July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. No Incumbents 2010

He could run against Rep. Peter King.

July 7, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. phoenix86

Baldwin would be an absolute joke. I guess after Franken, any fool can be a Congressman or Senator.

July 7, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. jayme

If Palin thinks she is a viable candidate for the presidency of the US of A, then Alec is over qualified should I say qualified enough for a congressional seat.

July 7, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  4. John, Brooklyn, New York

Heck...its American politics. If we can handle Ronald Reagan, Ah-nold, Jessie Ventura, Sonny Bono, and Gopher from the Love Boat I'm sure we can handle a Baldwin brother.

July 7, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. The Marginalizer

Alec Baldwin would make an EXCELLENT replacement for Joe Lieberman. Lieberman fell hook, line and sinker for the war in Iraq, which even Cheney admits now Saddam had nothing to do with 9-11. This places Lieberman squarely in the same camp as W and Cheney....Losers R Us.

July 7, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Marcus Tate

Aren't there qualifications required to be an elected official, or can any actor run? Or just anybody who wants to? Maybe this is part of the problem with our government.

What are this guy's qualifications? What would make him a better elected official than the failures we've already seen, like Clint Eastwood, Jesse Ventura, Sonny Bono, and others? I also don't like Al Franken, and I believe its only a matter of time til he screws something up big.

July 7, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  7. Norma Labno

A couple of reasons Alec Baldwin should not run for Congress:

1. The deep as the Grand Canyon (and almost as abiding) bitterness
    between Mr. Baldwin and his former wife do not bode well for the
    actions he would take and the reactions he would have in his
    service to his constituents as a Congressman!

2. His vehement comments to his young daughter, referring to her
    as a pig, in and of itself, preclude him from running for any office
    whatsoever!

At present and in the foreseeable future, Mr. Baldwin is precisely
    where he belongs!

July 7, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  8. Dan

Yeah, good luck with that, Alec. I don't know that a bigger nut-case has ever run for public office. The expletive-laden audio clip of you verbally abusing your daughter alone would do you in.

July 7, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  9. panem et circenses

I wonder if his "thoughtless little pig" of a daughter will campaign with him?

July 7, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  10. Rhonda

This is all America needs "Actors getting into Politics"...Give me a break! Come on America, look at California....This is a prime example of big name Hollywood Politics....America does not need anymore DRAMA, we have enough to deal with!

July 7, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  11. Jeff from Jersey

Freaking out at the airport won't help him.If I can remember that you know the media will.

July 7, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  12. southerncousin

Another whacko left wing nut, Obama and Franken opened the doors for all of the folks who want to destroy this country. Thank you George Soros, ACORN and the unions for all of your criminal activities that have brought our once proud and honest country to this low level, may you all be found guilty of treason and pay the appropriate penalty eventually.

July 7, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  13. bglg2005

I don't like to shhot down a person dream or aspirations but lets make sure the people we choose have the educational background to hold the office.

July 7, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  14. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

They could nail him so quick that it wouldn't be funny. Baldwin should stay in acting. He could be a great activist or lobbist for his causes. At this point, there is no way for him to really get into elected office without being appointed.

July 7, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  15. DSH

Right now Donald Duck could run against a Republican and probably win. There is so much nonsense going on in the GOP it's pathetic.

July 7, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  16. Sniffit

Meh...if he does and he gets elected then it's our own darn faults for falling for the "famous people must be more knowledgable and fit for governing" garbage. It would be nice if we'd finally learn otherwise as a society, because it's really starting to get retarded.

July 7, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  17. deb0155

This is a joke – Alec Baldwin?! Yet another left winger nut case trying to get into Congress – what a surprise!

July 7, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  18. bill

I'm a huge fan of Alec Baldwin and think he'd be great as a politician. He'd face many scrutinies and much criticism...but...at least his life is already an open book. He's been in the public eye on many occassions and not just because of his film career. At least "what you see is what you get".

July 7, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Dennis

I wouldn't vote for Alec Baldwin for dog catcher. The guy is a total sleezeball.

July 7, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. RR

so he's just going to move somewhere, establish residency, and expect the citizens of that state or district to vote for him?

He needs to move to NY. They have a history of voting for outsiders who use NY to further their political aspirations: RFK and Hilary Clinton.

July 7, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  21. ItIsMe

Let's get all the usual GOP rhetoric dismissed early. It's ok for an actor to want to be involved in politics. I do remember a certain Republican actor in the White House. So before you just shut your eyes and scream bloody murder about a Hollywood actro turned poolitician, remember that. Thanks...

July 7, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  22. Jeff

Stick to the east coast, Alec. You'd get eaten alive by the Ohio Republican party. Sentiments are definitely shifting back to the right in the Buckeye State.

July 7, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  23. Dave

What a loser, stay away from my state!

July 7, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  24. Tim in NC

All I have to say is go watch "Team America", LOL!

July 7, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. Alec

We need another pin-head in congress.

July 7, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |