July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Kevin in Ohio

@MEL IN florida July 7th, 2009 10:32 am ET

It's allright, after all Reagan was an actor
    ________________________________________

I knew Ronald Reagan..... and HE...IS...NO..... RONALD REAGAN.

July 7, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Lisa, OH

Anyone with a temper like Alec's should not be in the public arena. I hope he stays in the entertainment industry. I really do.

July 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Phil

LOL – he can campaign by hosting SNL a few dozen more times!

July 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  4. matt

Marcy July 7th, 2009 11:04 am ET

Alec, come to New Jersey, you got my vote!

Yes, please run in new jersey. You'll fit in well there. How many people from New Jersey were killed on 9/11, and yet still elect democrap politicians (New York, too). Most of you deserve the thugs that lead you.

July 7, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. I give up

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

You think Lieberman is a Republican. Take a look at how often he voted with the Democrats in the senate – over 80% of the time.

If you still think he is a republican, then you lack credibility.

July 7, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. sifto77

Not another Franken! Give me a break....

July 7, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. Penny

The Senate has become a true circus.

July 7, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. You had your window Repubs, and you blew it!

Wasn't Lord Reagan an actor too?

Yup, he was.

July 7, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. SYD

Oh yes, this is what we need!! He is qualified, because he is an actor. No experience is necessary. America's leadership needs people who get paid to read other people's words and pretend to be something that they are not.

July 7, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Debby

Another brainless empty suit.

July 7, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Tom Paine

The abusive answering machine messages Baldwin left for his daughter would make a great campaign commercial.

July 7, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. JL EX Minnesotan

He should run in Minnesota! They love people who think Americans Lives and money are a joke. We need more people like this clown! You people are nuts!

July 7, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. Willy Brown

Ain't no way this douche bag gets elected dog catcher let alone governor of Ohio.

July 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. Sally

I like Baldwin. He is real but all too abrasive. Just the same, I trust him to be himself which is more than I can say for most politicians. It's hard to dig up fodder on someone whose foibles are so public. He might actually stand a chance at being elected if he doesn't offend his base... which he might.

July 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Josh

If you're serious about going into politics, why begin with Playboy magazine?

July 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Ken

Hey Mike and Independent: looks like Alec and thousands of other people returned to America once Democracy was re-established this past Nov. Unfortunately for you and the remnant [R] party, these people probably raised the average IQ of the country by 5 points.

July 7, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Sick -n- Tired

"I'm not a political figure but, I do play one on television" Oh, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night as well. Get Real!

July 7, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Carl

At least we will finally know what the government did with the Red October...

July 7, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  19. Brian

I'm still holding out for Christopher Walken...

July 7, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |