July 6th, 2009

Rep. King on Jackson: 'There's nothing good about this guy'

(CNN) – New York Rep. Peter King called on the media to "knock out the psycho-babble" and stop covering Michael Jackson because "this guy was a pervert."

"He was a child molester. He was a pedophile. And to be giving this much coverage to him day in and day out, what does it say about us as a country," King said Sunday in front of the American Legion Hall in Wantagh. "We're too politically correct. No one wants to stand up and say, 'We don't need Michael Jackson.'"

King, a nine-term Republican representative from New York's Third Congressional District, said the media has "disgraced itself," noting that there are people dying everyday.

"There are men and women dying today in Afghanistan. Let's give them the credit they deserve," he added.

Jackson went on trial for child molestation allegations in 2005, but was acquitted after a 14-week media circus of a trial in Santa Maria, California. A decade earlier, prosecutors in Los Angeles declined to file charges in their own 13-month child molestation investigation. That case settled out of court, reportedly with Jackson paying millions in damages.

"There's nothing good about this guy. He may have been a good singer, did some dancing, but bottom-line is - would you let your child or grandchild be in the same room with Michael Jackson? What are we glorifying him for?" King said, asking instead that the public honor people like servicemen, teachers and firefighters.

King defended his comments in an interview Monday with CNN radio affiliate WOR, “The fact is that what he has done as far as young children are concerned, young boys are concerned, is a horrible example to set to the world.”

“…Anyone who causes evil or endangers children, to me that supersedes anything else. And do we as a culture really want to be defined by Michael Jackson's singing and dancing or by the fact that he became a worldwide spectacle for abuse of children? “

King was chairman of the powerful House Homeland Security Committee from 2005 until the Democrats took over the House in January 2007.

He won 64 percent of the vote in his re-election victory last November.

Earlier this year he said he was considering a run for the Senate next year, taking on Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand, who replaced Hillary Clinton as New York's junior senator.

Filed under: Michael Jackson • Peter King
  1. Michael

Rep. King is an idiot. Michael had nothing to do with politics, wasn't convicted of anything. His life and death has nothing to do with any war anywhere and his attempting to link Michaels death to our soldiers is an insult to them and all veterans. Having served in our military for 40 years I learned to recognise idiots who try to use our military for personal gain. I repeat King is an idiot.

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  2. lsr

Thank you. It's about time someone spopke then truth.

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  3. Glen H. Bremer

I have been wanting to say exactly that but knew it wouldn't get past my front door. Run for the senate, Pete I wish I could vote for you/

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  4. Larissa

*stands & applauds

It's about time someone in a position of authority said it! I've been emailing CNN about it for a week now. Thank you, Rep. King.

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  5. Unconcerned Citizen

What a fool! Jackson was the most influential person in history!

Really, what is this guy thinking? Who cares about North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Afganistan, the economy, etc.!

Let's focus on what really matters people!

I can't believe Obama didn't cancel his trip to Russia to attend the memorial. How callous!

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  6. Lstrm

I agree that the media has gone way overboard on Michael Jackson coverage. I agree that I would have been uncomfortable having him care for one of my kids. But, I highly respect Jackson's artistry and think that Rep. King was out of line. His words aren't going to change a thing. Why's he stirring the pot?

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  7. PissedOff

Did this Peter King know Michael Jackson? It has been proven AFTER Michael's death that he was innocent & just an easy target for his money. I hope this King loser NEVER wins another race. Why doesn't he work with President Obama to help get this Country out of this MESS that his GOP PARTY BUSH put the ENTIRE County in. The media can report on Michael Jackson atleast they are doing their job. YOU are suppose to be doing what OUR taxpaying dollars pay you to do & NOT commenting on Michael Jackson. We are at WAR because of BUSH & THE GOP. Show some RESPECT for Michael's kids & family. I am quite sure your closet isn't empty.
    Get a life.

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  8. zip

He's right ! Wouldn't want to deminish the high moral values of the GOP.Kick Michael to the curb and gutter when he is dead.We want nothing but the saints of the GOP in the headlines.

July 6, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. Spartan

As a lawmaker if one is found not guilty how can you consistently defame Micheal Jackson even in death? This is a shameful and imprudent act of sacrilege. The GOP has nothing to offer but negativity and this is why even in death Micheal Jackson is more alive than the entire GOP put together.

10. Captainwim

Totally correct. It is time we start honoring the people who deserve it.

11. Jim

Much as I hate to say it, he's got a very valid point. And I'm a yellow dog Democrat, who wouldn't pour water on the Republican Party if they were on fire...

The guy was a pervert whose millions were used to buy his way out of trouble.

At the end of the day, he was a pedophile– a talented one, with an amazing gift, but a pedophile nonetheless.

12. Barb Leach

Mr. King, I must say I am glad I don't live where my vote would count for your re-election. Everyone had a opinion but Michael Jackson was found "not guilty" of the crimes you say he is quilty of.

13. Mike

Man wasn't found guilty there was no evidence of anything so why do people insist on calling him a child molester. I want King to name a teacher, firefighter or military person that influenced millions of people. Yeah service members should get more credit for what they do i was in the service myself but its the government that screws us not the public, he needs to do more research on that.

14. c. mullen

I couldn't agree more – - the media coverage is a disgrace.

15. Summer Hawkins-Smith

How dare he say this! First of all, Michael was acquitted of ALL charges! Second, the "victim" even said that it was a lie and a scam! For all the good Michael did in this country! For all the hundreds of thousands probably millions he has donated, at least in death give him his due! There are more fans of Michael Jackson in this country than foes and this man needs to be quiet and allow us to mourn and celebrate the life of an extraordinary musician, humanitarian, and human being!

16. Ed

Not really a Michael Jackson fan or follower but I believe in America we have a phrase that is termed,"you are inncoent until proven guilty". From my understanding he was found not guilty in a court of law.

To me this is a little low very low for New York Rep. Peter King to be commenting on something that I am sure he has little or no knowledge of. Why would a person of his office even get into a pissing match and make accusations about him after he is dead and gone. A low blow if you ask me.

Also to the men and women in uniform, we do think about your sacrificies and don't need New York Rep. Peter King to act as our moral reminder!

17. Dbow Queen City

No respect for the deceased... Gotta love those conservative values.

18. Babs

Well, what is the choice? I read about and enjoy reading about the creative MJ. Who does the rep want us to read about, Ms. Palin? Is it hard to decide who one will read about in the news of the day?

19. Mike b

@ Rep. King, Micheal has done more in charity work for New York than you, and you live there. You are a disgrace to New York.

20. unvme

Perhaps Peter needs to do some research about MJ, because there were a lot of good things that MJ did. Maybe Peter King was thinking about Larry Craig and Mark Stanford when he made those comments

21. Claude V. D'Unger

The guilty dog barks loudest.

22. Curious Jan

I wonder if he felt the same way when Elvis died? He was what a glorified and known drug user?

23. Helen

Thank you for telling the truth.

24. lsr

Thank you. It is about time someone spoke the truth.

25. aliisha

MJ may have been weird, and have done a lot of things that are questionable.. but there is no doubt in my mind as well as many others that MJ was extored.. We know he is innocent...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12