July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Bubbah

Wasn't he leaving the country when Bush got in? Did he return from where he went? He is a real patriot!!!

July 7, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  2. JohnR

My god! This is just too much. If there's one single person in the US that is NOT tempermentally suited for political power, it's Alec Baldwin. It would be a fun campaign though. Imagine attack ads quoting from Baldwin's literally endless array of childish tantrums.

July 7, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. Scott, Tucson

But if he wins, would he pack up and move to England when the Republicans take back the WH in 2012?

July 7, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. charles

what is this, the plot from Team America? The US gov't will just be made up of celebrities soon.

July 7, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. Dan in VA

Good lord

July 7, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. Laura

Come be our governor in SC, Alec. I'd vote for you any day.

July 7, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. Matt in CT

Great, then we could have Canteen Boy skits along side Daily Affirmation with Stuart Smalley in the Senate.

July 7, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Larry

Ohio isn't interested in a celebrity turned politician. We have enough problems.

July 7, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Al Mellen

Go for it,,,,,why not. If Arnold can run California,,,,,,,Reagan ran the country,,,,not especially to my liking,,,,,especially when he fired all of the Air traffic controllers,,,,,a really dumb move, and certainely no consideration for all of the people's lives that he destroyed. A former wrestler,,,,Jesse Ventura,,,,who a lot of people said it would never happen,,,,,he ran his state quite succesfull. Good luck

July 7, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. kathy

I hope he reconsiders that idea. His arrogance and attitude are
    not what this country needs at this point. He needs to go away
    like Palin and a host of others.

July 7, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  11. Cowboy in West Texas

In an interview with Playboy – an actor for Political office – why not – a free country – at least I think we are still free.

July 7, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. Doug

I think Alec Baldwin is a fine actor but that does not a politician make. I find it funny that actors, whether they're Republican, Democrat or an odd Independent, think that their acting ability gives them some kind of political insight that the rest of us don't have. I guess that's why so many weak minded people cling to their every word.

July 7, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  13. Pete

Why is this news?

July 7, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. He's kidding, isn't he?

Hey Alec, we really don't want to hear your expletive landen rant to your daughter over and over in any campaign. Quit while you are ahead!

July 7, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  15. Ed

I'm torn. On one hand, I applaud Baldwin for wanting to get involved while so many other celebrities are content to live life in the VIP room. On the other hand, he lacks the diplomacy and tact that is so necessary in politics.

July 7, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  16. citizenjane

I would caution Baldwin otherwise. We already have enough comedy in Congress as it is.

July 7, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Jeff in Virginia

this guy is very sharp, even if you don't agree with his views.

good luck Alec.

July 7, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  18. kybill

I can not understand why and how people would vote for a carpetbagger, especially one who has been recruited by several state politicos who think they can convince the citizens to vote for a person who has no economic or social history with the people he/she is supposedly going to represent .

July 7, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. Randi L.

This talk of finding a place to carpetbag to is ridiculous. Maybe Ohio. Or Connecticut, or New Jersey. If I was from any of those places I wouldn't vote for any out-of-stater – even after he meets residency requirements. I don't think he could get through a primary.

July 7, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  20. Haren

CNN can you have political Ticker for senator Chuck Grasley's
    Iowa town hall meeting and his answer to public health care option
    to one of the questioner.
    Let us expose all these Hippocrates of republican party.

July 7, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  21. No one famous

Why is it that all these freak actors (and not very good ones) think they can govern?

July 7, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Sandy

Its one thing to run for an office in your own state or your own community, but why do people like this move from one state to another just to run for an office? And why do people elect someone who is not even from their state?

This is what happened with Clinton – she had nothing to do with NY, wasn't from there, had no ties there. But she moved there just so she could run for senator, and they elected her – because of her "celebrity" status and her husband's name. And to her, it was nothing more than a springboard to try a run for president, she didn't even give a hoot about NY, other than she needed the seat to fill her ambitions.

Haven't we learned anything? Why are we so infatuated with "celebrities"? Does someone need to be a TV star or an actor to get elected now? What a joke.

July 7, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  23. Joe

Washington could use Jack Ryan.

July 7, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. Pete Maneri

I have been a fan of Alec Baldwin's politics for a while now. I've wanted him to run for office for years. Well, I'm in Alec's district and would love to be the first to vote for him.

July 7, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  25. DStephen

Seriously? Does he not think that tape will resurface the moment he decides to run?

July 7, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |