July 7th, 2009

Alec Baldwin interested in congressional run

Alec Baldwin told Playboy Magazine that he would 'love to run against Joe Lieberman.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Emmy Award winner Alec Baldwin is eyeing a post-acting career that could take him off a Hollywood soundstage into the halls of Congress.

Baldwin, who currently stars in the NBC comedy "30 Rock," told Playboy magazine that he is seriously considering running for Congress. But he acknowledged his opponents would have plenty of fodder to use against him.

"I'll put it this way," he told the magazine. "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

A native New Yorker, Baldwin said he has been approached by an unnamed Democratic law firm who wanted him to run for governor of Ohio, and he has also considered moving to New Jersey or Connecticut to run for office. "I'd love to run against Joe Lieberman," Baldwin said of the Independent Democratic senator who is no favorite of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. But Baldwin dismissed the idea, saying "It's all fantasy."

In the interview, he emphasized his New York roots, and noted the unpredictable nature of politics, citing Gov. Eliot Spitzer and Sen. Hillary Clinton's resignations.

He also asked hypothetical questions about the future of Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Rep. Tim Bishop.

"How much longer will Chuck Schumer stay as senator? After 2013 Bloomberg will be gone. What happens then? Do I run for Congress on Long Island? What's Tim Bishop going to do? He represents my district. People get sick, die. They're offered lucrative deals and want to cash in and make money for their retirement. People misstep," he said. "Unfortunately, an opportunity for me may mean bad things for someone else. I don't wish that."

Asked if he had ever turned down a sketch on Saturday Night Live, because it was too outrageous, Baldwin responded, "Probably a few. It's hard to remember. I'm often asked if I think about going into politics. If I do, these guys will have a field day. I've given them so much crap to use against me… If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Dave

Wait 'till his opponents replay his tirade on the answering machine. This will be hilarious!

July 7, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. Melissa

The last thing we need is yet another star that thinks they know politics. Granted, the stars can handle the media better than people like Palin can.

July 7, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  3. Dean

Move to Minnesota. They would love you there.

July 7, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  4. Oy Vey

Let me get this right. He wants to move wherever he can so that he can run for office in whatever state he wants to? How does he expect to develop a loyal constituency? How could he effectively represent the people of the state he moves to?

And do you really think he'd win? I think not!

July 7, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. Reality

Alec Baldwin running for public office would be the best move for his "comedic" career. 3rd Rock writers couldn't write a funnier script than the reality of "Alec 'loose cannon' Baldwin" running for office. At a time like this in our country, we ALL need a good laugh. Please, Alec, run for office. I need to laugh.

July 7, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. Legna

Not worth commenting on!!!

July 7, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  7. Fed up

Wasn't he supposed to move out of the country when Bush got elected?? Too bad he didn't. Just what we need, another celebrity has been trying to become a politician. They should just move the white house to Hollywood!

July 7, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  8. Enlightened Voter

I'd vote for him in a heartbeat, he's honest and given the fact that we just had a drunk clown for president (bush) and a clueless pathological liar (palin) running as VP he certainly is the better choice.

July 7, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. Bella Downell

Don't care for this idea at all since Baldwin has demonstrated a hatred for opposing views. At least 1/2 this country holds views opposite of his so he could not represent much of his constituency at any place unless he went to NYC, LA, or Broward County. His view of politics is to destroy the other side, and nothing else.

July 7, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. nom deplume

He has enough screws loose so he may yet make a good senator. Isn't there a rule that each state has to have at least one ridiculous senator? Some states have two.

July 7, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Anonymous

C'mon brother, you're just not that bright. Of course neither are the current members of Congress but that doesn't mean we can't start cleaning house now. And that doesn't mean you're needed.

July 7, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Hugo

Great! Another dysfunctional Hollyweirdo to lead the Democratic party. I must say at least he has had a job before, even though it is kind of playing make believe... I can see it now on the Senate floor, Baldwin calling Boehner a filthy little piggy for standing up against wasteful spending.

July 7, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. Deborah

I would say fat chance, but Al Franken was "elected". Maybe if he ran, they could count the votes enough times and he would actually get a seat!

July 7, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. Karl in Charleston,SC

This from the man who wanted to abandon America for France because his candidate lost the Presidency? PLEASE!

July 7, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. Johnny V

Yeah, a lot of baggage attached to Mr. Baldwin. I don't see that happening.

July 7, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. Nag

Alec Baldwin would make a better Senator than most of the cartoons we have out there right now.

Although if he does decide to do it we will miss Jack Donague.

July 7, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  17. Enough

Democrats pick their candidates based on popularity and not substance. This is what you get, a washed up actor to go along with that clown Franken. How does being a celebrity qualify them to become a politician?

July 7, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. D-Nice

Someone's been inspired by Al Franken.

Baldwin seems like a decent enough guy, but all that stuff with his divorce and leaving an expletive-laden message on his daughters ansering machine isn't going to look good in campaign ads.

Good luck to him if he does decide to run.

July 7, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. Paul Howard

What an idiot! I thought we promised to move out of the country, so what is he still doing here?

July 7, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. casual_observer

Oh please!!!! Yet another sheltered, out of touch liberal to tell us what to do. What are his qualifications – "I am not a president, but I played one on TV" type?

July 7, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Ron In California

I thought I would never find someone worse than Al Franken to hold public office.....well Baldwin isn't but he is darn close.

July 7, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. MEL IN florida

It's allright, after all Reagan was an actor.

July 7, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  23. A. Henry

Wait! I thought he was a French citizen now. You mean he didn't leave the country when Bush won a second term, like he said he would?

July 7, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  24. Laurie in Spokane

Please don't run for office. We don't need MORE tabloid reporting on celebrity/pol's lives.

July 7, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. John Z.

I'm no big fan of actors turned politicians like Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwartzenegger but Alec Baldwin is an intelligent and reflective man and shows a lot of substance instead of just image. I think I could support his candidacy.

July 7, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |