

July 4, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  23. Amy

Give me a break! Double standard is only brought to the forefront when a woman has nothing to offer. Sarah Palin is textbook example of lack of skill and knowledge. How is it she knows about double standards but can't recite an amendment or newspaper?

An educated American Woman

July 4, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  24. Ava from Florida

Of course there is more to this.Her political and emotional immaturity reminds me of high school cheerleading quarrels. McCain and Rove unleashed a problem by selecting a non tested candidate last year and now the RNC doesn't know how to handle her. She rattled a shrinking base and plans on cloaking herself in the bible and neo con views. Maybe she will end up on Fox News, return to college,run for president,or write her memoirs–either way we really need to stop focusing on this self absorbed person.

July 4, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. SamSunny

Huh? This woman talks in double speak that says nothing. No one has any idea what she is planning to do. If she wants respect then she needs to be right up front and honest. I have never heard anyone who speaks in circles as much as Sarah and says absolutely nothing.

July 4, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |