July 6th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts
  1. Limbaugh is a liberal

Cue GOP's hypocritic bashing of celebrities and how they don't know what 'real' America is like in 3, 2, 1...

Unlike the vast majority of DC congressmen, Baldwin had poor parents, actually worked real jobs and lived paycheck to paycheck before making it big!

July 6, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Dom

Didn't this man state he was thinking of moving out of the country, because George Bush was elected president?

July 6, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Sam

NO...he is to hot headed with a bad temper...Can't stand him!

July 6, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. RODAN

OMG! I love Alec Balwin...but as a congressman?
    How many Actors, comedians,and talk show hosts am I going to have to scratch off my list because they want to tumble into the world of politics...

Shut up and dance, sing or tell a joke..or get off the stage! I could care less about Alec Baldwin's politics....Geeesh!

July 6, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. DelbertMcJustice

"Why not an actor,,, we already have a clown!"
    Wait a minute; sorry, that one was used awhile back.

July 6, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  6. Eric

If Mr. Baldwin were truly a man of his word, then would he not be running for political office in Canada by now? I'm actually no fan of his politics, but any actor who is willing to actually run for office and become a professional politician (thereby putting their money where their mouth is) is worthy of some measure of... respect or pity, I can't decide which.

July 6, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  7. Zach

media + democracy = mediocracy.

July 6, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  8. Kenny

Please run Alec......get Peter King out of the congress.

July 6, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  9. David

Alec, run against that King person so we have someone to vote for. We want him out of office.

July 6, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  10. Johnny DC

Everybody rent Team America, if you a relatively fair unbiased opinion of this man. That, or ask his daughter.

July 6, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  11. Tom

Baldwin seems like a great guy and has long shown strong commitment as a good liberal. I hope he runs and wins.

July 6, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  12. Jim in Asheville

Is this really a new story? Looks like an Entertainment Tonight piece. Mr. Baldwin, you are correct. Those "guys" will have a field day with you. I imagine talk radio will begin campaign stories about you by playing your infamous phone rant with your daughter. Please spare us (and yourself).

July 6, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  13. Jim in Asheville

Is this really a news story? Looks like an Entertainment Tonight piece. Mr. Baldwin, you are correct. Those "guys" will have a field day with you. I imagine talk radio will begin campaign stories about you by playing your infamous phone rant with your daughter. Please spare us (and yourself).

July 6, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  14. Former Republican Never Again

The bar has been set so low anyone and their dog can run for national office. Put lipstick on a pig and you have a political candidate, or even a former governor running for president.

July 6, 2009 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  15. Charlie in Maine

Some people would have instant support just because of who they are : Chuck Norris for President of Texas (oh please leave the Union the sooner the better) comes to mind. So could Alec Baldwin win in New York? You betcha wink wink.

July 6, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  16. RR

so he's just going to chose some random state, establish citizenship then run for office thinking the people of that state or district would vote for an outsider opportunist like that?

He better stick to NY. They don't mind outsiders like RFK and Clinton using their state for their political careers.

July 6, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  17. Terry from West Texas

Oh good. Another actor.

I was worried that some political scientist, historian, philosopher, economist, legal scholar, Nobel Prize winner, or social scientist might want to run for office.

July 6, 2009 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. Nick

Please, not Alec Baldwin...

July 6, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  19. Dale

Please do it. One by one we'll get them out.

July 6, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  20. Art Michaelson

Go Al Go.

July 6, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  21. Hopeful Optimist

I know his political bent. I'd vote for him. We need more like him.

July 6, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  22. Charlie

Oh crap....we should learn from Arnold and California!

July 6, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  23. JD

The distinguished gentleman from LA-LA land got it right when he said "It's all fantasy". The democratic party is "all fantasy". You have the newly elected joke from Minnesota, Stuart Smalley and you have the joke of a president, B.O. that thinks we need to go into debt to fund sunflower research in Kansas (see spendulous program). The only problem is none of this is funny.

July 6, 2009 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  24. Barb

This is a man that treats his children really bad, and then use's his wife as an excuse. Yea he should be in congress. Anyone that treats woman and children badly will do good in congress..........go america.

July 6, 2009 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |