July 6th, 2009

Jackson fans rally against Peter King

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Angry at Rep. Peter King's sharp criticism of Michael Jackson, a fan of the late pop icon is trying to raise money to defeat the nine-term Republican from New York in 2010.

"This guy was a pervert, he was a child molester, he was a pedophile," King said about Jackson in a video posted on YouTube.

As of 6:40 p.m. ET, 13 donors had contributed $305 through the online fundraising Web site ActBlue. The unnamed organizer of the effort said the donations would be forwarded to the Democratic nominee for the seat.

"Peter King ought to let Jackson rest in peace, and focus on the needs of his constituents," the organizer wrote on the Web site. "As we mourn the loss of an American legend, political grandstanding is not what we need right now!"

Filed under: Michael Jackson • Peter King
  1. just asking for it

kick the man (Jackson) after he has died

are you stupid?

really don't want to get re-elected do you

July 6, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  2. pervert, child molester, pedophile

is he describing the GOP?

July 6, 2009 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  3. mike

The truth hurts.

July 6, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  4. Doyle Wiley, MI

I guess King doesn't believe a person is innocent until proven guilty.

July 6, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  5. dana west

we have a system in place, where people are innocent until proven guilty, in reality Rep King does not have any faith in the system he's supposed to represent, and to say there is nothing good about this guy is a blind ignorant comment.

July 6, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  6. Limbaugh is a liberal

I think Peter King just needs to be ignored. His comments are hypocritical and don't amount to anything.
    Oh yes, and welcome to America where you're guilty until proven innocent! Not once was there any real evidence presented against Jackson that held up to scrutiny. Republicans especially like to accuse others of indecent conduct just to cover their own scandalous lives!

July 6, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. David, Newark

This is exactly why the Republicans will never rule over sane Americans' lives again.

July 6, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. Chloe

rep king is sounding as though he were present at the time of the alleged charges, if not then house in the world is he so sure of Mr. Jackson's crimes???
    what a closed minded fool!
    it's kind of pitiful that he missed the entire message that Michael Jackson tried to bring to us, that of love and compassion.
    RIP MJ love you

July 6, 2009 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  9. Aklaea Davis

Where can I contribute to Mr. King's political champaign? Finally someone with the courage to state what so many of us are feeling. CNN refuses to report this point of view. Trust me, Mr. King is not alone!

July 6, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. Mike

Peter King was just speaking the truth regardless of how unpoplular that might be to some. Spewing hatred towards the messenger doesn't affect the underlying truth to the message. I do not think the timing was very good however. Many of the same people who felt Michael was weird and made jokes about him are now sobbing like they lost their messiah. It is at best, an odd thing to watch. I enjoy his music very much but I didn't know him personally. Therefore, while his death is very sad to hear about, some people might want to do a reality check.

July 6, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  11. Laughing32

With as many fans as Michael Jackson has, stating a negative opinion of him seems like career suicide. You could argue that he is only voicing his opinion and he's intitled to that. I'd say "you're right" but almost all of Michael Jacksons fans are of voting age and are now pissed to no end over those opinions. Not very wise.....in my opinion.

July 6, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Please, you fans know what Michael was... a clown and a freak. MJ couldn't stand to be black, so he changed his body color and then his face, several times! Is this who you think is a hero in your eyes? The heros are the men and women fighting for your freedom. There were several black great entertainers, singers and dancers before MJ and many more to come in the future. Think about that......

July 6, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. Kenny

What kind of values does Peter King claim to represent when he is insulting a man who just died? Why could he not wait until he was buried and the mourning was over before launching into this callous tirade? Doesn't he realize he has children and a family that are distraught right now.He is just a typical Republican that seems to believe meanness is a sign of strength. I hear he is considering running for statewide office, I hope he loses big and I for one will vote for whoever runs against him.

July 6, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  14. VOTER

I want to contrIbute TO THIS FUND AND HELP KICK Rep King OUT OFF OFFICE.

July 6, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  15. RR

jackson fans are in danger of becoming more ridiculous than elvis worshippers

July 6, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  16. Michelle

I am from New York and I am against King!

July 6, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  17. janis

I am over the coverage, but more so the disrespect of a deceased human being. This guy obviously just wants attention. And he is clearly out of touch with the world as he underestimates Jacksons legacy while overestimating his relevance. If you cant speak well of the departed, it is best to remain quiet. Believe that.

July 6, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  18. Jesus Juice

Dude, take a chill. What did Mr. Jackson ever do to you? Michael loved little children (maybe a little too much, but that's neither here nor there). And, you're forgetting, at least one of the two children's mother intentionally set up Michael and put him in a compromising position, for financial gain. But Michael never hurt anybody. Your leveling personal attacks against him is only making YOU look bad, not him. Besides, Michael's dead, he's not here to defend himself, and, you should learn to respect the deceased and their families.

July 6, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  19. never surprised

you are pitiful and so out of touch. knuckleheads, they so easily self destruct. Thanks, this should secure your next political loss.
    "thou doth protest too much".' Insensitive republicans, your like the gift that keeps on giving, did i say thanks, you give statesmanship a
    whole new meaning. Democrats couldn't create such great PR if they
    tried and why should they when you so freely make yourselves look
    stupid. I wonder what percentage of Michael Jackson fans are registered
    voters in your district ? Politics 101, try to offend as few people as possible when people VOTE for you to have a job! and you SERVE
    people.

July 6, 2009 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  20. mary

The media has gone a little overboard on the coverage of MJ.
    Enough already, I hope they let it go after Tuesday.

July 6, 2009 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  21. JohnnyBoy

You know, it's America and King has the right to say whatever he wants. But personally, I think he's politically grandstanding. I don't like Mr. Jackson, never have, never will. But why does every Republican have to turn EVERYTHING into "honoring our troops"? I'm surprised that they haven't said something like "we shouldn't be worrying about jobs being lost, when our troops are dying for our freedom." I am 100% behind our troops and support them fully...my brother is in Iraq, of course, I support them. But even he gets sick and tired of politicians trying to benefit from being "patriotic Americans honoring our heroes." (His words, a soldier, not mine...so don't blame me!)

July 6, 2009 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. Carol

Very offensive, repugnant and unforgivable! It’s also very discouraging that this man is a lawmaker but yet he does not believe in the judicial system that aquitted Michael on all charges! I’m over 50 and this heartbreaking loss has hit me like a ton of bricks! Music is very powerful, and has caused many changes in society that politics could not. The positive message of Michael’s music has impacted each of us in someway, and our collective grieving at losing him is very appropriate.
    And the Republicans wonder why they are losing all the young people! DUH,?? GO FIGURE!!!

July 6, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  23. Jillie

For heavens sake...Americans really need to evaluate their priorities when it comes to real American heros.

July 6, 2009 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  24. ligaer

Wow! this Peter guy, what's his last name? King? I think he cuddles his grandchildren too. And who wage wars around the world causing this huge recession? R e p u b l i c a n s!!!

July 6, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. billj

As I understand it the county the Neverland Ranch was in is very conservative, many people there objected to the steam train operating at any hour day or night with its steam whistle etc. Yet these people when they had their chance to pay MJ back for lost sleep and behavior that upset them were unable by the evidence to find guilt. Rep. King may one day hope his peers are able to do the same.

July 6, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |