July 5th, 2009

State of the Union: Did Palin make the right move?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Three of CNN's political contributors weighed in Sunday as pols and pundits alike continued to try to digest the implications of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's surprise announcement that will she will step down later this month.

In deciding to leave office early, Democratic strategist Donna Brazile said, on CNN's State of the Union, that Palin has made "a very risky decision."

"She's jumping out of the frying pan into the hot glare of the media spotlight, into the fire. And she has the potential of flaming out before 2012," Brazile said.

"She needs to manage her next 15 minutes of fame a lot better than she has done over the last year of being on [sic] the national spotlight," Brazile added, suggesting that Palin should take her newfound free time to write her book, to give public speeches and to "have an opportunity to learn a little bit more about foreign policy."

Republican strategist Ed Rollins, who supported Mike Huckabee's failed 2008 presidential bid, slammed Palin's resignation announcement.

"I think Friday was a disaster for her," Rollins told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King, "both in the sense that she was very incoherent in articulating what it is – why she was quitting and what she wanted to do with it.

"As I always say, you call press conferences to answer questions – not to basically raise questions."

Rollins also said Sunday that without the benefit of finishing out term of governor, Palin will have "a partial record . . . that is very incomplete" should she mount a bid for the White House in 2012 as some suspect she is planning to do.

Conservative talk show host Bill Bennett disagreed with Rollins and Brazile about the wisdom of Palin's decision.

"To political pros this may be a problem. To the base, I'm not sure it's a problem at all," Bennett said, noting how difficult it would have been for Palin to run for president from Alaska while maintaining all of her gubernatorial duties in the state. "Well, she won't have that problem now."

"'Flame out,' 'disaster' – I think it's too early to say that," added Bennett.

But the three agreed on one thing – that Friday would've been a good opportunity for South Carolina's Republican Gov. Mark Sanford to bow out of office amid a seemingly never-ending scandal over his extramarital affair.

"You could argue this weekend the wrong governor resigned. You know, it should have been Sanford. She should have hung on for a number of reasons," Bennett told King.

Rollins said Sanford "has lost any effectiveness" in South Carolina.

"I have to agree with both gentlemen," added Brazile.

Updated: 7:05 p.m.

Filed under: Mark Sanford • Sarah Palin • State of the Union
  1. k1080

Every day she seems to confuse me more and more. She must be an intellegent woman, her actions do not make her seem so.

When Senator McCain named her as his running mate, I thought good, she spoke well, no one knew her. I felt sorry for her, due to the fact that I thought the McCain did not let her speak out, I know why now.

Who knows she may have something in the works and she will laugh all the way to the bank. LOL

July 5, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  2. Charlie in Maine

It folows a pattern. It is a pattern that has made her one of the most recognized figures in America. But being recognized and being elected are two different things. That being said she really doesn't have to prove a thing to me. I would not vote for her for anything ever but she knopws that. To the people she wants this might seem like a good idea,

July 5, 2009 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  3. Sue

when will the other shoe drop?

July 5, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  4. ronie patrick

I think Sarah Palin did the right thing and who cares about what she does anyway. It has been over for her a very long time ago. Maybe she will attend someone's school and get some learning. I am glad to see her go and don't come back Sarah.

July 5, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  5. OOOONOOOO Not Again

You cannot force something that is fake. Palin was a fake and everyone knew it. She is not educated, looks smart but is not and you see that in her final act. Now she is a poor excuse for the GOP and they know it. Now she is money hungry (husband does not work) and she is going to go after the almighty dollar. Next for Palin. NOTHING.

July 5, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  6. DB25

Her political choices aren't making sense to most people it seems. I still don't think she's ready for primetime, and I really wonder if she ever will be. She's probably better suited for her own show on FOX news – and not much more.

July 5, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  7. ronie patrick

First of all I did not understand a thing she was saying when she shaid she was leaving. Second of all she did the country a big favor. I feel sad for the foolish woman. I pray for her sake that she does not try and run for anything but her life. I can't stand the stupid uneducated woman. A real complete fool is what she is. People get a life and let Sarah be Sarah and move on to something else. Sarah is not important to anyone but God and that is the only person she should be. Let it go and let her be on her way doing whatever she thinks she needs to do.

July 5, 2009 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This shows that Palin can't handle elected office of anything larger than a small town. She had to have know that getting involved in national politics of any kind would have her family exposed to the spot light. I hope that she can understand that this not finishing a term shows to me that she can't handle any national office (complete term or not). She has also shown herself to be an ideologue and not understanding of the various policies and histories of them in the country are. She doesn't study; she fails to follow the advice that Newt Gingrich gave to me once in an airport - keep reading!

July 5, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Annie

You betcha!....Now, she needs to stay out!

July 5, 2009 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  10. ELLIE

What a mess the GOP has become.

July 5, 2009 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  11. Miguel

Brilliant move and brilliant speech. God Bless Sarah. She is a force to be reckoned with and scares the hell out of the left wing. By by BO.

July 5, 2009 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  12. LuckyEp

Sarah has been circling the drain for months....she's done.

July 5, 2009 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  13. Buddy Gilmour

Rollins is correct, it ends Palin as a viable candidate for the immediate future and possibly forever. But that does not mean she won't try, and if she does then the person she hurts most is Huckabee because her support, like his, comes (only!) from the "base". But I really think she is done with politics, which it appears has not been fun for her. I see her moving on to a career as a political celebrity and a job as a host or commentator in television or radio.

July 5, 2009 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  14. Rob from Texas

She is done with Politics, this is probably the best thing that can happen for the Republican Party. Being a Moderate Republican family ourselves we never supported her and never will, she simply has no Political knowledge and now that she's out of Politics she will have even less. Good riddens.

July 5, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  15. Jerry

Pundits and politicos are so busy analyzing this from some kind of tactical or strategic point of view that they may very well be missing the point. In spite of what the bloggers and haters would have one believe, Sarah Palin is in fact, a human being. Those of us who have actually breathed the air outside the Beltway understand that she is also a mother and wife. It is just barely conceivably possible that her decision is [gasp] a personal one, and isn't some part of a grand strategic plan to completely bumfuzzle the Obama administration. Time will tell, but if that is the case, it will certainly be amusing to watch the Palin-haters try to wrestle with the concept of her having a real life.

July 5, 2009 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |